Thread: Drain Bolt and Promote Spells

Default Drain Bolt and Promote Spells

Promote Vitality and Promote Intellect share a timer...and icon graphic. for convenience it would be nice if they werent on a shared recast timer. Messes with my buffing harmony :P

Drain Bolt acts funky after its been cast a bunch of times. targets HP stop registering the drop after each hit and doesnt catch up to the animations until the mob is dead most times.
    A dark shadow in the night skies...

Default Re: Drain Bolt and Promote Spells

I moved this to its own game bugs thread because it wasn't really a spell/effect conflict and more of a bug report.

Quote Originally Posted by R`aven Sky`Dash View Post
    Promote Vitality and Promote Intellect share a timer...and icon graphic. for convenience it would be nice if they werent on a shared recast timer. Messes with my buffing harmony :P
    At this time I prefer they be shared.

Drain Bolt acts funky after its been cast a bunch of times. targets HP stop registering the drop after each hit and doesnt catch up to the animations until the mob is dead most times.
    You sure this isn't lag? There's no code that would cause this specifically for one spell/ability. If it occurred, it would occur for all.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by R`aven Sky`Dash View Post

I can confirm the drain bolt effect where target's HP stop registering. No lag either. If I stop the drain bolt and start a normal bolt this never happens.

PS. IF the Promotes have to share the same timer at least please, please change the icon for promote intellect to one adequate for power/focus.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

I am reluctant to press this point because I've heard it before, but I have been trying to come up with reasons and I can't think of any, so if I may ask: what is the reasoning behind having both Promotes on a shared timer?
    Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    You sure this isn't lag? There's no code that would cause this specifically for one spell/ability. If it occurred, it would occur for all.
    In my experience, yeah, this bug can kick in off anything. It just seems to be a matter of animation backup: when animations don't have time to finish before new animations from new actions queue up, enemy health bars (and possibly the player's health bar, though I've checked that less) stop updating. I haven't tested how far behind animations have to get before this bug happens, but given that some dragon animations are VERY long-- Tail Whip can take as long as 2-3 other attacks, and the Breath animation is pretty lengthy-- this bug can easily happen at least 50% of fights.

Drain Bolt is a prime troublemaker in this regard because it's a very fast spell but it uses the standard slow-as-an-iceberg, three-part dragon spellcast animation. Now that I have Dragon Alacrity V these days, I'm actually surprised when I make it to the end of a combat without the animations backlogging so badly that this bug kicks in.

It doesn't fix the underlying bug, but I've had success clearing out the bug by stopping all actions during the combat and waiting for the animations to catch up a bit. This can vary between a Drain Bolt cast's worth of a pause and a more significant wait, depending, and not everyone can afford the downtime twiddling their thumbs since I am given to understand not everyone fights by being indestructible and boring their foes to death.

My observations have been the same as Thicklesip's: Drain Bolt--especially with Alacrity up--casts so fast that animations cannot keep up, and this causes health bars to stop updating. It is not a problem specific to Drain Bolt; I've seen it happen a lot during group fights, and sometimes Primal Health's animation gets stuck and freezes my own health bar.

As for the icon of Promote Intellect, that's always bothered me too. I have to read the tooltip to make sure I'm clicking the right one, and clicking the wrong one can mean waiting out the shared timer again in order to cast the right one. I could try my hand at creating an icon for it, if that would be helpful?

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Thread Information