Thread: Questions From a *Really* New Dragon

Default Questions From a *Really* New Dragon

Hey, all...first off, apologies if I go over material posted somewhere else; I've looked around this forum quite a bit and have found SOME answers, but, some seem to be contradictory...or, it could simply be that I don't know enough to understand (entirely possible!!). Also, apologies for what will, no doubt, be a LENGTHY post!

I've been playing since Monday, 29 April, and slowly advanced my little white hatchling to ADV 16 and CRA 13 3/4, and have had a blast doing so. At what point should I begin to seriously consider the Lunus/Helian question? As I understand things (and, please, correct me if I'm wrong!! I'm really asking for advice in this whole message), the difference between the two is more a philosophical one, and *may* affect the way a dragon interacts with non-dragon (especially Human) players, and *may* affect the way a character plays the game. Of much more importance, it seems from my lowly, uninformed state, is the choice between being a spell-caster or melee tank.

And, there's where I've got questions. I enjoy, so far, the crafting aspect of the game; love the idea of being able to make my own gear, set up (assuming knowledge and ingredients) the way I want it. I also love being able to use magic during combat, as well as the close-in fighting of melee. Which leaves me with a problem of where to put Training Points. I've read in the forum the 'discussions' about melee versus spell-caster and am wondering: is it possible to be relatively good at both? I mean, can I create a dragon who can deal a reasonable amount of damage from a distance (using as an example - and, because they're all I've got right now! - Dragon's Reach and Improved Prime Bolt) to pull a mob or mobs to me, while still being able to hold my own and survive the ensuing close-in fight? Or, will creating such a "dual-purpose" dragon simply cripple me at higher levels, by not being able to do either thing really well?

At present, here are my stats and where I've spent Training Points:
    Tooth/Claw 171 30tp
    Intuition 167
    DragonBreath 182
    Primal 172 36tp
    MagEvasion 147 9tp
    Evasion 146 12tp
    Dexterity 146 16tp
    Focus 150 12tp
    Health 375 25tp
    Power 166 16tp
    Primal 172 36tp
    Strength 246 36 tp

I think I have 25 "buy-back" points available.

Questions: Is this a viable build, and a pattern I could sustain and have a dragon worth playing? Or, do I need to decide whether or not I want to be a melee or spell-caster, and change how I apportion Training Points? And, if so, should I make that decision NOW, or, can it wait...even more extreme, should I buy back some TP and move them to different places?

I know it's "my" dragon, and everyone is different...guess the big question is, if I continue this pattern, will Tondar end up being lousy at everything?

Thanks, in advance, to anyone offering an opinion, advice, or suggestions!!

Tondargaet

Default Re: Questions From a *Really* New Dragon

Nice thing about training points, is that you can always re-shuffle them around. That's what buy back points are. When you hit lvl 100, you will have a total of 1200 points to spend.

Dragons are a melee class with some support magic. Meaning the melee is the stronger of the two. You can build a hybrid build and have both melee and some magic. Focusing on melee doesn't mean you are necessarily a tank, but you can do that to some degree.

If you want a hybrid build, I would max out tooth&claw training points, and split the rest between evasion and primal. Having points in primal means your debuffs have a better chance of landing (Grazing Winds, Unrelenting Winds) which increases damage you do with melee and spells.

For a maxed out melee build, max out tooth&claw training points, split the rest between evasion and health.

Caster build, you would max out primal, split the rest between evasion and power.

I like to use evasion in training points, because you can't get it anywhere else. You can tech everything else onto gear and use crystals in sockets.

Tech primal spells with cleanse that will take it, to cleanse off some magic effects you will get hit with since there are no points in magic evasion.

As far as I understand, you are not asked which path you will follow until you begin your right of passage to adult dragon. You start that any time after you hit 30 adventure/20 craft, although it is recommended that you get at least 50 adventure before doing RoP so that you really do earn it for yourself (at 30 you will need someone else to do most of the battling for you). From a roleplay perspective, how closely you adhere to the philosophical path is entirely up to you. As a gnome, I prefer helian dragons. ;-)

*sigh* faction DOES NOT tell you you're figthing style. As an orderling, you must consider faction more from your character's veiw of them.
    there has been many sucessfull melee-fighting helians, just as there has been many successful spell-casting lunus, and hybrid styles of both factions.

Guran, thanks for a clear answer. I'm probably going to go the hybrid route, since (in my mind, at any rate) it makes sense to use every weapon at my disposal...The suggestion of teching the various other attributes hadn't occurred to me (another good reason to ask questions!).

Awdz, good advice, that I've gotten from several other folks, so, I'm thinking I'll pay attention to it and not rush into being an Adult (people who know me would probably say I'm still not rushing to be an adult ). As for factions, the real "me" would absolutely be Helian, which might make being a Lunus more interesting from an RP standpoint...particularly when gnomes are around

Azath, yes, I've gotten that point, as well...Faction seems to be much more about philosophy and, in-game, how we'd RP and interact with others. lol....be nice to be a hybrid there, as well, but, I guess, at some point I do have to choose.

Thanks for the answers!!

Thread Information