Thread: Plotting an Idea

Default Plotting an Idea

I'm not sure how viable this is, but had a thought as I was driving home from the resturant this morning...

Istaria is a large place, and from time to time I've heard people talk about various plot ideas and all the empty spaces. I also know the coins that pay the bills can be difficult to come by as well. I myself have voiced the ideas (recently and years ago) of creating a 'Destination' and the idea of 'Homesteading' - a place literally in the middle of nowhere but worthy of making the trek to.

So here's the idea, again not sure in the viability...investor level plots that are not inside towns, cities or guild enclaves. Not sure what the limits are, but thinking of plots in the 100x100 to 200x200 range (based on investment, return is the plot itself, nothing else). These plots would be bound to the account, non-transferable outside of the account, not part of the plot/subscription allowance, and not reclaimable until after 1-year of no active subscriptions.

These are 'wilderness' plots so gating to them is not possible, but...could see a bindable shrine (restricted somehow, maybe?) to only the owner but allows attached disks (of course one still has to build the shrine which is limited to these special plots) and a buildable small one-destination gate (Bristugo? also restricted to these special plots). [Special structures should probably be T3/4 - neither beginner nor master level, but certainly labor intensive). The only resources that should be nearby is a well and sandpile - otherwise proximity to resources is not a requirement and shouldn't be in a place where use of the plot isn't hindered by nearby mobs - does not preclude the chance of mobs harassing passage towards plot but doesn't cause one to get squished when they are reclining on a hammock, joking with friends in the tavern, soaking their feet in a pond or reading a book in a gazebo. (This should be available for Dragons too which might make this more difficult, not sure)

The intent here is multiple: 1) A way to put extra cash into the developers' hands; 2) A more direct way (besides subs) for players to help the game as well as a way to show their investment; and 3) A way for dedicated craftsman, explorers and players to not only demonstrate their abilities, but to showcase their dedication and create a 'Destination' - a place for gathering, relaxing, and jumping-off point to more distant destinations.

I will agree this isn't probably well thought out, as I said, it came to me while driving home this morning. Granted, I have been gone for a few years, but this game has always had a hook in my head and heart and as has been said a community like no other game out there. I would be more than willing to lay out say, $500 for a personal plot in the boonies (heck, I live in the mountains of Alaska with closest grocery store 40m away and 1 resturant 12mi away with any chain store 40mi away). While I think $250 is low (1-yr mtm sub is $179.40), could see 'investment' levels are $250, $500, and maybe even higher.

Don't know the intracacies of the game code, but think most everything is already in place except for the proposed new shrines and single-destination (developers choice, but all the same) gate. The only difficulty I see is the split servers (shards) - the plot would have to exist on all shards (then again, placement of these plots could/should be up to the developers in which case it is relatively easy and when a player decides to invest he/she must choose which shard.

Now I can see where some might call this a game breaker - able to use RL money for an advantage. I don't really see it - as far as playing the game itself, owning a plot doesn't confer any real advantage except extra storage space and is something anyone can do now, and it doesn't help you when battling the blight or other monsters. And having a plot outside the normal areas (towns, cities, etc) might be an advantage in some cases (if the location is convienent for a particular fight), it also has it's downsides as well.

Anyways, just a thought that occurred to me this morning and something I'd be willing to invest in the game for (probably get me to add a few more subs again too).

Aaelefein

ps - I certainly seek feedback, expansion, etcetera, but Dev's - if this is something not feasible or desired please go ahead and delete and or lock the thread.
    Last edited by Aaelefein; March 14th, 2013 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Added comments on reclaim
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Default Re: Plotting an Idea

so many ideas,

some of them I like, Aaelefein.
    Other things I simply did not understand -have to reread it.
    But what I do understand is, it could be a compromise: Rl money for ingame things- the Istarian way.

Will read and think it over again- thy for sharing your ideas
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

I fail to see any reasonable point to what you're suggesting. Istaria really doesn't have the land to donate to such a project, without removing even more resources, or hunting areas. a plot is a plot, whether your style, or the one they have in place already. if I was willing to "donate" to the game for a special plot, then I would also want the things "I" wanted built.. especially for any major amount of cash donated. not a preset setup of specific T3/T4 type setup. since that would be useless to any real crafter anyway. also your time limit on reclaim is way out of bounds, timing it for a year, before it can be reclaimed? that's just wasting more space. sorry. but I disagree with most of what you've written. but that's just my opinion

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

I'd be open to more larger solo plots in the world (max of 100x100) aslong as they didn't have a personal gate or pad.
    Basically hermit homes.
    Their's lots of places that could have a Hermit home placed without removing resource area or making the game un-balanced (ie putting the home next to a T6 resource)
    Personally i'd love to have a larger plot out of the way so I could open my silo's without having to wait 5 mins for them to load up.
    Not to mention the lag that comes with densely owned areas....Morninglight for example. Land at that pad and its a 50/50 wether you load up or crash due to the huge info being suddenly shoved down the clients throat.
    I know we'll never get L shaped plots and such but random plots in odd areas of Istaria would be nice, after-all not everyone in a world would want to live in a city.....

Sounds like a great idea. only problem I see is most folks, least in todays economy can`t afford to fork out $250 to $500 in one crack. Sadly many have actualy been forced to cancel subs they already have to pay debt. (including myself if overtime doesn`t pick up at work soon )
    But I would love to own a larger plot say 100x100 out away from big city areas. way less lag, and less likely of having resources stolen under my nose from silos. (if I want to have my friends, and alts be able to access it`s storage) XD
    Also, 1 year before reclaimation? that sounds a bit out there. I`d see if the money paid was for a 1 year sub, then if your sub expires, after one month not renewing. reclaim it. stick to that. Otherwize it`s just wasted space. usualy once someone`s sub expires, the plot is no longer usable anyways (becomes condemned)
    I`d say, if this were implimented, tweek it a bit perhaps. but all in all, it is a good idea.

Default Plotting an Idea - Clarifications

[INDENT]Hello all...

Just offering some replies and clarification pertaining to some comments...

1) You can build what you want. These are 'bare' plots with exception of a nearby water well and sandpile Even in the old days, a source of water was always of concern whether via river, lake, rainwater or well, even melted snow/ice. While I love the idea of a player-built well, I don't see that happening anytime soon though it does make sense.

2) T3/4 idea - This is the suggested 'Special' structures only and only 2 of which I indicated (See #3) and only available on the "Investor" plots. Considering their specialized function and making it easy to develop, there is no need for Beginner, Expert or Master versions. These are out of the way plots so no road access, but at the same time don't want to make them backbreaking or only feasible for multi-alt/account Master Crafter players either. One doesn't have to be a Master Crafter or Uber Adventurer to want to help the game along.

3) 'Personal' Pad/gate - yes and no. NO Pad, but on this note I could see eliminating the special shrine which I fear could be problematic to impliment. Assuming the shrines still exist in the remodeled guild houses that would be sufficient. Yes to the Gate, but ALL go to the same SINGLE destination - my choice would be Bristugo and would be open to all - one did after all make the trek out here and who knows what they might have had to go thru to do it.

4) Why 1-Year on reclaim? As intended (but also see #5) these are "Investor" plots and not typically something a casual or new player is going to want. If one is going to layout a significant sum up front - there should be some assurance its going to be there should something come up that precludes them from losing their 'investment'. I could see modifying it to reclaimable 1-year after investment AND after dropping a paid subscription. Obviously if the Dev's were to place standard, buyable plots in these locations as indicated in #5, the 1-year 'window' wouldn't exist.

5) Darkwing and Sindala had some good points too - Hermit style players, reduced lag, less chance of stolen materials (permissions still need work) etcetera. There are lots of places where there are no mobs or resources - so nothing has to be lost. My only concern with making these out-of-the way plots is the numerous plots now that have languished for months if not years with no action - I would hate to see someone acquire these out-of-the-way plots, start and then do nothing with them and whether they abandom them or stop playing but maintain an active sub - the plot is locked from those who would utilize the plot. In this regard I would love to see some form of means-test, level/rating restriction, or activity amount to prevent this - maybe something involving emblems?

6) RL $$ issue. Is this a unbalancing issue? I don't see it and here's why...anyone who has a sub with plot buying permission can already buy a plot. These plots can be gated to, are often in areas where other resources, buildings, etcetera are available, many of which are purposely placed near some available resources. While it is inevitable that some of the special plots might be near resource(s) - there are no close by structures (except maybe a non-buffing world shop) to process or store these resources. Getting those initial structures (vault, shop, storage) will be much more difficult, certainly not an advantage.

7) Assuming they are still special 'Investor' plots and not placed in-game as annotated in #5 - I'm not sure why I first figured they should be non-transferrable or bound to a single account/sub - this I would eliminate. But I still believe they should not be included in the plot/subcription limit - though possibly problematic if transferred to another player-account

While I still believe this is a feasible idea to generate additional revenue; I cannot disagree with Darkwing_Duck or Sindala in that placing these solo, out-of-the-way plots would be a nice addition to the game. As state above though, my only concern here is those who acquire the plot and do nothing with it - more or less getting it and locking it away from others who do want to develop it.

I also think the discussion has come up with a few suggestions for the dev's. Besides the plots themselves, what about the idea of a buildable and useable water-well...maybe buy a 'Water Rights' Permit' as part of the building needs as one now needs a hiring permit for vaultkeeper, pawnbroker, and consigner? A stand-alone shrine thus eliminating the need for a guild-house?

Thank you to those who took the time to read and comment upon the suggestion.

Aaelefein

Another suggestion though more of a question - could permissions be set based on the 'Friends' list - maybe a special group "Plot Access" etectera?
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist

Default Re: Plotting an Idea - Clarifications

Quote Originally Posted by Aaelefein View Post
    Another suggestion though more of a question - could permissions be set based on the 'Friends' list - maybe a special group "Plot Access" etectera?
    one type of permission you can set your plot too is 'friends only' where you choose who gets perisimmion to do stuff..however, if you place your 'primary' plot permission to allow all (as you have to if you want anyone but yourself to be able to do anything) you cannot change individual structrues to friends only (as friends only is only avaiable as a primary plot permission)...personally i would love to change this, so i can have allow all as primary, but only friends acess some structures, while others can be completely public and such.

while I do like the idea, I agree with Darkwing, that 200+ is just WAY too dang much (and don't think I'm some poor kid that has only been playing for a few months, I've been paying straight for roughly four years), what I'd prefer would be it being something for the loyalty project thing, you know, the thing that was supposed to give you tokens for exclusive stuff if you kept paying subs for a long time?

also, talking about 100x100 plots (and bigger) anyone remember the "castle plots"? I'd definately enjoy seeing those again (and I mean the castle structures you could build on those) I know there still are some plots that still have the "castle" dimensions (I think it was around 150x150 if I'm not mistaken)

Quote Originally Posted by Aaelefein View Post
    [INDENT]... My only concern with making these out-of-the way plots is the numerous plots now that have languished for months if not years with no action - I would hate to see someone acquire these out-of-the-way plots, start and then do nothing with them and whether they abandon them or stop playing but maintain an active sub - the plot is locked from those who would utilize the plot...
    As far as the above point. If someone pays for it, it really is theirs to do with as they would. The reclaim thing I didn't get at first, I would say if anything like this moves forward, that a 2 year plot-sub must be included in the up-front investment. Perhaps this expiration date could be somehow notated in the plot info window.

After reading your first suggestion I was wondering, why do we need more plots when there are soo many empty ones. We need some bigger ones, and perhaps a few remote destinations as well.

Perhaps a better suggestion is to ask for even more plot-work by devs, where the multiple smaller plots are redesigned and/or combined in areas that stay empty, into larger plots that are 75x75 up to 150x150. (whatever size the castle plot out of south march is seems like a decent maximum, maybe a bit bigger).

Heart, North Selen, Falathien, Dikaina, Greyling, Dryart, Tishlar, Desert's Edge, the ones east of Mahagra.. there's many places that are often empty, and maybe if even it was just 1 single large plot, or maybe 2, it would be more appealing to many players. Many guild subplots could be combined/enlarged as well.

A few plots just out in the boonies might be neat too. Not sure any complex subscription stuff or costs are really needed though.

** Although... **

A few of the old original birth islands (Ritual Circle, Ryson Stormbringer islands that had the great halls with all the trainers. I am NOT referring to New Vassarack, etc) could be re-made into 1, maybe 2 plot super-resorts. This would be very cool and could likely be done without tons of additional work. Get rid of the blight, flatten one side out for the plot, near the beach, put in a bunch of trees and decorations in the remainder of the island. Of course these would need landing pads and outgoing teleporters. The outgoing tele's are already there, just might need a few changes to the destinations. iirc there are 8 of these islands out there, one was re-made into spirit isle, one was remade into skalkaar. So there's room.

As far as for dragons, one or two of those old original starter islands could also have 1, maybe 2 gigantic lairs added, with a nicely decorated island up top.

Instead of having a large cash price, have a large in-game currency price. This would keep them from being bought by someone new who might be less-likely to follow thru on the development and construction. If dev's are concerned about plot subs going down, maybe require 2 plot subs for the very large, or have it be some seperate plot service sub or something (resort plot sub), which would allow the purchase of the resort plots.

The only other thing I would add, if something new like this was put in, would be to change the color of the ground under the plot to simply match the surrounding terrain, so that like the beach resort plot would have the sand color (not the ugly brown), or some plot out in the boonies might have a green grass color even though it's a plot.

P.S. Set a limit on these (biped) plots so that only a few, or even NO silos could be built. Someone making one into a silo farm would be a shame.

New idea!: Inverted silos! make a new structure that functions just like a silo, is buildable on biped plots, same footprint in size, but burrows down in the ground for storage. Perhaps make it take some lairshaper materials, or even all lairshaping. Short silo farms! Existing silo farms are so darn ugly. This new inverted silo would not have a limit on the resort plots. But the regular silos should be limited, or just dissallowed completely.
    Last edited by Guaran; March 18th, 2013 at 06:24 PM. Reason: New cool idea I had.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    New idea!: Inverted silos! make a new structure that functions just like a silo, is buildable on biped plots, same footprint in size, but burrows down in the ground for storage. Perhaps make it take some lairshaper materials, or even all lairshaping. Short silo farms! Existing silo farms are so darn ugly. This new inverted silo would not have a limit on the resort plots. But the regular silos should be limited, or just dissallowed completely.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this was sugested a long time ago - and definately something worthy of looking into again. Maybe I'm not into as gung-ho (5 accounts running on 5 PCs) as I used to be - but CRAFTING and PLOT BUILDING are the things I missed most about this game and amon the primary reasons I returned (the community being a close second).

These would not even have to be subteranian structures either. I'm sure most of the artwork is already done, just a matter of mixing and matching. Think 'Modular' - silos that have a foot print (height/area) simiar to the T1/2 silo but is square and when placed together gives the appearance of some eccentric structure (lol - theme by Picasso) and soesn't look like a silo farm any more.
    Last edited by Aaelefein; March 19th, 2013 at 01:58 AM. Reason: defining gung-ho
    Spirit Brothers

Thread Information