Thread: Getting old or just normally frustrating?

Hybrid View

Default Re: Getting old or just normally frustrating?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Fratricide
    My only problem with Windows7 is the whole "standby" memory "feature". I know that it may be faster for a much used program to already be in memory, but what if I'd rather have all that memory sitting Idle.. not actually doing anything? No off switch for the feature.

Never had a problem with this, but then I'm sporting 8GB.
    Ya... Im actually running 12GB atm... Like I said.. the thing is kind of weird, leave it running and I get all kinds of mystery items stored in memory that aren't directly linked to any programs... apparently... and logging fully out has no effect on the thing.

And I typically leave it running because a lot of the time, Ill have a Terraria server running for some folks to play on, though not always.

As for the Dosbox program.. Ill have to look into that. I hadn't found an emulator that I liked that would run those old programs.
    Elated that HZ is no longer in the hands of the Infidels.

Now.. I may have to split my time between 2 games... CS:S and HZ...

Quote Originally Posted by Fratricide View Post
    Ya... Im actually running 12GB atm... Like I said.. the thing is kind of weird, leave it running and I get all kinds of mystery items stored in memory that aren't directly linked to any programs... apparently... and logging fully out has no effect on the thing.

And I typically leave it running because a lot of the time, Ill have a Terraria server running for some folks to play on, though not always.
    Probably memory leaks or the OS not cleaning up properly or something.

As for the Dosbox program.. Ill have to look into that. I hadn't found an emulator that I liked that would run those old programs.
    You will want a front-end program like D-Fend or something; there's lots of .ini files and crap to mess around with otherwise. If you use D-Fend, it sets everything up for you (and gives you a very easy-to-understand configuration system) and you can set up profiles based upon each game, etc.

D-Fend + DOSBox has run everything I have, anything between Warcraft 1 to Heretic to Win3.1 without a hitch. It is so simple and easy to use that once you get it set up, anybody can use it. Even set up Warcraft 1 for my mom, even, and she could use it and she has almost-zero tech knowledge.

DOSBox is marvelous.
    I still play Master of Magic from time to time on it, or once in a while my all times favorite: Alien Legacy

And not to be completly offtopic - what i missed most from winxp is Hyperterminal, but they removed it due to licensing issues
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Thread Information