Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steam Greenlight

Default Re: Steam Greenlight

[QUOTE=Dhalin;289543]Data Collection Policy? Every company has that. That doesn't mean they illegally steal your data. Wanna know Steam's?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221410...0354146300316/

3% of the core cpu and 7% of the core? im Suuuure its a good thing for istaria... pssh..it eats more data then world of warcraft...when deathwings on his rampage of devouring bipeds... i wonder whats steam doing when its on and why cant you just play the game instead allowing games to play without it? hmmm strange.. its like someones looking over your shoulder 24-7...
    Last edited by Velea; April 25th, 2013 at 10:49 AM.
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...
    What can i say? im a Classic dragon looking for a free easy meal?
    Or facing my family... Isent always a Wise decision..

They collect anonymous data about your computer as mentioned before -- they do surveys having to do with how strong your computer equipment is, how fast your internet connection is, etc.

This is something you can opt-out of (Steam pops up a little window asking if you want to send the data and tells you exactly what it is for).

They would probably need people to sift through this data. They collect this type of data so that they can tell developers what sort of equipment people are using, so that game companies can make more informed decisions about the games they program.

BTW, Steam is using 00% of my CPU while idle, and only using 120k memory (Firefox is using 180k). Steam uses LESS THAN FIREFOX.

http://i.imgur.com/w9Zf9aH.jpg

Again, it is a software conflict in your computer that is causing this.
    Last edited by Dhalin; April 25th, 2013 at 11:17 AM.

I am with Aaelefein on this. If playing Istaria means playing it through steam than I won't be playing. I hope I am wrong and what I read doesn't mean that.

Does the announcement mean that if it gets enough votes? Is Steam going to be the new way or another way?

Like Aael I have already had to abandon Civ over it. Guess this is the way computer gaming is going by looks of it. Back to console gaming I guess.

Sorry was missing ton of posts on this thread for some reason, there now. Guess my concerns were answered by the devs in a post I now see.

Freak out over.

heres an easy solution.. "never" give any game company your real information. use e-mail accounts outside your service provider (IE: Hotmail, g-mail so on)to avoid being spammed by other companies. never post your real info/address/phone numbers on any site, that includes you kids with telling your life stories on things like twitter and so on. think before you type. no one short of hackers, (and perverts)wants your lifes details in the first place. so don't give it to them

using a little common sense can go a long ways to protecting your data, and yourself most of all. research any questionable sites (whether or not they claim to be legit) before making an account and using it to tell the world what you're doing every second of the day..or even giving out so much as your home address/phone numbers. and remember, anything that goes on the web, is there permanently
    Last edited by Malicore; April 25th, 2013 at 01:55 PM.

Hey uhm, arch, i hate to break it to you, but isnt that the -Windows- data collection on a crashed application thing? You know... the thing that comes up when an application fails to launch or crashes? Run a different program that locks up like that. Any program. That will show up in there. While steam -does- have a data collection policy, its opt out. It asks you when you run steam if you want to participate.

Onto the main topic, i love the idea of it comming to steam. Let this little sslik give his two cents! First, any game that has a client outside of steam can run both with and without steam. Even if downloaded through steam. I have done this several times. Currently, i play a lot of DayZ. Guess where my Arma2 was installed from? :3

Second! I have to say it, steam is DRM. Its a service. All services, by default, share aspects of DRM. This one in particular requires you to have an internet connection to download your game. There are no hard copies of your game. But hold on, isnt this true of istaria? The only hard copies left around are ages old and still require you to connect to the internet to update. So, this is true anyway! Istaria is an MMO. Its a sevice. By default, it shares aspects of DRM. Steam itself is not 'always online' required for their games. But it DOES require you to log into it once every 30 days if you want to keep playing the games thtat -require- a steam login offline.

Lastly, publicity is a good and bad thing. We will attract many more people if it shows up on steam. By hitting the steam platform, millions of people will see istaria. Double edged blade. More people means more revenue for our little dev team holding Istaria together. More people means more jerks. Though it also means more good people. I hope to see istaria get through the Greenlight process. Best of luck!
    Achiever 13.33%, Explorer 60.00%, Killer 46.67%, Socializer 86.67%

We've got a basic FAQ added to the original post that should answer some questions / identify questions that simply have open answers right now.
    http://community.istaria.com/forum/s...eam-Greenlight

Thread Information