Thread: Temperature check?

Default Temperature check?

As I've noted before- I'm not good with hardware or knowing when I've entered a danger zone. Would someone who understands hardware and temperature limits please give me some feed back on these readings? I'm using CPUID's Hardware Monitor:

Screenshot of the read out

Text file log generated by the monitor.

Trying to search for info to compare the results to has been netting a confusing array of results given all the nuances. So if anyone more tech-minded is willing and able to help figure these results out, I'd greatly appreciate it.

If it's at all valid to the temp control: I live in a hot and humid environment, but we try to keep the house at 77 F both to keep it cool and to dry the air. The case is one manufactured by Dell for the XPS studio PC series. These were also all recorded while the computer was not engaged in any game, leaving the video card idle. I also have an exterior fan placed to blow along the back of the computer so the heated air it expels doesn't build up behind it. It's angled to blow the air away, rather than press it right back at the computer.

Thank you for your time!
    Last edited by Kyrieath; June 15th, 2012 at 12:31 AM. Reason: Clarification, as usual.

Default Re: Temperature check?

Those temps are great actually.
    I would start to get worried if they happen to go above 70C.
    Computers are naturally hot (according to human temperature preferences) because of all the electricity flying through them in a such a small space.

If you're still worried, try running an intense program then flip to CPUID and take a look at what your temps under a heavy load are too.
    Glindor Occulus - Ancient Dragon - 100/80/25 - (Chaos)
    FaffyMuncher - Half-Giant - 86 ELAR 30 RNGR 20 KNOC 30 OUT 25 BLK 15 MAS - (Chaos)

Cave draconis.

Quote Originally Posted by GlindorOcculus View Post
    Those temps are great actually.
    I would start to get worried if they happen to go above 70C.
    Computers are naturally hot (according to human temperature preferences) because of all the electricity flying through them in a such a small space.

If you're still worried, try running an intense program then flip to CPUID and take a look at what your temps under a heavy load are too.
    *tries to remember the conversion formula for Kyrieath's degrees F*
    70x9/5 + 32 = umm... 5 goes into 70 14 times, so 14x9... let's see... 36 and 90 --- oh and don't forget that 32 also! hmmm... 68+90=158 F.

Wowsers, I know I'm not a computer, if I ever got that hot I'd be dead instead of just starting to worry.

That's a relief to hear, Glindor, thank you! I did fire up a game that's been giving my computer some grief lately, though I admittedly have it set to low settings given how hard the high settings made it run.

Screenshot

The game in question was Diablo 3 with vertical sync enabled, screen rate set to 50 and all settings on low. I ran about for a few minutes and fought some things to give it a fair run and make sure it got a good read of the actual game load.

Is that an acceptable rise in the heat for just a five or so minutes of play or is it rising too fast?

---

haha, sorry, Awdz. ^^; I'm terrible about converting things to C. House is at 25 C, the average temp of the area I'm in can run anywhere from 31 C to 38 C, with high (usually 100%) humidity. I definitely wouldn't want to be in any room near hot as computers seem to run though.
    Last edited by Kyrieath; June 15th, 2012 at 01:48 AM.

Those temps look fine. For the CPU and video card, you can comfortably run them up to 65C without a second thought. 70C is where you can start to say "that's kind of hot". Your hardware will probably function all the way up to 100C, but don't push it that far -- unless you like hardware that's flaky at all temperatures.

Hard drives are a different beast. Keep those things as close to room temperature as you can. 35C is fine. 50C is not. The drive will operate at high temperatures until the electronics shut the drive down to protect it, however, you can expect a drastically reduced life at those higher temperatures.

As an aside, don't sweat the humidity (as long as it's not salty air). Computers don't cool by perspiration, so high humidity won't make them run any hotter than low humidity. That being said, very low humidity can be a problem, as moving air and spinning fans will build up static electricity and promote the accumulation of dust (not to mention increase the chance of a damaging discharge when you touch things attached to the computer).
    Last edited by Steelclaw; June 15th, 2012 at 03:50 AM.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Aah, thank you very much Steelclaw; I hadn't known about how different the temp requirements were between the hard drive and the rest. That might explain some issues I was having with some programs starting to act strangely when I'd noticed the computer running very hot a little while ago, before my last thread.

Thank you especially for the information about the humidity versus dry air; I hadn't thought of that. We generally try to keep the humidity down because of the red clay dust that permeates everything here; it's horrid if it gets inside any electronics while damp from the air, rather like glue got dumped in it. Didn't think the dryness might cause some issues too. Happy to say that hasn't happened yet. Think I might step up how often I dust it out with that in mind, though.

I appreciate the help and feedback.

Thread Information