Thread: Dragons: A theorem

Hybrid View

Default Re: Dragons: A theorem

Quote Originally Posted by Exrage View Post
    Utility implies usefulness, yes, but it also implies usefulness toward a multitude of functions (aka a utility knife containing multiple blades and tools). Utility and specialty are antonyms in the English language and for good reason, a specialty implies the use for one task- and usually it becomes weaker than a utility version in every other application it sacrifices for it's specialty.
    No, utility means usefulness. It does not simply imply usefulness. You're also wrong that Utility and Specialty are antonyms. They are not. There's actually a contradiction in logic in what you say. Utility and Specialty can't be antonyms if Utility can, by your words, imply usefulness that is apart from generalized usefulness.

I can provide a real-life example of utility, actually. Over the past couple weeks I've been writing a game engine for the purpose of hoping to use it in the Ludum Dare (create a game in 48 hours) contest, within this engine is a utility class:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/84091534/Optional_T.hpp
    This utility class has the specific purpose of acting as a way to return success or failure of a function along with data. It's extremely useful, but only in the specific area of being a function's return value, but regardless of it's speciality it's still a utility class. Not only that, but this utility class contains utility functions, which are useful functions that have an even more specialized use of dealing with the utility class. Note the lack of generalization in all this utility.

Again, Raptress was correct in her example and usage of utility.

Quote Originally Posted by XenoDrake View Post
    *opens thread, sees three page wall of text*

My theory....Dragons are Awesome!

~Xeno
    Can't argue with that. :3
    Avatar is of my character Akrion, snipped from Hrae's Hoard of Creatures by the excellent moss loving artist Nambroth. <3

Hmm... well I was going to continue the theorem and extrapolate further but I've been informed they want $10 a month to continue playing my dragon for a game that's been in development since 2004 and has only reached this level of quality. Sorry guys, very nice work and good concepts that utilized much of the lore and your personal opinions, shame I couldn't have RPed with you as you all seem to have a very strong grasp on what it takes to RP well.

To continue someone would have to browse through and summarize the theories as they apply to the game in a nice, easy to read format. As I was the original poster and it was my idea I highly doubt someone will take the time to do so unless they have a pretty strong concept on what the theorem is and would continue it's work.

Best of luck to you all, I'm glad you found a game that you enjoy enough to pay for despite the buggy coding, half-completed UI functionality, limited character animations, and slowly developed "small" changes to the game that bring it down for days at a time if the maintenance time on Tuesdays don't cripple it for more than the entire day. It's good, but if it's this stagnant other than to siphon money I can't see why any set of owners would charge money- let alone $10 a month- for something not anywhere near it's competitors at it's price range.

Quote Originally Posted by Exrage View Post
    I can't see why any set of owners would charge money- let alone $10 a month...
    Well, if they didn't charge money, the game wouldn't be running. Pretty simple really. xP

Sorry the game didn't pull you in enough to pay for it. Good luck wherever you move onto afterwards.

.:Malestryx:.

Aegis Shatterer - Scourge of the Scourge - Blight's Own Decay

Thread Information