Thread: How does a crafter make money these days?

Default How does a crafter make money these days?

Looking to the future, I'm looking up recipes on istariareference and if I added it up right, I will need a bare minimum of 60 silver to get Blacksmith to 100.

That's bare minimum, and that's assuming I can find enough unguarded cobalt near a biped anvil (which I don't remember ever existing before). So it will likely take a bit more than that, probably in the range of 100-120 silver (due to having to switch to Stone for T4).

Right now I only have about 23 silver and for the life of me I can't really see much of any good ways to make money that don't involve adventuring.

The money I have on me right now, I obtained through the slew of one-time Blacksmith quests that you are only able to do once and then that's it.

I've seen that dragging a diskful of cut gems to the pawnbroker gives about 4 silver, but that takes nearly two hours to do due to how far away the gems are from the gemcutter and the walk from the gemcutter to the pawnbroker in NT.

Something similar can be done with bronze bars, however, you can only make about 4-5 silver until the prices fall to where it isn't worth doing anymore.

Selling any type of tools or weapons doesn't work very well either, because even if you stick them all on the PB simultaneously, the price still falls on each one (going from 24c down to as low as 8-10).

Is there something I'm missing, or is it "adventure or go without"? The problem with adventuring is that I will need spells, weapons, and armor (which I will need to make myself, but in order to do that, I need to level these crafts, but yet I need the forms to do so, and I need money for the forms), and of course higher stats from leveled crafts would be a godsend too.

Default Re: How does a crafter make money these days?

try to do the gem quest in bristugo over and over and over again?
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

What about selling the highest tier resource you can make at a pawnbrokers that's what I used to do. Preferably use a tier VI.

Although the easy way to make money as a lowbie crafter is to have a friend donating/lending you 1-2 Golds. Not like there is much to do with them golds past a certain level. I for example have quite an amount that finds no use whatsoever. Unfortunately I'm on Order.
    Northwind * Ancient, Crafter, Lairshaper * 100/100/100
    Northpole * Spoiled biped * 100 BTLM, 100 CLRC, 100 RVR, 100 RNGR, 100 MAGE, 100 WIZ, 100 SORC, 100 CONJ, 100 SPRT, 100 DRU, 100 HLR, 100 GRDN, 100 MON, 60 WAR, 44 BRSK/SPRM, 40 CHSW * 100 BLK, 100 OUT, 100 JWL, 100 ARM, 100 WPN, 100 FLE, 100 FIT, 100 MSN, 100 SCH, 87 SPL, 85 GTH, 85 MIN

If you have the right skills doing crystal vials is a great way to make money.

You need the following skills:

Essence harvesting
    Essence shaping
    Earthencraft

You need the following tools:

Mining pick
    Essence siphon
    Essence shaper
    Glass blowing rod

At tier 1 this can be a bit difficult. As someone on your shard for directions to the resources. Look me up if your on Chaos.

Well look up my main Sethvir

Make bricks, bars, orbs, list them for sale as well as advertise in Marketplace chat.

"Putting 1500 dim orbs on Bristugo consignor, 20c each" etc. Dragons will be interested in these since all lair corridors are t1, so a large amount of t1 resources is needed for every lair out there. You may even have luck selling dim essence, sandstone slabs, and uncut gems, as certain lair materials are made from them. If you can get 20c for 1500 dim orbs, that's 30s right there. Of course 1500 is how many the t5 disk holds, but chances are you can still put up stacks in the few hundreds, and it will sell. All of this can be done using the training gear you get from joining gatherer school, and using the refurbished cargo disk you can get from a quest (in Kion I believe).

Adventuring is also a good way to find the vendor loot which Rhahool in bristugo buys. This pays really well. You you start adventuring you do not need everything teched, just buy the refurbished gear to get started. There are refurb gear vendors in new trismus, sslanis, and likely in kion too. There are also t1 spell vendors in the same cities. And you can likely get to level 10 without even buying anything, just using the training gear. Keep in mind that up to level 9, deaths do not accumulate deathpoints. That starts at level 10.

Each full line of quests from the core adventurer trainers on NT will net you 10 silver. Not counting the level 10+ quests on NT such as Valor & Vigilance or Red Tusks or Withered Bane. Once you move to LA you can earn a lot more through the quests in Kion and then the militia quests from Sslanis. Junk loot from monsters can be sold to pawnbrokers if you don't want to trek to Rhadool (or can't).
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

From looking at the suggestions here in the thread:

I suppose pawning t1s is the best way to go, other than doing the Outfitter quests. I don't have access to anything beyond T1 yet, and as I said earlier, was trying to avoid adventuring for now.

We'll see how it goes, I suppose. I'm thinking I should get at least a few silver from the Outfitter, and then do some gems or something.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Dhalin,
    I can't believe nobody has mentioned building plots. For a crafter the best way to make a little dough is ask around in Construction channel or Market Place for any build jobs. The pay is typically 1s and 1.5 s for T1 and 2s and 2.5s for T2 ect.. all the way to T5, plus you get xp to level your crafts. Build classes are: Carpenter, Enchanter, Mason, Fitter and Weaver.

You will get way more silver from construction than doing quests.
    -Kor

Quote Originally Posted by Dhalin View Post
    Looking to the future, I'm looking up recipes on istariareference and if I added it up right, I will need a bare minimum of 60 silver to get Blacksmith to 100.

That's bare minimum, and that's assuming I can find enough unguarded cobalt near a biped anvil (which I don't remember ever existing before). So it will likely take a bit more than that, probably in the range of 100-120 silver (due to having to switch to Stone for T4).

level an adventure school to 100. then hunt for components for a level 100 teched armor. the rahool junk loot and the trophy turn in rewards you get after all this hunting should net you a gold or two.

I think the point was for a crafter. If somebody wants to have a crafter but not an adventurer, how do they make money? That might be something to be addressed Amon, especially as the low level crafting grind is pretty dull. Perhaps you would consider a full line of crafting quests and 'trophy' quests that could be done to speed the process along.
    Ssilmath Torshak, Paladin of the Lost, Shaman of the Damned, Master Armorsmith

My other "crack would be cheaper" hobby
    http://ssilmath.deviantart.com/

Thread Information