Thread: RP Rooms

Lightbulb RP Rooms

Hey, guys!

Many months back, I developed a topic based on Roleplay 'rooms'. These rooms are locations designated for RP designed around the premise of variety. It gives a twist upon the classical clearing/valley that everyone is used to, and allows for additional content to work with when RPing; creating a bit of a spice to your traditional location.

Ever since the previous topic with my creation of the room: Grassy Plains, we've had amazing amounts of development within this small premise that grew to become a community owned environment. We, as a whole, created a new twist; that spice that RP occasionally needs to get things rolling.

The reason why I bring this up here as opposed to resurrecting an old topic, is that I want to work on developing more environments than what we have out there as used currently. I want to involve as many members of the community as I can so we can create these many locations instead of a handful. So, tell me... what do you want to see as a room for public roleplay?

A few ideas that I have been tossing up for the past week or so has been focused around tundra-based climates. Perhaps we can have a room that's based on the location just around the fiendish city of Kirasanct? Or maybe one within the harsh desert environment surrounding Tazoon? This is why I bring this topic up once again as I desire to create these rooms with the community currently present - to tailor these rooms to everyone's liking.

So, once again, tell me what you want to see and let's get this rolling!

Default Re: RP Rooms

Definitely for this! We use to have a Pub back in the day which was probably the best time I've had. It was interesting, had a setting, and wasn't a plain or valley =)

Suggest that you don't make to many rooms, or you'll thin out the RP crowd. But definitely have a few. I think a few already exist. Ssilmath has an armory in Sslanis I need to join that room next time he's on and I'm not too distracted.

Indeed, Chioxin is correct. I do have a channel open to all who wish to come and RP. Description is here : http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=25425 Feel free to drop by, it is friendly to mammals, Sslik and dragons alike. And if Ssil is not there (Out in another channel), then its child Sati will be there.
    Ssilmath Torshak, Paladin of the Lost, Shaman of the Damned, Master Armorsmith

My other "crack would be cheaper" hobby
    http://ssilmath.deviantart.com/

I had tried opening a RP channel dedicated to physical training, and from friendly wrestling to rough sparring, located ICly at the arena coliseum, but it didn't work.

Ouuu, I know my dragon would certainly love an excuse to spend more time in a hot desert atmosphere x] As a hatchling she barely left Tazoon unless necessary.

I wouldn't be surprised if I'm the only one for some of these, but my wishlist is:
    • somewhere in/around Tazoon: I love Tazoon. Lots. While in-game reasons to trek out there are not always the greatest (we call it Lagzoon for a reason) role-play channels based there would be wonderful. Not to mention there's tons of possible reasons to go there ICly. Commerce? Business? Social calls? So many excuses.
    • a lower-rated and/or social channel: sort of in the vein of what Chioxin mentioned (I miss that pub!), but basically: when I keep an eye on the main Role-Play channel, I see a lot of super-dramatic things. Fights, magical rituals, etc etc-- all of which, I want to be clear, are 100% cool and fine and awesome. But if my characters want to get into fights or pull out complex magic or etc etc they go out adventuring. When they want to go relax in a social environment, they want somewhere relatively peaceful where they can talk to people, maybe have a little fun. I haven't heard of any channels consistently like that these days, especially that'd be properly biped/civilization-compatible. Things like, oh... a tavern, or maybe a pub? Again: dramatic RP totally has its place and I don't want to do anything to prevent it if that's what people want to do. Some sort of tavern setting might even help people set up more dramatic RP-- no reason you couldn't be making shady deals or exchanging info off in one corner at a poorly-lit table, as long as you weren't disrupting the overall atmosphere, right? But boy would I like somewhere for my characters to relax knowing that it was safe to kick back and have a drink or whatnot.

All I can think of off-hand. Quite happy with Ssilmath's armory, and the Grassy Plains is good though I don't go there as it's not what I'm interested in. Can't do a lot with the main Role-Play chat either for roughly the same reasons. So... tavern? Maybe? Yes? In Tazoon?? *big watery Thickle-eyes*

Nah, don't think you're at all alone Thickle! I'd love to see Tazoon, and I already know one other player who would dearly love to see Tazoon as a setting for a channel RP. They'd also love to see it JUST so that maybe... MAYBE.... RP'ers will actually GO to tazoon to RP on occasion Which I can agree with.

Quote Originally Posted by Thicklesip View Post
    a lower-rated and/or social channel: sort of in the vein of what Chioxin mentioned (I miss that pub!), but basically: when I keep an eye on the main Role-Play channel, I see a lot of super-dramatic things. Fights, magical rituals, etc etc-- all of which, I want to be clear, are 100% cool and fine and awesome. But if my characters want to get into fights or pull out complex magic or etc etc they go out adventuring. When they want to go relax in a social environment, they want somewhere relatively peaceful where they can talk to people, maybe have a little fun. I haven't heard of any channels consistently like that these days, especially that'd be properly biped/civilization-compatible. Things like, oh... a tavern, or maybe a pub? Again: dramatic RP totally has its place and I don't want to do anything to prevent it if that's what people want to do. Some sort of tavern setting might even help people set up more dramatic RP-- no reason you couldn't be making shady deals or exchanging info off in one corner at a poorly-lit table, as long as you weren't disrupting the overall atmosphere, right? But boy would I like somewhere for my characters to relax knowing that it was safe to kick back and have a drink or whatnot.
    This is actually very important to me and the reason why I stay out of a lot of RP channels at the moment. It's certainly exciting to have! But I also value just a place to hang out and RP a character in such a casual setting. One with out exploding rocks and swirly eyed soul sucking demons waiting for me [Like Thickle! Not a bad thing! There are moments I adore such things!] I think even "Gasp" Melisan would LOVE a place like this. *Wink wink!*

*fears what could happen in a pub/tavern if some big adult or ancient dragons drink too much :P

Quote Originally Posted by LungTien Temeraire View Post
    *fears what could happen in a pub/tavern if some big adult or ancient dragons drink too much :P
    I just go there for a snack.

::eyes gnomes::
    Maekrux Vythulhar, the Blue Phoenix
    "Resurgam!"

eFear?? Thats what makes it fun! LOL

Great idea stars - wish I had the time to even think about subbing right now but between my other games and RL tornadoes shifting my work around..things have been hectic.

But definnitley some type of tavern room I think would be awesome - great for little gatherings and parties where players would want just hang and talk and not feel pressured to come up with big plots or action-filled scenes.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

I approve of the Tavern idea.

When Cole isn't at the clearing, Plains, or out training, he's lazing around in the New Trismus tavern. (even though it dosent give the buff, i still consider it a tavern. >:U) so, yeah. *thumbs up*
    Cory
    ------------------------
    Coleraon Pesong, Warrior of Order

Wonderful ideas guys,
    To sum up a few posts, everyone seems to be interested in:

Tavern/pub (Social Gathering)
    Tazoon/Desert around Tazoon

I'll wait for a little while to see if more ideas pop up before I create the rooms! I'm really excited to see all the enthusiasm for such an idea. This'll be a great community project that I hope will turn out as successful as Grassy Plains!

Snowy place with some hot springs?

My character is stuck fighting in cold areas continually... which she doesn't really enjoy, so I would imagine she would try to rest in some place that is warm and isn't too far away.

You could put the tavern around/near the hot springs, although that might make it confusing if people are roleplaying both inside (in the tavern) and outside (near the hot springs).

Quote Originally Posted by Shemonster View Post
    Snowy place with some hot springs?

My character is stuck fighting in cold areas continually... which she doesn't really enjoy, so I would imagine she would try to rest in some place that is warm and isn't too far away.
    I think that's a good idea, Shemonster. Many, many characters have reason to visit a hot spring in a snowy region. They all end up in a snowy region at some point for training, hunting, or other purposes and few would turn down an opportunity to take a warm break.

The tavern should probably be separate, for logistics if nothing else.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Why not a structure built up and over half of a hot spring! =D This could be magnificent! And it would be kinda 'pub' like and yet have the space for dragons =)

But, I really like Tazoon. My vote is still there! Just thought I'd add to the hot spring idea

aww yea a bar with a hottub...

We know how to live it up! =D

But yes, barring that wonderful reality *giggles* - it would certainly be possible/feasible/practical to have a "Tavern" and a "Spring Outside Tavern" room seperated so as not to be confusing.

To help keep people together though they COULD share an OOC room.

And if you are not doing that Stars, I highly suggest every IC room have an OOC room counterpart (Or at least one chatroom that everyone shares OOC wise to help with communicaton and non-IC comments - its a huge part of the fun!).

I know KCEROleplay always had "KCEOOC" room, "Ye Olde Pub" had "Ye Olde Pub OOC" room to go with it. Anyone who joined one was always immediately informed by the members of the room to join the OOC room that was associated with it so everyone stayed on the same page (with a single "Hey please join our OOC room - xyzooc! given in brackets when they joined the chat).

So if you aren't making that a common practice I highly enoucourage it! Plus, when there's no active RP going on for whatever reason it still gives a fun chatroom for everyone to hang out in while they do other things. Really fosters that sense of community as well. IMO. Just a requirement for any IC room!
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Frith brings up a really good point I'd forgotten about. It is extremely important to do this. One of the things that turned me away from other places is that as soon as the [[ ]]'s started showing up... it was hard to get people back into RP in that channel. It's much easier if there are two different rooms for it.

Aaah, yes. Those rooms will accompany the RP rooms once they are up and going.

It seems that this topic is pretty much complete! I'll be setting up the rooms either today or tomorrow. We have a great line-up of locations and I hope that these will give everyone that fun variety that I am sure many of us seek at times.

Room Listing:
    Tazoon (Tazoon OOC Accompaniment)
    Hot Springs (Hot Springs OOC Accompaniment)
    Tavern <---(This one needs a name! Anyone have any ideas?)

Now all we need are descriptions for the rooms. If anyone would like to contribute, post here! I would like to keep it semi-vague to give it leeway for expansion and development; more of a generalized summary of the location. I can develop a description also, but I feel it would be great to have some community input about it (Maybe a little addition from each member?)

Hey guys!

I just wanted to let you all know that the rooms are up and available to join. They consist of:

Tazoon
    Hot Spring's Tavern
    Hot Springs

Feel free to join and invite whomever you wish. I want this to be a big thing for the community to enjoy, so by all means, let's make it happen!

Thread Information