Thread: Lair Dimensions

Default Lair Dimensions

Could somebody please point me to a good breakdown of lair dimensions in the world and the size of chambers I can build?

In this case, searching these forums, Istaria Wiki, and Google don't turn up anything, and aren't my friend.

Thanks!

Default Re: Lair Dimensions

An easy way to look at lairs is to first take the dimensions and divide them by 24. This will give you a number of "blocks" that make everything else easy to look at. For example, my lair is 120x120x(I can't recall). It's a pretty standard "good" size because it's square. That's a 5x5xsomething. Next look at chambers. T1 Storage (aka silo) is a 1x1x1 block. A T2 is 1x1x2 as I recall (it's 2 lvls deep). Most corridors are 1x1x1, exceptions being that ramps are 1x2x2 and spirals being 1x1x2. Not all the chambers are square, but they all fall neatly into the block structure.

I'm not sure if they are still floating around on the forums here, but there used to be some docs showing all the various dimensions of the various rooms. They're proly pretty out of date at this point, but they're a good start. Worst case, you can look at chamber previews and figure out pretty quick how many blocks a chamber takes up.

Also, when looking at a lair to buy, remember that the dimensions leave out a 0 level of the lair. That's the level the entrance is on/top of the lair. Not all of the space is useable, because the ground above the lairs isn't all flat, so some lairs have a certain amount of lost space on their lvl 0.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

There is this sticky in the crafting sub section of the dragon forum. For a drawing of one person's lair, Thicklesip has a nice diagram of their lair in the community section of the Order forum. Those will give you a more visual example of what walkerglassmire is talking about.

So when lair shopping make sure the lair you purchase has enough room on each level for the rooms you wish to build. Meaning you can't fit a grand hall in some of the "chimney" lairs. Example: 72 x 72 x (it's really a well).

Those are helpful, but I would still like to find a list of the possible sizes that are out there, so I can get an idea of what I might want to have.

The sticky's help with planning something out, once I learn what shape lairs are possible. I've seen a couple of sizes out there 120x120x144 is one that seems fairly common.

Quote Originally Posted by Megadread View Post
    Those are helpful, but I would still like to find a list of the possible sizes that are out there, so I can get an idea of what I might want to have.
    I have never seen anyone compile information on the possible sizes of lairs, and I rather doubt it exists, but a couple notes:
    • No horizontal dimension can be less than 72 (3 "blocks").
    • It's extremely unlikely that you'll find a horizontal dimension greater than 144 (6 "blocks").
    • In general, you either get a wide lair (horizontally large) or a deep lair (vertically large)

If you have more specific questions about the possible dimensions of lairs, I encourage you to use Bristugo.com's wonderful unowned plot finder tool. Simply pick your shard, community type, and lair-vs-plot preferences and it will tell you what's available!

Related to that, C`gan has a spreadsheet over here that will show you sizes, orientations, and example maps for help planning/conceptualizing how big the various rooms are. Very useful, and very up-to-date-- I think the bulk limits for library rooms might be off, but everything else should still be accurate.

The spreadsheet showing the size of various chambers helps a lot.
    I have used the plot finder at Bristugo to get an idea of what dimensions are out there, but it only helps find what's for sale, rather than what's possible. However, it occurs to me that if a particular size isn't for sale, it doesn't really matter. So I'll go through the 222 available lairs and get an idea of what shape I might want. I see right away that a commonly available size is 120x120x144. I see three that are 72X96X240.

I think that's what I need to know.
    Thanks for the pointers!

Only other dimension that I know of that no one has mentioned yet is 144x96x144. That's 6 wide, 4 long and 6 floors deep. Basically a rectangular shape.

But keep in mind when buying a lair, to also consider the type of terrain your lair is located in. Just because the lair lists a certain dimension doesn't always mean you have complete access to all of it. The terrain can sometimes greatly impact what you can or cannot build.

So if you are planning on buying a lair that happens to be located on the side of a very narrow and steep mountain, it is very possible that a portion of the layout won't be available simply because the boundaries of the lair would "stick outside" the terrain. My recommendation is to look for a lair that has a relatively flat terrain if you want to make the most of your land.
    Last edited by Xanthia; June 1st, 2012 at 11:28 AM.

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthia View Post

But keep in mind when buying a lair, to also consider the type of terrain your lair is located in. Just because the lair lists a certain dimension doesn't always mean you have complete access to all of it. The terrain can sometimes greatly impact what you can or cannot build.

So if you are planning on buying a lair that happens to be located on the side of a very narrow and steep mountain, it is very possible that a portion of the layout won't be available simply because the boundaries of the lair would "stick outside" the terrain. My recommendation is to look for a lair that has a relatively flat terrain if you want to make the most of your land.
    The portion of the lair that outside terrain will impact is floor 0, which isn't included in the lair dimensions. Floor 0 is the freebie level, some lairs have more room then others on that floor but it does NOT shortchange you from the space in the listed dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dracaena View Post
    The portion of the lair that outside terrain will impact is floor 0, which isn't included in the lair dimensions. Floor 0 is the freebie level, some lairs have more room then others on that floor but it does NOT shortchange you from the space in the listed dimensions.
    I hate to be the one to say it, but you are not correct. It is in fact possible for the terrain to affect more than just the 0 floor (aka the free floor). How do I know? Because 1) I have own such lairs, 2) The lair I currently own does have this issue, and 3) I have friends who also own such lairs.

If you took a second longer to have read my post you would have notice me specifically stating that lairs located on very narrow and steep mountain sides can suffer from this. Picture what a volcano looks like and it becomes easy to imagine how more than one floor can be affected by terrain. Also note that I said that the terrain can sometimes greatly impact the lair. Indicating that the terrain doesn't necessarily always will. Like you mentioned sometimes it is only the 0 floor. I am merely suggesting that the person take this into consideration when choosing their lair.

In short, there is a possibility of getting "shortchange" if you happen to be that unlucky.

I lurk within the depths of your mind, for I am INSANITY!

I'm looking at a narrow and steep mountainside lair. If I buy it and find out I'm hosed, I'll have to look elsewhere.

a chimney you mean?
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Quote Originally Posted by Northwind View Post
    a chimney you mean?
    I'm sure what I'm looking at would be called a chimney by other people. I call it a place I won't get lost!

Yes, a chimney.

Don't forget to look here for the bugged lair list.

Quote Originally Posted by Xanthia View Post
    I hate to be the one to say it, but you are not correct. It is in fact possible for the terrain to affect more than just the 0 floor (aka the free floor). How do I know? Because 1) I have own such lairs, 2) The lair I currently own does have this issue, and 3) I have friends who also own such lairs.

If you took a second longer to have read my post you would have notice me specifically stating that lairs located on very narrow and steep mountain sides can suffer from this. Picture what a volcano looks like and it becomes easy to imagine how more than one floor can be affected by terrain. Also note that I said that the terrain can sometimes greatly impact the lair. Indicating that the terrain doesn't necessarily always will. Like you mentioned sometimes it is only the 0 floor. I am merely suggesting that the person take this into consideration when choosing their lair.

In short, there is a possibility of getting "shortchange" if you happen to be that unlucky.
    If the terrain affects more then floor 0, it is a bugged lair. That isn't supposed to happen. That said, be aware that the space DIRECTY below the lair entrance is low clearance and only a normal corridor will fit. You can't place silos, spiral passages, or any other rooms on the floor directly below the outside entrance. This affects only the first floor below the entrance.

Thread Information