Thread: On roleplaying

Default On roleplaying

I don't know if this will turn into a rant or not, but here it is:

I'm pretty new to Istaria, though I'm not new to roleplaying. I found MMO's back in 99, and wouldn't you know it, the first one I found was a true roleplaying game. You had to be 100% in character all the time, one server, no global chats, no choice. Given my experience with PnP RPG's and various large world single player RPGs such as daggerfall, this gave me an impression of the fantastic potential of MMO's as RPGs (roleplaying games, stress on the rp).

So when I played the big MMO at the time, EQ, I was thoroughly disappointed, however I realized, seeing their numbers compared to my game's numbers, that MMO's would be going the way of hotbar and linear quest sans the RP. That has led me on a 13 year quest to replace the experience I had in that first game. You see, even while playing that game I was seeking to replace it, because I saw the potential for bigger worlds everywhere, I wanted MOAR people to interact with. If I knew then what I know now, I would have stayed there to the end, although the end did come after I had joined the military and could no longer play.

Now I have been looking for a game that's not like the rest, mechanically, and that supports the spirit of RP. I found the former here, and I was sure I would find the latter, and to some extent I have. However, in my limited experience so far on Order I have noticed that there is not much public roleplay. And what I mean by this is that the players do not assume their character's persona and walk around the world as such, speaking to others and interacting as characters.

What I have seen is a lot of emoting but not necessarily related to actual roleplaying. I have seen the wall of text style 'rp' in the roleplaying channel. But mostly what I have seen is people with bad names either speaking plainly OOC in public channels or masking it with ().

To be honest, while I'm looking for roleplay, I'm not going to involve myself in the 'roleplay' channel because I don't believe in it. My character is halfway across the world on a different island, you cannot see my actions in there, even if I get behind the IC explanation of global channels. (Is there an official one?)

I am looking for interaction based roleplay, where I don't know who I'm going to talk to from day to day or hour to hour. I have no choice but to react to what someone else is doing or saying.

Let me put it this way. I don't want to change anyone. I don't want to say you can't have the roleplay channel. It's not my place, and if that's your style then by all means. What I would like to see is a little more enforcement of the public channels, keeping them IC, by players (because you know GM's don't have time for that).

And if you see Vastian or Maculif running around the world, greet them in character, because that's likely the only place you'll catch me roleplaying

Default Re: On roleplaying

While I am from chaos mostly. I'm going to just give my 2c on the matter.

I understand your ideas for not joining the rp channel but what i believe is most people rp in it so they can A. keep doing what they are doing in game (which to me makes sense its hard to just sit around for a few hours and do nothing but move your char around)
    and B. Order's population is much smaller (but growing) but the likely hood of running around istaria and finding others to rp with your chars where you are at is very slim and most are busy doing other things ( i think) and probably won't notice your rping til they are out of range or may not at all.

There are others who share your belief or want of being character to character in game and rping I'm sure, just takes time to find them, id encourage joining channels and looking for these people.

best of luck
    ~ Agua

Aguarush said it well, you'll find some people who share your tastes and manners to RP. About names and various topics of RP, I suggest you to check the previous threads about it, on Rant Istaria Style and Role-Plays' threads, if you want to see others' opinions in the matter.
    And don't take me wrong, I'm not trying nor pretending to forbid or control the RP's discussions, just wanting to let know about the older debates, ideas,... on the forum. If you are interested, feel free to have a look.

The problem you're going to run into with this game (or any game where RP is concerned) is there are only so many emotes you can do. Beyond just moving your character around there is very little need to be face to face for RP. Hence the reason people use the role playing channel.

Ultimately whether you type *gazes at the heavens* in local chat or on role play, it's exactly the same effect. You typed it, people read it.

Having your character in the same visible area as someone else's character isn't possible most of the time since people that RP usually are doing something else while they participate (gather trophies, grind levels, harvest resources, etc.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

I'd agree with Aguarush on looking around for others who are like minded on Order, Sovereign. They likely do exist- or you may find them hiding over on Chaos. The idea of genuine immersion in their roleplay might encourage them to give Order another chance. It certainly can't hurt to try to look around and gather up some folks to give face-to-face RP a try.

I think this is more about lack of immersion than anything, Mensar- something I can sympathize with on disliking channel RP and poorly regulated ones at that on any game. For players who want total immersion: that's the worst thing ever. If that's the sort of RP they want, they can always just go find a chatroom or something where there's a better chance of steady replies over having to wait until such'n'such finishes a battle they're in or the like that has nothing to do with their RP. I can understand why some folks prefer the channel RP so they can grind away while they do it, but it just isn't everyone's cup of tea. And to those folks it really does make a difference to them where they might post their actions.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyrieath View Post
    I'd agree with Aguarush on looking around for others who are like minded on Order, Sovereign. They likely do exist- or you may find them hiding over on Chaos. The idea of genuine immersion in their roleplay might encourage them to give Order another chance. It certainly can't hurt to try to look around and gather up some folks to give face-to-face RP a try.

I think this is more about lack of immersion than anything, Mensar- something I can sympathize with on disliking channel RP and poorly regulated ones at that on any game. For players who want total immersion: that's the worst thing ever. If that's the sort of RP they want, they can always just go find a chatroom or something where there's a better chance of steady replies over having to wait until such'n'such finishes a battle they're in or the like that has nothing to do with their RP. I can understand why some folks prefer the channel RP so they can grind away while they do it, but it just isn't everyone's cup of tea. And to those folks it really does make a difference to them where they might post their actions.
    For those that really want face-to-face RP, I offer my Grand Hall lair for your use. It has two T2 halls, a T4 lair structure, a grand hall, two T2 lair structures and a T6 PB in it. Lots of room for face to face RP. It's located conveniently in Bristugo and is south of the portals. Help yourself to it anytime you'd like. It's not a maze, whatsoever. Straight from the entrance, down and into the grand hall.. at the bottom of the grand hall are the other halls. Very easy to navigate, very quiet and easy to get to.
    Mensarian state of mind: Being without one completely!

Though I am not involved in much shard RP, I do RP in our guild channel but only when I am on guild lands because of the assumption that it must take place in a common area we share.

I am however always IC if anyone addresses me where we meet. I've struck up some good RP in taverns over the years. In NT on the rare occasions I'm there. If you prefer IC face to face RP? So do I. Look forward to us crossing paths.

I agree with all who already replied here. I tend to RP mostly in the role play channels just simply because I like to play the game as well as role play. so most of the time I`m either running/flying around hunting/questing, or working on one of my plots/lairs. Sadly this means I`m unable to be in a face to face RP.
    But I do agree, role play channels do need to be more IC then OOC. and omg am I guilty at the OOC spam *shameful look* But if you`re interested, there are plenty of player made public RP channels you can join, and I`d be happy to RP with you.
    Looking forward to seeing you in game! *Reagle slurps in greeting*

*serves Sovereign a container full of klava presented with a towel and a curtsy*
    welcome home! :-)

Thread Information