Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: WoW vs. Hz

Ziggy

Default Re: WoW vs. Hz

WoW was great in beta and best of all it was stable, just don't get too frustrated with the first week of lag and bugs. ALL new games are like that, never forget that. Horizons is almost a year old and it's less stable now than it was at launch. Horizons = huge potential but WoW = reliablity and quality. I got the game today and i can't wait to get home!

Quote Originally Posted by Gorron
    I wasn't aware of that. Is there anydifference between the primary and secondary crafting school(s)? I have no idea if mining or blacksmith was my primary, or if there is a difference.
    Linky linky! http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/professions/
    TIGRIS EUPHRATES and TEKKA RUNECLAW. Istarian Veteran, The Original Order Shard Herald, Herald of the Spirit Shard. Storm Disciple, Flame Disciple, Spirit Disciple, Ice Disciple, Monk, Ranger, Healer, Druid, Spiritist. Grand Master Biped Crafter.

if you want a good crafting game wait for WISH. This game will directly challenge HZ's claim to number one crafting game.

Crafting is HZ's thing and AE is forgetting that. Yes by all means work on the adventuring side but realize HZ will never ever never be as good as WoW and EQ2 at the adventuring side.

WoW will have its audience and fan types and contrary what some around here are strutting in their vast insecureness they won't all be bnet kiddies and idiots. Some people will appreciate a product that delivers what was promised and does what it does and does it well.

Gorron

Thanks for the link. Looks like there are only 3 secondary professions: fishing, cooking, and first aid. So the max crafting schools you can have is 5. Didn't realize first aid was considered a crafting school; my orc warrior had that as well.

Why is Istaria even a crafting game, I mean what is so importent about crafting?

Quote Originally Posted by stephan27 View Post
    Why is Istaria even a crafting game, I mean what is so importent about crafting?
    What makes killing things more important than having clothing to wear, food to eat, potions to bolster you, armor to protect you, a sword to wield, spells to sling, and a house to live in? ;P

Wow, ollllld thread though.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

now this is what i call a thread rez!!!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Nolo contedere.
    Dragon Scroll; BLIGHT~Anam, Ahleah; CHAOS~Veruliyam, Ceruliyan, Jaguarundi, Spinel, Ssussurrouss, Chon; ORDER~Aucapoma, Susurrus

Personally I'd rather be playing Horizons than this version fo WoW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVhwwFHGEFI
    I just lost the game.

thats an awesome beat down on wow
    ^.^ *Speed Demon of order..*

Quote Originally Posted by Raptress View Post
    Wow, ollllld thread though.
    I must be zomby thread week... The second 5+ year old thread that relives
    Rvlion- LvL 100:100:100 - 59.3M - Lunus Ancient
    Gallinthus- LvL 100:42:41 - 6.9M - Hatchling
    Lohasbrand– LvL 4:3:0 – 1.0M - Hatchling
    Sslion- LvL 25 Mage, 25 Warrior, 10 Cleric, 6 Druid, 6 Monk and a few Craft Schools

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jerk-o View Post
    Personally I'd rather be playing Horizons than this version fo WoW:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVhwwFHGEFI
    Hhahahahha!!

That was great. XD

But yea, talk about old threat re-spawning from the depths of who knows where. o.O

I personally play both now :P Is a lot of differences between the both imo, WoW you have raids which are 10 - 40 people so encourages a lot of interaction and goo dgear on the participents, u can mount to go faster flying mounts and stuff these days, Achievements which is a nice added touch before the latest addon, instances, battlegrounds etc etc.

The difference I find though that I like these days is i go to WoW to do my raiding in icecrown and instances but come to istartia to relx and do some crafting, the flexability of istaria is one of the key selling points imo build your char to what ever u wanna b wiehte rits amuliclassed what ever or just aplain warrior. The real difference i see is the maturity of the player base,there you get people asking questions and 9 time soutta 10 u get stupid answers but here its the complete opposite

Yea someone posting is REALLY bored apparently - they're just stuck in 2004/2005 (heck I didnt know these went back to 2004..lol).

I too play both - have for years. But you really can't compare the two - its apples and oranges. Depending on what you like would determine how happy you'd be with both. I know plenty of gamers who would hate Horizons because of its completely "unfinished" feel, engine problem, endless amounts of grind you can't get away from, datedness, etc.

But then there are plenty of Horizon players who "hate" WoW (though I'd challenge half of those have never set foot in the game) - for their own reasons. I don't know what they are - I love the game and spend far more of my week in it than in Horizons because of the reasons listed above...

But ultimately they're very two differnent MMOs - about the only thing they have in common is they are both MMOs, and they are both in the fantasy genre..heh.
    Frith-Rae BridgeSol
    Great Elder of Keir Chet K'Eilerten
    Iea has returned.

Quote Originally Posted by Frith-Rae View Post
    But ultimately they're very two differnent MMOs - about the only thing they have in common is they are both MMOs, and they are both in the fantasy genre..heh.
    That and grind. Lots and lots of grind. But thats a common symptom of all MMORPGs these days, not something one MMO has in abundance over any other.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    That and grind. Lots and lots of grind. But thats a common symptom of all MMORPGs these days, not something one MMO has in abundance over any other.
    While this thread is a huge necropost, I will however comment on what Amon just posted.

WoW has made great leaps and bounds to re-define "MMORPG" and "Grind".

Grind exists, but they have found lots of ways to cover it up, hide it, sweep it under the cover, or coat it with sugar.

Everything from Daily Quests (it slows you down and stops you from getting to your goal too fast, but yet doesn't require hours upon hours of grinding the same thing) to Dungeon Emblems (allowing you to get gear without praying for a boss to drop X item) to giving you many different options of places to gain XP, getting a character from Level 1 to Level 80 is one of the least painful in any MMORPG I've ever played.

Once you're 80, and get a starter set of gear, the Looking For Dungeon system is a very nice thing, I haven't seen something work that good in any other MMORPG either.

And Cataclysm is supposed to have even *more* improvements? lol.

the biggest difference from the 2 games ive seen is freedom,Istaria imo has unlimited freedom, the game allows a player to be and do anything thier heart desires, with all the multi-classing in both craft and adventure it opens such a wide spectrum of possibilities, its also a game of patience, it takes a long time to build your toon (and your plot/lair). when i look at some of the long time members in Istaria i see so many different kinds of playing styles, personalities etc, but 1 thing is common among all of them, dedication.not to offend any WoW players but that game to me is a teenagers game, reminds me of ADHD kids, as were Istaria is more geared for people who dont mind having to work long hours to just finish 1 task

Gothos of Chaos, second Saris of Istaria to achieve adventure rating of 278

Quote Originally Posted by Gothos View Post
    the biggest difference from the 2 games ive seen is freedom,Istaria imo has unlimited freedom, the game allows a player to be and do anything thier heart desires, with all the multi-classing in both craft and adventure it opens such a wide spectrum of possibilities, its also a game of patience, it takes a long time to build your toon (and your plot/lair). when i look at some of the long time members in Istaria i see so many different kinds of playing styles, personalities etc, but 1 thing is common among all of them, dedication.not to offend any WoW players but that game to me is a teenagers game, reminds me of ADHD kids, as were Istaria is more geared for people who dont mind having to work long hours to just finish 1 task
    I don't know if I'd call WoW a "Teenager's Game" or not, to be honest.

Many adults play, and enjoy WoW. It has things that allows people from all varieties to enjoy the game, of course, kids can enjoy it, and so can adults who have two jobs can enjoy the game too in the little time they got off.

Istaria takes quite a bit of doing the same repetitive task over and over again. It still has charm in its unique crafting XP system, and the fact you can play a dragon, and its multiclassing, but to be honest, I wish that there were a bit less "mindless" grind of doing the same thing over and over and over again without anything to disguise/cover up/etc it.

I love both games, mind you... though I think I'd love Istaria even more if we could get some more diversions from the simple grind. The T2 revamp was/is pretty nice, as it gives us lots of quests to do. Add a bunch more quests, and we'd be in business! lol.

I understand, though, that we don't have anywhere near as big of a staff to work on it, that's okay. I'm not blaming them....

Blog Entries

I have played WoW.. and I hate wow..
    Why? I hate quests. XD

Yes, I am one of those odd players who hates quests and rather go do things my way and do it the way I want to do it and not have something telling me how to do it.
    Then again, I also heavily love Istaria/Horizons. The reason I love this game is because it is free-forming, you have many directions you can go, amplitude of exploring(and so many things hidden unless your willing to stick your neck out and look, which I love), and you can go to many locations over and over again and always find something new!

That and I love a mature player-base, which Istaria has alot of.. and something WoW lacks in.

Ofcorse I am also use to grinding, after all, my next favorite game after this was FFXI. >.> That should tell ya'll something about me.

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

ditto on everything neva sez
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Thread Information