Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not enough unguarded resources

Exclamation Not enough unguarded resources

The upgrade to the mithril fields and some of the other locations was nice.. you added motherlodes. Good change.

Unfortunately you also beefed up security to those locations so much that there's no chance anything less than a lvl 100 ancient would have a chance at being able to gather for any length of time with the respawns being that fast.

Granted, it would be one thing if the boulder golems were harvestable for as much as a rich node (which was supposedly implemented but was not) or the normal golems even had as much as a normal node on them.

But they aren't.

Not only that, but why does someone need to be a high level adventurer to harvest material in the first place? What if I just want to be a crafter first so I don't have to bother everyone for my gear/spells/etc as I level?

Making it so you have to be the same level as the tier you're on (or higher) complete negates the point of crafting for that character if I can't make items until 20 levels after I needed them. And as far as hiring an adventurer to help... it takes a lot more than just one to keep 3-5 golems off you that respawn every 30 seconds.

Let's consider either creating an unguarded section of each tier of material (which everyone will use.. who really WANTS to be attacked by mobs? Especially ones that can't be harvested for even as much as a normal node?) or adjust the guards to compensate for the fact that there is no more balance with the distance gathering removal (Enjoyed reading about that in the patch notes, btw).
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Default Re: Not enough unguarded resources

This should be in the Rant section.

Just a little drunk dwarven bi-ped wreaking havoc in chaos.

I thought there was at least one field unprotected? And anyway, if you want mithril motherlodes unprotected, try the mine above Yewn. There were 2 mithril motherlodes and a platinum motherlode when I looked in there a few days ago.

I couldn't find unprotected mithril. With or without motherlode doesn't matter... Any idea where that is to be found?
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    I couldn't find unprotected mithril. With or without motherlode doesn't matter... Any idea where that is to be found?
    Western side of the canyons close to Wolf's Paw. You won't find any motherlodes in it.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Western side of the canyons close to Wolf's Paw. You won't find any motherlodes in it.
    So the slope near where the mine is?
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

It is across the road from Wolves Paw, on the right side of the dirt path.

Sooo.. the posts so far should be ringing the old bell there... people don't want to gather from guarded nodes. Which should have been obvious with the whole distance gathering... let's call it a glitch? no, that would mean it was unintended. Let's just say it's gone now. But people used it to avoid all the aggro when trying to craft.

Or is VI's stance that you must be a higher level of adventuring to gather from the tier that you need for that character? (I.E. having to be at least lvl 80 to gather T4 silk with all the spiders or 100 to gather in most T5 areas) Sort of makes crafting useless for that character if you're trying to be self sufficient. Especially if you require a rating of 130 or so to stand on a motherlode in mithril and successfully gather the entire thing, not to mention T6 resources.

Quote Originally Posted by Mensar View Post
    Sooo.. the posts so far should be ringing the old bell there... people don't want to gather from guarded nodes. Which should have been obvious with the whole distance gathering... let's call it a glitch? no, that would mean it was unintended. Let's just say it's gone now. But people used it to avoid all the aggro when trying to craft.

Or is VI's stance that you must be a higher level of adventuring to gather from the tier that you need for that character? (I.E. having to be at least lvl 80 to gather T4 silk with all the spiders or 100 to gather in most T5 areas) Sort of makes crafting useless for that character if you're trying to be self sufficient. Especially if you require a rating of 130 or so to stand on a motherlode in mithril and successfully gather the entire thing, not to mention T6 resources.
    It is human nature to always want everything as easy as you can get it. So it does not surprise me that people ask for lots of unguarded resources. And we do provide them. However, if you want the greatest rewards you must brave the greater dangers. That is simply how it is in Istaria.

For Mithril, to continue what the OP started, there are lots of unguarded regular nodes and a few rich nodes, but you will find no unguarded motherlode nodes. If you want them, you must go fight the Golems.

Now, I am open to reducing the respawn rate of the mithril golems a bit because more than one player has mentioned they might be too fast. But, I won't be making motherlode nodes available unguarded.

There is unguarded silk on Fabric Isle if you want to work it there. Is it the greatest concentration of Silk? No, it isn't. But again, that comes back to reward versus risk.

If there are resources that have no unguarded locations please let us know so that we can be sure and make some available.
    Last edited by AmonGwareth; May 3rd, 2012 at 11:57 AM.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I hear you Amon- and I understand your point of view.

But I think about my "crafter only" friends on the shards.
    They have a hard life anyway compared with adventurers.
    And they are the ones who say "I`ll do" first if someone needs something to be crafted, or someone asks for a load of whatever..
    Crafters only are important and precious for the community.
    In my eyes an unguarded motherload does/would not hurt.

And the glitch.. well I did not know about-besides the fact that Lov did not stop digging..I did stop current action and forgot about it.
    If the crafters had a good time with that "bug" - I am happy with them.
    They deserved that.
    After all those years begging for protection or dieing if trying without
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Yes, you are right. Most ressources have unguarded bits. With mithril there was a bit of trouble, of course, because it was new and nobody figured it out yet (at least nobody I asked and myself did not do much research... I thought maybe a canyon, but that was wrong, as I learned). Now that I know where the unguarded mithril is, I am quite happy digging around there.

I really think the main problem with mithril was, that it was new (and as you mentioned human nature, to like what you got used to and tend to reject new things that replace the old things). As far as I can see, the unguarded ressource stituation for mithril currently is much better than for marble or shining essence (found only few wisps near the essence structure that were not guarded, every time I stepped out too far, I had three to four grouks on my butt, maybe there is a better spot I don't know of?).
    Last edited by Garfonso; May 4th, 2012 at 07:06 AM.
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Is there any unguarded travertine around somewhere?
    If so, can somebody please let us know where?
    Thank you in advance! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ramaj View Post
    Is there any unguarded travertine around somewhere?
    If so, can somebody please let us know where?
    Thank you in advance! :-)
    There isn't at this time. I'm working on it for the next patch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    I hear you Amon- and I understand your point of view.

But I think about my "crafter only" friends on the shards.
    They have a hard life anyway compared with adventurers.
    And they are the ones who say "I`ll do" first if someone needs something to be crafted, or someone asks for a load of whatever..
    Crafters only are important and precious for the community.
    In my eyes an unguarded motherload does/would not hurt.

And the glitch.. well I did not know about-besides the fact that Lov did not stop digging..I did stop current action and forgot about it.
    If the crafters had a good time with that "bug" - I am happy with them.
    They deserved that.
    After all those years begging for protection or dieing if trying without
    See, to me..
    Istaria is about community. So if the craft only people wanted motherloads, why not ask a big ol' dragon lazing about to come aid them. The Big dragon gets to wack a few heads together, while the crafter mines.

Then by the end, the crafter may be even willing to give the dragon some of the hard earned resources as a thank you, since you know.. ze dragons. Zey love to hoard!

And in the end everyone wins, people played together, and brings the two different sides of the community even closer together.

I do understand the soloist attitude, because man, I have one heavy. However, I also know that Istaria is based around community, structure, and growth. That is our strong point that most MMORPGs miss, because they are so focused on PvP sometimes, they forget just what community is about.
    ..and sometimes, so do we players.

Quote Originally Posted by neva View Post
    See, to me..
    Istaria is about community. So if the craft only people wanted motherloads, why not ask a big ol' dragon lazing about to come aid them. The Big dragon gets to wack a few heads together, while the crafter mines.

Then by the end, the crafter may be even willing to give the dragon some of the hard earned resources as a thank you, since you know.. ze dragons. Zey love to hoard!

And in the end everyone wins, people played together, and brings the two different sides of the community even closer together.

I do understand the soloist attitude, because man, I have one heavy. However, I also know that Istaria is based around community, structure, and growth. That is our strong point that most MMORPGs miss, because they are so focused on PvP sometimes, they forget just what community is about.
    ..and sometimes, so do we players.
    The problem is, there is not always someone available to help with protection when the crafter is on. We had an epic hunt for the myloc queen today, tying up quite a few "protectors" for the duration of the gathering and ensuing battle. And that's assuming a crafter needing protection would be online at the same time as all of us, too.

I know from experience that takes a lot of paying attention to where mobs are moving as you gather resources in order to avoid them, and even then it is common to get jumped unexpectedly. I've gotten very good at avoiding mobs and surviving the odd hits while in cargo gear while in a lower adventuring class, but even I don't make it sometimes. That is why I am in favor of areas of unprotected resources.

That said, I think crafters complaining that [the unprotected resources are not near a shop with silos around it and a portal] is above and beyond what is reasonable to expect from developers. Take for example the complaints about the mithril motherlodes - how many have gone to the mine in the hill above Yewn guild community to gather from there? Everyone seems tunnel visioned onto the mithril canyons by Wolf's Paw/Old Oaks.

+2 thumbs up to awdz. Nail, meet hammer.

High level adventuring can be difficult, high level crafting has it's difficulties.
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

i played before there were mobs in the resource fields, and after. the whole time lvling up my crafts i was no higher than lvl 18 warrior. it takes a bit of practice to avoid mobs. now there was (once upon a time) more players willing to help guard you while crafting. those days are long past. most players now are either working alts, or out power lvlig other players. and no one really cares about crafters, till they need something made. you can spend days on end asking for help in almost any channel and not receive it.

we do not have the player base that some devs seem to adhere certain additions to the game for. you'd be hard pressed to find someone to even pay, to gather high end comps to craft gear with, if you are crafter only.

let alone a few other instances where it would be nice to have help.
    you don't take into considerations much, how few players there really are online, at any given time. and how many of them won't lift a finger/paw to help another player get items, if they can't get for themselves.

used to be a much nicer community when players helped each other more. as for myself, even i am so tied up helping ppl do things, i haven't had time lately to even level my own classes. so i do not have time to guard someone for hours gathering resources either. this gathering is not the only issue that needs to be addressed when it come to other players lack of willingness to help. (not so much that all do not help, as so many are also busy with their own things) so don't take anything here out of context. i have seen many that flat out refuse to do for anyone, and those that are so busy with others, they have no time for themselves.

then i see things like greater anchor (epic) get dumbed down so much a lvl 50 can solo it, but the Myloc Queen with almost 1 million HP and adds to heal her, needs to have stun/mez immunity.

as for resources, i've never found them to be a major issue in gathering from a relatively safe spot. almost every resource (of not all) have a safe place. i do not like the 3 step range we have now, it's far too small, so everytime a golem comes just 1 step too close you can't move away and continue to gather, you must stop everytime, as "you are too far from resource to gather from it" you could expand that a bit, so lower lvl players gathering from higher resource areas don't need to stop every 30 seconds to avoid the passing golem.
    Last edited by Merrik; May 6th, 2012 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merrik View Post
    i do not like the 3 step range we have now, it's far too small, so everytime a golem comes just 1 step too close you can't move away and continue to gather, you must stop everytime, as "you are too far from resource to gather from it" you could expand that a bit, so lower lvl players gathering from higher resource areas don't need to stop every 30 seconds to avoid the passing golem.
    That's how it works in every other game. That's how it's supposed to work. Deal with it.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

Quote Originally Posted by Merrik View Post
    i do not like the 3 step range we have now, it's far too small, so everytime a golem comes just 1 step too close you can't move away and continue to gather, you must stop everytime, as "you are too far from resource to gather from it" you could expand that a bit, so lower lvl players gathering from higher resource areas don't need to stop every 30 seconds to avoid the passing golem.
    If stopping to avoid golems is so troublesome, then...perhaps use an unguarded field? If an unguarded field does not exist, then bring it up to the devs. Amon's response about travertine shows that they are willing to act on that.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Quote Originally Posted by Xoshara View Post
    That's how it works in every other game. That's how it's supposed to work. Deal with it.
    There is truly only one set of people that make the policy of what is working as intended in this game. It is, after all, a fantasy game where the rules of physics dont apply. Let's be civil.

Back on subject, I would like to see some unguarded T6 stone nodes (as discussed) that would be an extremely overworked area considering the incredible difficulty T6 stone has for optimal processing. Which I think is really the biggest contributor to the headache of the T6 stone quarry. Having to dodge a golem once isn't too bad but when you're having to gather twice as much stone as you would normally, that's means you're dodging 3x, 4x as much as you should be already.

And maybe some T6 essence residue nodes? If there are some (in any form of grindable quantity) I haven't seen them.

Also T4 nodes unguarded. Any of those besides the one or two nodes on wisp isle? (counting enraged for the field north of feladan...)

Possibly some unguarded T5 essence somewhere a biped can get to? (I.E. not Drakul)

I found plenty of unguarded T3 and T4 fabric nodes west of aug. thanks for those! You moved the spiders across the road it appears. Great looking out for us!

Also wanted to say I understand the issue of not being able to get to mother lodes without risk. That makes sense to me. I just want a grind able quantity of smaller nodes. A rich node or two are gravy!

Thread Information