Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Wiki Update Project

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default Re: The Wiki Update Project

Finished adding all the pages for the Volcano questline up to where you have to kill the queen. (Because obviously I can't really do that right off the bat)

For future reference also, I updated older templates to match the info-box like ones. There are now templates for a tool, spell, weapon, and item pages.

I started making a page for the Lunus ARoP, but may not be able to really finish it. It's hard to focus on that and the game at the same time, and enjoy the questline as well. (Really breaks your immersion, copying and pasting stuff..)

Is the current guide up to date, actually? The one on the "Ancient Rite of Passage" page.

Also, glad to see a steady stream of updates on the wiki activity. I need to get back to it more.
    Last edited by Racktor; February 23rd, 2013 at 03:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    All of us here know that the Istaria wiki is outdated and unreliable, and I often hear mumbles and grumbles from newer players who try to reference off of it. I once had a friend who got completely wrong components for his scales by referencing off the wiki.

So, I've decided that instead of just grumbling about the Wiki... why not actually try to update it? I spent quite a few hours today adding in recent information about the Satyr Island slate/silver resources and even had to add a page on Belcharath. Everything regarding those resources should be correct now. I'm also working on adding pages for the Volcano questline, but due to my inactivity in Istaria, I haven't gotten much farther than the second part so far.

Of course, I can't really update every single bit of information on the wiki unaided. Well, I could, but it'd take many months/years. So I'm asking you, the community of Istaria, to help! You don't really even need a wiki account to edit the pages. If the information is wrong, click edit and fix it! Missing a page? Add it in! Grammatical errors? Fix'em!

Or, at least, you could give others a pointer as to which pages are missing/outdated.

These are all the recent pages I've edited/created:

Formula: Algedian Silver Bar
    Formula: Elnathian Slate Rune
    Formula: Dahibian Slate Rune
    Formula: Corvian Slate Rune
    Formula: Algedian Slate Rune
    Formula: Elnathian Silver Bar
    Formula: Dahibian Silver Bar
    Formula: Corvian Silver Bar
    Formula:Algedian Silver Bar
    Corvian Slate Rune
    Corvian Silver Ore
    Corvian Slate Slab
    Corvian Silver Bar
    Corvian Resources
    Corvian Silver
    Corvian Slate
    Elnathian Slate Slab
    Elnathian Silver Ore
    Elnathian Slate Rune
    Elnathian Silver Bar
    Elnathian Slate
    Elnathian Resources
    Algedian Slate
    Algedian Resources
    Algedian Slate Rune
    Algedian Slate Slab
    Dahibian Silver Ore
    Dahibian Slate Slab
    Algedian Silver Ore
    Dahibian Slate Rune
    Dahibian Silver Bar
    Elnathian Silver
    Algedian Silver
    Breath of Fire: Create Bars of Elnathian Silver
    Breath of Lightning: Create Bars of Dahibian Silver
    Algedian Silver Bar
    Breath of Ice: Create Bars of Algedian Silver
    Bacharath

...Yeah. It's a lot. Which is why I'm asking for help. ;P

Also, I know I'm not the only one updating! I saw someone added the entire new Lunus RoP and added its own category not too long ago. Props to them!

Who here agrees that the wiki should be reliable once more?
    Thought I'd bump this thread, to remind folks to keep the Wiki updated

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

as someone who uses the wiki page on a frequent basis to help get the word out about our beloved game, I very much appreciate all the work that went into, and continues to go into, this valuable service!
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

I must ask who changed the Beetle page and why? I had spent many hours restructuring that page to make it newbie friendly and informative as well as pointing to the main articles for more informatoin, and came to see my data was reverted into a chart with health and levels.
    I'm tempted to revert it but I'm not sure if it's within my power or if that is what the community wants?
    Old: http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Beetle...01&oldid=28824
    New: http://istaria.wikia.com/wiki/Beetle
    (If I get 5 votes for the old I'll revert it, as that's the community's choice.)
    Last edited by Racktor; August 27th, 2013 at 11:12 PM.

I must ask who changed the Beetle page and why?
    I liked the old page better. I don't care about health or armour values. I care what it looks like and coordinates where I can find it, so I know what i'm looking for and where it is.

You see an Ice Wall Corner, I see a Tardis.
    "

"Pen Pineapple Apple Pen"

I prefer the old page.

*nods* alright, 2 for revert

Oh, also, the beetle pages themselves were moved around a little. If you want to see the differences, click here, but I don't know if I'm going to bother with reverting, considering the person who edited it is an admin. Same for this page, actually, but I'm still going to go by the community's choice.

Edit: How do you even apply for admin anyway, out of curiousity? Said person said they applied for admin.

Urg... what did they do to your work... ok there's coords (by clicking on the beetle you want) but the new one is just ugly..please revert

I prefer the old page also

I vote for the new, 36 beetles listed and easy to find the one you want. The name links to a pic and more info. When i am looking on wiki for something, that's what I want.
    Dacurly Dac : Phoenix Fellowship Guild : Chaos Server
    http://phoenixfellowship.clanz.co/

I was using the Wikia when I first started. I too appreciate all the hard work that has gone into this, but my virus protection goes nuts every time I go there…

Keep the new one as it gives much more information, paste some pictures to the right of the table and all are happy ,)
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

I had originally organised it so the main beetles page just showed the location and when you clicked the name, you got a bunch of additional info about that specific mob.

I'm considering merging the two pages, in a way. Put my list in underneath their chart so quick info is still there, but there's also the expanded list.

Kida

Quote Originally Posted by Arzel Rashemi View Post
    I liked the old page better. I don't care about health or armour values. I care what it looks like and coordinates where I can find it, so I know what i'm looking for and where it is.
    That information is still available when you click on the name of the Beetle. I made it so that you don't have to go scrolling through a long list of beetles and images to get the information you need. Need to kill a beetle for a quest? Type its name into the search bar and you'll go straight to the page for the creature, where you can then find the location, the abilities it uses, and what loot it drops (for those that need to go tech hunting).

Quote Originally Posted by Calyndrell View Post
    Urg... what did they do to your work... ok there's coords (by clicking on the beetle you want) but the new one is just ugly..please revert
    I put a lot of work into the new page too, y'know. Going through and making over a dozen new creature pages to later fill them with the necessary data is honestly very time-consuming. You may want to watch your rude comments. I don't see how stream-lined and simple is "ugly".

Quote Originally Posted by Kritterly View Post
    I was using the Wikia when I first started. I too appreciate all the hard work that has gone into this, but my virus protection goes nuts every time I go there…
    There's nothing unsafe about the site, aside from the ads that could be displayed. I would suggest an adblocker if your virus protection is disagreeing with sites like that.

I had originally organised it so the main beetles page just showed the location and when you clicked the name, you got a bunch of additional info about that specific mob.

I'm considering merging the two pages, in a way. Put my list in underneath their chart so quick info is still there, but there's also the expanded list.
    The way you described it is extremely similar to how the page works now; you click on the name of a beetle, and you find its location and information.

The reason why I changed your list was because it made the page extremely long and image-heavy. Most of the main creature type pages were like this. With the way it is now, it's streamlined and simple, and it makes it easier to access the information on individual creatures one needs. Sorry you did not like the change, but I was trying to make the wiki more organized and cleaner as a whole.

Edit: I suppose I should also say this here on the thread, since it's relevant: Hello everyone. I'm Kida, the new admin of the Istaria Wiki. I've been editing other wikis for the past few months, and since I recently got back into Istaria, I decided to help fix this one as well. The other admins have not visited the site in over a year, so I applied to adopt the Wiki through Wikia's main site. Wikia admins approved my request after I got the approval of the few active editors (thanks again for keeping it going, Terao and Cegaiel) and revamped it to make it more appealing as well as make it easier to use.

I'm a major organizational freak, so I've been doing my best to sort and restructure some of the thousands of pages on the Wiki, to make it better as a whole. I have tried to get input from contributors through the use of Talk pages and Blog posts, but as I mentioned before, there are very few contributors still actively editing. There were only 3-4 when I came back to the Wiki in early August, two of them being Anonymous.

For everyone, I hope the changes I make are not too upsetting, and I hope the reasoning behind them (simplifying and organizing) can be understood. Being an administrator for a decent-sized community is a fairly new experience for me.

Also, if anyone reading this would like to help contribute to the site, I do encourage it! Making an account on Wikia is very useful, as it allows you to make a custom userpage, track your edits under your username, and you can even earn achievements on the Wiki (if I decide to enable them later, hehe).
    Last edited by Kida; August 29th, 2013 at 05:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kida View Post
    I put a lot of work into the new page too, y'know. Going through and making over a dozen new creature pages to later fill them with the necessary data is honestly very time-consuming. You may want to watch your rude comments. I don't see how stream-lined and simple is "ugly".
    I am sorry if my comment hurt your feelings but tables ARE ugly (and we were asked our opinions). I can appreciate that clearly along of work went into the changes but the information visible on the table isn't what most people want to know as arzel said "where is it and what does it look like". I for one have never looked up a mobs stats before I have tried to kill it.

Kida

Quote Originally Posted by Calyndrell View Post
    I am sorry if my comment hurt your feelings but tables ARE ugly (and we were asked our opinions). I can appreciate that clearly along of work went into the changes but the information visible on the table isn't what most people want to know as arzel said "where is it and what does it look like". I for one have never looked up a mobs stats before I have tried to kill it.
    The stats are not there for you to know them, they are simply there so that the list can be sorted by level. So anyone looking for a certain tier or difficulty of beetle to hunt can easily change the table from sorting by name to sorting by level range. You can then click on the name of the beetle to see the picture and where it is. The Beetle page is there to serve as a directory of sorts to see what all the beetles are; anyone actively searching for a single beetle would/should search for it in the search bar (which can now direct people straight to the page for that particular creature, rather than them having to find it in a long list of other beetles).

And again, your opinion when it comes to how it looks doesn't really affect this case, as the list is stream-lined, simple, organized, and not image-intensive. It will also automatically update the level and health ranges if they are changed, as well as add new beetles automatically if their pages are made on the Wiki.

Edit: Also, as a sidenote, I WOULD add Location as a sortable value for the creature tables in question, but it would mean that 1) I would have to go and edit every single creature page made so far to add said location and 2) there would be complications when it comes to creatures that spawn in more than one location: Which would I put? What if I put one location and inconvenience a player by leading them to believe they only spawn in that one area, rather than another which could be located closer to their plot/lair or be more convenient for them overall? This is why I chose to keep location as a section on individual creature pages, rather than a value that could potentially cause more problems than not.
    Last edited by Kida; August 29th, 2013 at 07:12 AM. Reason: Adding more info.

Edit: Also, as a sidenote, I WOULD add Location as a sortable value for the creature tables in question, but it would mean that 1) I would have to go and edit every single creature page made so far to add said location
    I was under the impression the wiki was a community project. I guess not. The locations, or rather locations of the main or most well known spawn are more important than stats for a player.

Racktor i really LOVE your idea of combining both pages to make everyone happy and still keep the thing user friendly for newbies and people with slow computers and laptops rather than having to go to page after page after page.

"

Kida

Quote Originally Posted by Arzel Rashemi View Post
    I was under the impression the wiki was a community project. I guess not. The locations, or rather locations of the main or most well known spawn are more important than stats for a player.

Racktor i really LOVE your idea of combining both pages to make everyone happy and still keep the thing user friendly for newbies and people with slow computers and laptops rather than having to go to page after page after page.
    Uh... please continue to read my second point, as that one is the main reason why I don't want to put locations on the directory page. The first is assuming other users would go through all the trouble to do that, which (as Wiki Activity shows) is highly unlikely since hardly anyone edits in the first place... And again, the stats such as levels are there so that viewers of the page can order the Beetles by either alphabetical order OR by level/tier, giving them the choice for their own convenience.

Also, putting a huge list with dozens of images is definitely not user-friendly, ESPECIALLY towards people with slow computers. And "page after page after page"? Is it REALLY so difficult to go to Creatures > Beetles > Specific Beetle Name? Really? It's one extra click, for pity's sake. Or, better yet, use the search function that the wiki provides, because that's there too. Newbies will more than likely know how to use the search bar.

Amazing how I do hundreds of edits to make the site easier to browse and search for specific terms, and people complain about a single page where the content wasn't even deleted; just moved and simplified. Oi vey.
    Last edited by Kida; August 29th, 2013 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kida View Post
    Also, putting a huge list with dozens of images is definitely not user-friendly, ESPECIALLY towards people with slow computers. And "page after page after page"? Is it REALLY so difficult to go to Creatures > Beetles > Specific Beetle Name? Really? It's one extra click, for pity's sake. Or, better yet, use the search function that the wiki provides, because that's there too. Newbies will more than likely know how to use the search bar.

Amazing how I do hundreds of edits to make the site easier to browse and search for specific terms, and people complain about a single page where the content wasn't even deleted; just moved and simplified. Oi vey.
    Isn't it odd then, that people like me with slow computers and laptops, didn't start having lag issues and connection issues until you revamped everything to a point it was so new and improved it wasn't worth a darn. And I'm not just talking about the beetle page, but just merely getting to the main page itself. Yes, i agree, you do hundreds of edits of information that people in this community have spent their hard time in the last few months working on! There IS stuff that does need updating, but there is other stuff that is quite valid and already been worked on by the community. That work and time and effort should have been respected not trod all over without courtesy to those who put their time and effort in. The wiki was supposed to be a community project, not a one man job. But since that is how the new admin is treating it, I can see now it'll be a waste to even try and edit it or work on it.

"

Thread Information