Thread: Respawn times ( in general ) seem way too fast.

Default Respawn times ( in general ) seem way too fast.

As a lower-ish level character trying to make my way about, just now moving on up to Dalimond area, I'm finding that some particular creatures are near impossible to hunt due to respawn. I can carefully pick off one or two and work my way closer, but as soon as I kill one or two, they respawn mere minutes later.

I realize respawn is a tricky thing - you don't want everyone sitting around for ten minutes waiting, but at the same time, having near instantaneous respawn makes it impossible to work one's way through something. And while it is possible to ask for help, everyone seems to be 50+ rating/levels higher than me, or 10 lower, and I'd rather it be a challenge and not something that's just steamrolled, as that gets dull.

The specific example is the Fores Skulks northwest of Bristugo. I was trying to snag the shaman but, as the forest skulks are social like so many other things, I had to clear out some of his friends first. Problem is as soon as I kill one skulk and start fighting another, by hthe time the second one is dead the first one has respawned, and I've made no progress.. It's a bit daunting!

Default Re: Respawn times ( in general ) seem way too fast.

It has been awhile since I've messed with the forest skulks, but I did notice that even a high-level has trouble clearing out the camp long enough to actually loot the mobs.

I don't recall what I was doing, maybe working on the skulk slayer emblem or some-such, but I had brought my level 50-something cleric/warrior in there to kill some skulks... I could barely loot faster than they were spawning and I was killing each one in like 10-15 seconds or less depending on what abilities weren't on cooldown.

This was awhile back I will admit, close to a year ago. I don't know if it has been tweaked since, but I will admit I recall the spawn rate being a bit high.

Also, I noticed that the snow ogres (not sure what they're called now, all ogres are called "something-kuk") in Scorpion Island had a zero respawn timer a long time ago, but I don't know if that's still true.

Some mobs just weren't meant to be fought for XP; I guess we just have to live with that and kill crap that's easy instead.

That's likely an issue with the way the spawn daemon tracks spawned mobs. If a dev says "keep at least 3 monsters spawned in this region at all times", the spawn daemon will make sure that at least 3 monsters are spawned at all times.

Now, the problem is, what's the meaning of "spawned"? The current code interprets "spawned" as "alive". Thus, when you kill one, the spawn daemon goes "oh, I need to spawn more monsters!" -- instant-respawn. A slightly less literal interpretation would count dead monsters and those waiting on a respawn timer as "spawned" -- and stop the behavior seen by the OP.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. The many of the current spawn regions and their parameters have been tweaked for the current behavior. Additionally, the change in semantics would make it impossible to actually say "keep at least 3 alive monsters in this region at all times". In any case, changes of this sort require careful evaluation.

Thanks for reminding me. I stumbled upon this oddity awhile back and kept meaning to see what the other devs want to do. I'll bring it up internally as soon as things cool down from that other thread.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

For most, it doesn't work out the way the Original poster said.. I'm sure it works out for him as he gets use to the game, however, If there is any drop in respawn rates Anywhere in the game. For most of the population i.e. pretty much everyone else.. They would be negatively effected.

The spawn rates still are not fast enough.
    Examples?

Miths golem field?
    Cake walk.

Noxious maggots in doom?
    Sure they were fixed, but I can knock em down faster then they can respawn.. Way faster.. Its sad really.

Walking into the Eeastern Deadlands?
    Well I can tell ya right now that it looks pretty scary.. Suure at one point it was way to much for me. I'd walk in there and get picked a part in 1 minute flat... But now I can walk in and slaughter em all np solo. Its all about the right gear, the right buffs, and knowing when to attack

In all examples I was having problems at one point. These mobs would beat me down, and it was because I wasn't properly set up with wards/resistences and using the proper type of damage.
    If people take the time to ask/learn about the different mobs; Damage they are weak against and the type of damage they do.. They would likely start experiencing how easy all these mobs really are.

We all must learn that in this game "one size doesn't fit all!"
    However, If you set that gear up real good, you can decimate 1 type of mob like there is no other...

So I guess if the spawn rates are looked into, we should maybe look into educating our gifted players into the types of damge and proper gear. So the upper rated mobs wont be effected by any reduced respawn rates
    Last edited by Finkledbody; June 8th, 2012 at 01:45 PM.

Just a little drunk dwarven bi-ped wreaking havoc in chaos.

It does indeed matter what level and gear players have, but Losian makes some good points and is coming at this from the point of view of a player who is attempting these as a new player. Not at a high level multi-schooled character.

However, that said, some areas are specifically intended for multiple players. Take the Forest Skulk village near Fisher Lake as an example. Quests to it specifically recommend you take friends.

But, some of the spawns did have respawn rates in the 1 minute range so I have touched those up.

Ultimately though each spawn has intended behavior and has to be looked at individually. Feedback on specific areas is useful, but please be specific.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I recently done a few levels of my dwarf warrior (from 25-33). I had the right gear and weapon (thanks to some guildies who pointed out the benefit), But despite this I really struggled with 1 particular step of a quest.

Unfortunately I forgot the name, but it involves killing 10 skellies that count as tomb guards near King Cross. I went there when I was approx lvl 30. Killing the skellies (approx lvl 26-27) went reasonably ok. Unfortunately, I could not do it, due to the tomb beetles (lvl 26) being there. I had to kill both beetles first, then a skellie and during the time that I kill the skellie both Beetles have re-spawned. And often they came to interfere in my battle with the skellie as they seem to have a mega aggro circle.
    Whilst I have no problem that the beetles were much harder to kill (after all they got a strong shell on them), it was the sped with how quickly they respawned I had a problem. After fighting for over 2 hours (to kill 10 skellies!) I gave up and had to ask a guildie to assist in only killing the beetles for me so that I actually could concentrate on my quest for killing skellies.

I fully understand the OP point of view as i have experienced it myself. On a lot of area’s you have also the abilty to sneak around and progress that way (not easy all the time) but in small enclosed areas such as the tomb described, you have no choice and adjustments would be welcome.

As a 100/100/100 dragon the marble golem field needs a bit of tweaking. Although they don't really cause a challenge, (read easy to kill) they do spawn so fast that it makes mining there less than enjoyable. I can imagine how tough it would be for a lower level player (biped or dragon) to gather a full disk.

Unfortunately I forgot the name, but it involves killing 10 skellies that count as tomb guards near King Cross. I went there when I was approx lvl 30. Killing the skellies (approx lvl 26-27) went reasonably ok. Unfortunately, I could not do it, due to the tomb beetles (lvl 26) being there. I had to kill both beetles first, then a skellie and during the time that I kill the skellie both Beetles have re-spawned. And often they came to interfere in my battle with the skellie as they seem to have a mega aggro circle.
    I'll take a look at those spawns. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    As a 100/100/100 dragon the marble golem field needs a bit of tweaking. Although they don't really cause a challenge, (read easy to kill) they do spawn so fast that it makes mining there less than enjoyable. I can imagine how tough it would be for a lower level player (biped or dragon) to gather a full disk.
    More specifics about which marble golem field you mean would be helpful.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Will this help? I didn't put in arrows for all the directions but it seems this area N,S,E, and W.

Yes, thanks.

I'm with Mimir here and it is valid for both Marble Quarry and to Mithril fields at MA
    If you're out to get components - the respawn of the golems seems too slow - you always have to wait for them to respawn.
    But if you are out there to mine/quarry they are really an annoyance and makes mining/quarry a pain
    I guess it is rather hard to balance tho
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

Quote Originally Posted by Finkledbody View Post
    Miths golem field?
    Cake walk.

Noxious maggots in doom?
    Sure they were fixed, but I can knock em down faster then they can respawn.. Way faster.. Its sad really.

Walking into the Eeastern Deadlands?
    Well I can tell ya right now that it looks pretty scary.. Suure at one point it was way to much for me. I'd walk in there and get picked a part in 1 minute flat... But now I can walk in and slaughter em all np solo. Its all about the right gear, the right buffs, and knowing when to attack
    )
    Can I be in your fan club?
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Quote Originally Posted by Mimir View Post
    Will this help? I didn't put in arrows for all the directions but it seems this area N,S,E, and W.

I agree and would also expand to say the same thing with the little canyon on the north of that map. At the top, it's mostly safe. It slopes down and then levels out about where the 5 is. At that point, you can't quarry fast enough to keep up with the spawn. Again a 100/100/100 dragon here.
    SiLang Drag 100, Dcra 100, Dlsh 100 100M Hoard Ancient Dragon of Flight of the Order Shard
    Parcasta Storm Disciple 44, ARM 88, BLK 100, CRP 25, ENC 23, FIT 88, GTH 80, JWL 40, MIN 80, MSN 82, OUT 100, SCH 100, TLR 10, WPN 88, WVR 21

Thread Information