Thread: New Player here

Seth Mendinhal

Default New Player here

Hello Horizons Community,

Hello everyone I am currently downloading the game of Horizons, I have my account setup and ready to go, I've read about the types of characters you can play. Is there a certain race thats more noob-friendly then others? I was leaning towards the dragon because that race has never been allowed to play before so I am very interested. Any input would be greatly apperciated.

Also I was curious how the leveling curve is? Is the leveling curve fast? Slow? Average? is there more things to do besides hunt and crafting? or is that all there is to do in the game at this point? if so that's fine beeing able to hunt when I am tired of crafting and craft when I am tired of hunting sounds good to me. Do you need to hunt to craft? Or can you craft without having to go into combat?

I am looking for a game that I can grow into and meet new players and make friends. I hope this could be that game! Thanks again for any info you give me! See you in game!

Seth

Default Re: New Player here

Welcome!

Bipeds are pretty interchangeable right now, although the devs are making noises about adding in special racial abilities. Any race can play any class and things like armor magically fit whoever they go on.

Dragons, on the other hand, are hard work. They are fun, and eventually can fly, but I'm not sure I'd call them "noob friendly." They have intricate lore and quests to figure out, they start out a bit weaker than the bipeds, and they can't multiclass like bipeds. They are only crafters and adventurers.

Back when I started I created a Human Warrior/Blacksmith just to try things out. She got so fun and is so solidly my main that I seldom ever log on an alt. But you can make up to 5 characters, plus one on the test server (Blight). So you are not trapped in your first choice, and can delete those that don't work out. Just pick a race you like the looks of. The lore of the races is not well developed, though RP styles have developed by convention amongst the players.

Leveling can go very fast once you know what you are doing. Many people have reached 100 in multiple classes, both crafters and adventurers. I haven't, because I spend a lot of time role-playing, or doing construction work for no xp.

You can craft without being an adventurer at all, but will have trouble gathering many resources you will need unless you have tough friends and are a bit lucky. Adding special abilities to crafted items (stat or skill bonuses) requires using components that are gotten from monsters. If you can't hunt them yourself, it may get expensive. Though many crafters do ask the buyer to provide those special ingredients.

This game has a great community, on either shard (though if you want to do a lot of in character stuff, come on over to Order *grin* ). I've met many wonderful folks, they've kept me hooked for 11 months now. HZ is all about the people in it, for me. Might be one or two annoyances, but griefing has been so low as to be highly remarkable when it occurs. Really a good bunch, I hope you'll like it here.

-Levity Merrel, Crai Aisling, Sans AoP in Aiya by the Pad
    88 Blacksmith/63 Fitter/45 Mason/70 Reaver

Seth Mendinhal

Hello Levity,

Thanks for your response and your time to give me info about the game, so far from what you've told me the game sounds fun, just what I am looking for, since 5 characters are allowed I guess I'll experiment until i find the right one for me, I had a feeling dragons would be more work but hey I like the challenge. Thanks again for your help and hope to see you in-game sometime!

Seth

Sarogin

Welcome Seth! [<:o)]

Drat, forgot my postscript -- happens I *won't* be in game until Monday, Sunday evening (eastern) at the earliest, as I will be at a LARP all weekend. Normally I am in game more than not. So look for me next week for any questions you have while in game.

-Levity

Hi Seth, and welcome to Istaria

Dragons do take a lot of work, but I still had the most fun with them.
    Only problem with them imo, is that at 100 in craft and adventure schools you are crippled compared to bipeds.
    But I hope that we'll get more crafting quests, and that the Anicent RoP will helpwith adventuring.

If you create a char in Order, feel free to contact me.

Enjoy your stay!

also you should know about the shards seth if your going into the u.s. severs there are
    chaos (the best one) which is your standered sever for play
    order which is your role play shard
    and blight the test shard were the game devs place patches frist onto that shard and some time ask the players to get involed in an event to help them test a game feature

ps chaos is the best shard ;)

and dragons may be hard to play but they are the mos rewarding race to play they are the race were you have to earn your power and wealth

Thread Information