Thread: PvP Isle

Default PvP Isle

I've been looking at some threads throughout the forum and I've noticed that people are getting abit "worried" that most new players are leaving or that it gets boring once you've finished everything. So, I thought about something that could give people something to do and give them a reason to get together for some other reason pther than an ascention or an epic hunt.

Istaria has, I think it was 3, abandoned islands (new Coraellia, New Vassarak and one more). One of them could be "revived" as a PvP Isle. 2 or more group bases could be addedto the isle for groups (like at the arena, except more groups). this way players could get into bigger groups and run around the Isle searching for eachother in a more exciting environment. I know that people are gonna start saying that is too hard, and they don't have time, and this and that. So, this is an idea for some time in the future.

Something else I thought that takes it anotch further but could perhaps be added afterwards is that there will be games. Like: capture the flag or conquer the enemie's something like that. Just to give a variety. Players would be automatically rezed at the end of the games to prevent the games from going on in a never ending cycle.

Note, the basic idea is a PvP Isle. The rest of the ideas are mine.

Default Re: PvP Isle

There's a pretty big discrepancy between the combat abilities of the different schools. That sort of imbalance in conjunction with making PvP a prominent feature of the game will result in a whole bunch of really unhappy players who keep getting smeared all over the place by those who have more powerful character builds. (Imagine: a three-way rant-fest between dragons, normal bipeds, and "uber-peds".)

Compensating for the imbalance is non-trivial and will have a significant cost. Dev time aside, the patience and willpower of the players will suffer, as it will drastically alter the current PvE experience and efficacy of existing character builds.

Translation: probably not a good idea to implement.

Someone responsible for the game's design aspect may choose to weigh in, though I don't think your proposals will get a warm reception there either.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

I second what Steelclaw said, the game is just not made for mass PVP

Also you mentioned that the older starter islands aren't being used for anything, though from what I remember those islands are now where the seasonal festivals are held *still waiting for her first gnomekindle*

There is already a PvP Island called Battle Isle. You are welcome to go there and challenge your friends.

The former training islands (New Vassarak, New Koraelia and New Brommel) are being put into use as festival islands.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Malaya View Post
    I've been looking at some threads throughout the forum and I've noticed that people are getting abit "worried" that most new players are leaving or that it gets boring once you've finished everything. So, I thought about something that could give people something to do and give them a reason to get together for some other reason pther than an ascention or an epic hunt.
    I really don't see the population going down. If anything there are more ppl than before [on Chaos].

Finished everything - In 7 years I still haven't finished everything. Is there an end point? I suppose people may decide to move on for various reasons, but they always come back at some point.

Just an observation from me, but you can't take everything said on the Forums as 'face value'. Not everyone posts on the forum so all you get is a snapshot of the player bases views and not always the true picture of current events.
    Chasing
    Chaos Shard
    Scarlet Dawn

PVP battle isle is available if people want to battle each other. if anything I see more problems in PVP based games then PVE based. Istaria is good as is. XD

As for people leaving? only peeps I see coming, and leaving are younger players who cannot get their parents to pay for a sub after their 14 day trial. And actualy many long time players are coming back.
    plus remember the economy isn`t the best right now, so if some people are leaving it`s most likely a financial reason not a bored from gaming reason

I`ve been playing for about 5 years now, and I`m no where near end game.

Quote Originally Posted by Malaya View Post

Istaria has, I think it was 3, abandoned islands (new Coraellia, New Vassarak and one more). One of them could be "revived" as a PvP Isle. 2 or more group bases could be addedto the isle for groups (like at the arena, except more groups). this way players could get into bigger groups and run around the Isle searching for eachother in a more exciting environment. I know that people are gonna start saying that is too hard, and they don't have time, and this and that. So, this is an idea for some time in the future.

Something else I thought that takes it anotch further but could perhaps be added afterwards is that there will be games. Like: capture the flag or conquer the enemie's something like that. Just to give a variety. Players would be automatically rezed at the end of the games to prevent the games from going on in a never ending cycle.

Note, the basic idea is a PvP Isle. The rest of the ideas are mine.
    I have been here off and on from 2006. I am a dragon with 100/100/100 and I still find loads of things to do.

I congratulate you on your upcoming one year here but I can't even imagine that anyone even the old old timers have done ALL there is to do in game.

And I agree PvP for this game is just silly, if you don't believe AmonGwareth, take a trip up there and challenge someone.

As a dragon I would try another dragon but I would never go up against a biped, for instance a ranger. I have seen them fire off volley after volley from huge distances. By the time I got close enough to even hit them I would be smushed.

While it's true that there are alot of class differences that would directly make PVP difficult, what about PVP ONLY abilities? I.E. some additional, new, different, and hopefully "balancing" abilities, that only work in PVP modes, on the pvp island, etc. ?

All the existing classes don't need worried about. Implement it as a "new school" and most everything else from other classes cannot master to the pvp school. So a player has to talk to a pvp trainer and switch schools before they can PVP at all.

There can be say 3 or 4 pvp schools, so theres a bit of variation. Balancing would only have to occur among and between these 4 schools. PVP schools abilities would not master at all so as not to affect each other or any PVE content.

Warrior PVP School (melee)
    Cleric PVP School (healing)
    Druid PVP School (spells)
    Ranger PVP School (ranged)

Melee school could be a high armor, high health, tank-like build, lower damage
    Healing school would be heals and buffs, moderate armor.
    Spellcasting school would be the paper-armor class but high damage spells.
    Ranged school would be paper-armor class but high damage arrows.

Just saying, it's probably possible to add functionality along side existing schools.

Dragons could easily do the warrior, cleric, and druid flavored pvp schools. the ranged melee one is the only one that wouldn't make sense to allow them to do.

If something along these lines was worked on, players might get excited about it

What Guaran said is most probably the only way of doing "real" PvP in istaria at the current point, if you really want to do that.

I'm sure, I would be out quite fast, if the devs would start tinkering on my adventure schools which I had quite a hard time to earn, although I'm "only" around rating 140 with my most played biped (so far from "uber").
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Thread Information