Thread: Why??

Default Why??

I do not understand why they implement these updates knowing full well that we are going to have all kinds of conflicts.
    Surely when they applied the changes they could see for themselves that the changes affected other operations of the game. One would think several of them would test even before putting on Blight.
    Why after all these years do we have to try to work around the bug created to our screen so the equipment, inventory, and other windows display like we have had them for years?
    When I log in now I see my pick in one hand and my hand satchel in the other...finally after 20-30 secs my character fades into view. Why? What was wrong with the way we logged in before?
    Once again.. which has been posted here many times....one thing is fixed and a dozen things are broken
    Now we will spend the next few weeks or more complaining and trying to cope with the bugs just to be able to play the game....oh joy!
    Not a happy camper with this May 1st update

Default Re: Why??

We lost a lot of competent and unfatiguing testers on Blight.
    I remember how it used to be.
    And I always was very appreciative, that players from live-servers (besides the wonderful Blighties) spend precious time and energy in that testing!
    I do not feel able to help with that-due to insuffient language
    and poor knowledge about technical things.

But its in our hands to make next patch more successful.
    Go and help with testing.
    And don`t say its VI`s duty.
    We all know that- but obviersly atm there are no resources and no menpower available.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    We lost a lot of competent and unfatiguing testers on Blight.
    I remember how it used to be.
    And I always was very appreciative, that players from live-servers (besides the wonderful Blighties) spend precious time and energy in that testing!
    I do not feel able to help with that-due to insuffient language
    and poor knowledge about technical things.

We all know that- but obviersly atm there are no resources and no menpower available.
    Yes I understand that the testers are fewer now. I do not log into blight to test because I do not have the time to test and play...my RL interfere with that
    But I still stand by my statement that they should not implement things are are gonna cause problems. Minor bugs are one thing but I just think that this latest patch should not have gone live.
    Many of us just want to log in and start where we left off. We don't need to be taking our playing time to set things up or trying to work around newly created bugs every time.
    Sorry thats just the way I feel about it.

I totally understand, Rock!
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by LOVWYRM View Post
    Nope.
    Testing game mechanics changes is impossible for people who have filled all their character slots with live-server characters, unless they want to pay for an additional subscription.
    "Ohoh...someone is actually trying to sell something, I see an attunement coming. LOL" - Teto Frum

You don't need to play on Blight if you want to test the new client. Just use the launcher to start character creation on blight, let it patch, close istaria and then play on live with "disable patching" selected.
    Only issue here is that you need to select "disable patching" every time you log in using the launcher.

The window issues all come from the client. I reported some of them before. If other people had tested, more might have been found.
    I also reported an issue with performance issues during player structure loading which finally got fixed.

Even in the last few weeks the message of the day told you to test the blight server on the live shards. They even posted how to in the forums and told you to please test the blight client, because it would go live...

It's very easy to test the blight client. More people should have done that. I hope in the future more will do... just look at the blight patchnotes and if it tells something about the client, try it.

Of course that won't help with debugging quests or detecting spawn issues and stuff. But the client stuff can easily be tested by all of us. And by "test" I mean just use the new client to play and note down what does not work correctly. Best is to find a way to reproduce it and not that down, too. There is no technical knowledge needed either. In fact often technical knowledge often leads you into false assumptions and hinders you from just observing.
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

Garfonso you are right, players can test blight if they want to but for me I just want to log in and play for the limited time I have to play many days. A lot of players including me dread Tuesdays every week because we could be in the mess that this May 1st update created. We now have to spend unnecessary time rearranging our screen and other things just to be able to play normal. To me that is not good enough.
    I honestly don't want to even log in knowing I have to set up my screen every time... and thats not just one time. I see many of us are having crash issues also. So that means set everything up again.
    Many of these issues we are having had to be visible the first time the devs logged in to test themselves. especially the windows issue.
    And my question still stands....why did this go live?

Actually, we did not have issues with our UI settings on our internal server or on Blight when we tested this.

So no, these issues were not visible to any of us on the development team when we tested it.

Because so few people did complain while it still was being tested.

Closing the inventory windows resolves some issues people were experiencing. But of course it messes up our interface.

The change was in the changelog for the blight client (i.e. in the istaria news ) in december already: http://community.istaria.com/news/?id=419
    So this change was active on the blight client for over five Months!

See here for my complaint and the reaction I got:
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=26074
    This was March 16th. Some people replied to that. Surely if more people would have complained about this new feature, it would have never gone live.

On April the 10th the guys from Vitrium begged you to test the new client ( see http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=26188 ). They also changed the message of the day when you login to something that begs you to test the new client.

Also the procedure to test the client is very easy...

As I said: You don't need to play on blight to test the client. You don't need to do much special. Patching usually takes only a few minutes and you can just normally play with the blight client on the live shards. And you don't need to do that all the time... only if there is some news about a new blight client, just give it a go from time to time. That's what I do. I don't have much time to play and test, either...

I'll just patch the blight client from time to time and play normally. If something is broken, I note it down, relog, patch to live and can continue to play. Then I complain in the forums (or submit a ticket, that is what they are suggesting). It's far less play time wasted than complaining when the thing did go live and they need to patch it to solve my issues.

The best example for the success of that way of doing things is this post (also by myself): http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=26232

If I would have ignored the blight client and all the begs to try it, like the most of you, I would now have to play with a client that horribly lags on my plot.. But I tried the blight client, saw the issue, noted it down, complained in the forums and with a very exhaustive ticket, patched back to live and could continue to play while the devs were fixing the issue.
    I wanna be ancient. Why is there no ARoP for Saris?

And nobody from Blight reported issues with it.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information