Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happened to the lower community...

Default Re: What happened to the lower community...

Quote Originally Posted by AamerKhan View Post
    Howdy

I pop back in here from time to time. You don't know me but I was the one that setup NPA channel way back in the day on chaos.

Let me tell you first off I totally feel your pain. There is little hand holding in this game and it can be quite frustrating to have fun and have to grind all the crafts you need to keep yourself in gear.

The first problem is the small population. Cant really fix that one.

Attitudes are also an issue since vets have been here so long and just don't want to bother helping a new player that may or may not stick around. It sucks but is a real reason.

Of course, that very attitude contributes to new players not sticking around, feeling unwelcome and unwanted.

Then you also have the attitude problems that dragons seem to display. If you aint dragon you aint nothing. And its not roll play its more thinking they can fly and breath fire, so they are somehow superior to bipeds. ( of course they always ask bipeds to help them in the rop .. go figure )

Awhile back I tried to get a new players only guild together only to find there were not enough biped new players to make it work.

Bottom line here is really what has been said... Enjoy what you do, level yourself, and since it will take time to do it on your own, settle in for the long haul.

However, if I re-activate my high levels, I will always offer assistance and freely make anything you need.
    I've been playing off/on since december 03 and as many in game can attest restarted many times, an almost rediculous number of times actually. That being said I have never ever seen or even heard of people (dragons or bipeds) acting like that unless they were actively roleplaying. I'm sure it may have happened but the chances IMO are so rediculously low that it is a non-issue.

There are also a number, a lot actually, of vets that do help. And I've never seen a day where there wasn't several people in NT at some time willing to talk.

The issues with newcomers is not vets. It's the game itself. While it is way better than before. There is still loads of lag, memory leaks (after about an hour when greeting an npc I may get a response from them in 5 minutes) and a huge grind. Thats it. Hundreds and thousands of ore per level. I actually tend to watch a movie while crafting because it feels like my brain is starting to melt after the 50th disc - doing the same thing over and over and over and over and over and over... That is the very definition of grind.

The things that make the game fun to us (well actually the repetitive drives me nuts but I can take it) make it incredibly grindy to most.

The quests are a nice addition. The variety of crafting and skills is great, but they do come with a drawback.

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    I myself generally like to help the new players, especially if they seem like they actually want to stay beyond two weeks and are willing to form a friendship rather than feed off me for help. I don't generally judge a book my its cover, nor do I deny help just because I'm lazy - it's usually because I'm in the middle of something.

Also, I've almost never had a problem with dragons - there are a few who I'd like to give a tongue lashing to, yes, but mostly I find my pet-peeves with bipeds. Of course, I'm not trying to be racist (hehe) here, but I'm just saying that's generally who I have a problem with - rating 200-whatever (I can't remember the cap... 256?) veterans who like to boss "newer" players around.

I have a friend on Order who is actually petrified of posting something or asking for help in Marketplace because she feels that someone or someone in particular would give her a tongue lashing for not being 100/100/100 and able to care for everything herself. :/

Anyways, to any new players who read this - don't be afraid to poke any of the characters in my signature. I don't bite~
    I second this.

In the last few months EOI has been privileged to add many new players to our active guild.

Attitudes in NPA and even market place has been improving. Even those that are somewhat jaded are actually trying to help.

Everyone in the community is really great.

One thing I would like to see is all the dragons hanging out in New Trismus roll playing please move it over by the dragon area. It would help lag at the consigner and pawn broker.
    Aamer Khan : The Eyes of Istaria : First Herald of Istaria
    Helper to those in need, Guide to the newly gifted, Friend and neighbor to all.

Well granted i dont know much bout the dragon school quests an such, nor anything really about the changed RoP. As for ya friend they can always ask in market when im hanging around :P an since you insist *poke racktor many times just for fun*

I'm going to be a little hard here and say honestly what do you expect people to do?

Do you expect them to drop their 100+ rating character and create a new one just so they can play with you? Cause a lot of those people have played those characters for years and don't want to play any other. Its not fair to expect them to either. However, due to the limitations of the game, grouping with such a player means you will get next to no experience and it makes all content accessiable by the lower player to easy.

Also the comment about social chitchat in marketplace ect, well I'm very guilty of that... but the player base is so low now its one of the few places there is people to talk to. If we left it as just as marketplace chat well, chances are no one would talk for hours and hours at a time.

As to not getting help with items and spells, yes that can be a problem. I do try and help when its practical for me to. However, sometimes its just really really inconvient, patience is a must. Remember, anyone that helps you is taking time out of their day to do so. As a new player you simply can not reimburse them for the value of the lost time in terms of silver ect. So thank them, cause thats normally the only 'payment' they are looking for, a bit of appreciation of their effort.

As a game suggestion maybe the developers should could consider special emblems that artificially lower a players abilities and rating? While a player is wearing it they become level a lvl 10 or 30 or 80 ect player and can only use the ability and spells of their current class upto that level. Also while wearing it they get NO exp at all, the people with them would get exp as if they are group with a normal person of that level.

Quote Originally Posted by Celestril View Post
    As a game suggestion maybe the developers should could consider special emblems that artificially lower a players abilities and rating? While a player is wearing it they become level a lvl 10 or 30 or 80 ect player and can only use the ability and spells of their current class upto that level. Also while wearing it they get NO exp at all, the people with them would get exp as if they are group with a normal person of that level.
    This is a really cool idea!

I hear yah Oly, but do understand many high level players do sometimes want a break from helping the newer folks. I run into this a lot as my level 100/100 dragon, I wake him, and get hounded by hatchlings to help them make spells, scales/claws, or hunt a boss/help on RoP. I do help when I can, but I need a break as well. Many are often busy getting things done in game for themselves. e.g. working on a plot/lair, or aiding their guild. and sometimes they might be deep in a roleplay, and can`t break away from it to help
    So just because you can`t always get an answer to your question, or help with a quest or item, doesn`t mean you`re being ignored.
    I wouldn`t fret on it too much, there are many who are willing to drop what ever they`re doing to aid a fellow Istarian. I myself am one of them hehe sometimes I`m told I`m too nice. XD

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    Many are often busy getting things done in game for themselves.... and can`t break away from it to help
    So just because you can`t always get an answer to your question, or help with a quest or item, doesn`t mean you`re being ignored.
    I fall into that category often. Occasionally, someone will ask for help, either in a chat channel, or directly to me. If they don't get responses within a few minutes in the channel, or the query was directed at me, I try to respond them, even if I can't help, and say so. "Sorry, I'm kind of busy at the moment." or "Sorry, I don't know.". I don't think it's rude to do so. On the contrary, responding acknowledges their presence and can help make the other person feel more welcome, even if they don't get the help they want from you.

By far, most of the responses I got from turning down a request for help have been positive ("Thanks anyway"). Only one resulted in a response instructing me to engage in what could be described as an auto-erotic act. The others didn't respond or tried to coax me into helping them. That's not very polite.

TL;DR: Respond, even if you can't (or don't want to) help. If someone takes the time to respond to your request for help, politely acknowledge their response, even if it's not what you want.
    You can get anything you want in life -- just make a lot of noise and bite the right people.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelclaw View Post
    I fall into that category often. Occasionally, someone will ask for help, either in a chat channel, or directly to me. If they don't get responses within a few minutes in the channel, or the query was directed at me, I try to respond them, even if I can't help, and say so. "Sorry, I'm kind of busy at the moment." or "Sorry, I don't know.". I don't think it's rude to do so. On the contrary, responding acknowledges their presence and can help make the other person feel more welcome, even if they don't get the help they want from you.

By far, most of the responses I got from turning down a request for help have been positive ("Thanks anyway"). Only one resulted in a response instructing me to engage in what could be described as an auto-erotic act. The others didn't respond or tried to coax me into helping them. That's not very polite.

TL;DR: Respond, even if you can't (or don't want to) help. If someone takes the time to respond to your request for help, politely acknowledge their response, even if it's not what you want.
    I second that as well.

Q: What happened to the lower community?
    A: They leveled up. :B
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

That is a good point about them leveling up, however the real bottom line is WE do have a large influence on how long any new players stay.

In a game like this, that has been around for almost 10+ years, that has a small dev team that make changes slowly, and where most players are not only high level but have multiple high levels...

ANY new player is way out of everyone else's league.

WE as a high lvl community should be courteous and remember how it is.

EOI has been having very good success in helping new players ( yes they do exist ) Keeping them playing and learning the game and many of them have remained active.

Our success has been due to kind assistance, willingness to answer those same newbie questions we asked way back in the day, and by working hard to remove JUST the frustrations of playing as a new player.

If we all try to copy this, you may be surprised that we will develop and maintain a lower community.
    Aamer Khan : The Eyes of Istaria : First Herald of Istaria
    Helper to those in need, Guide to the newly gifted, Friend and neighbor to all.

Thread Information