Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Defragmentation ? about Horizon's...

Default Re: Defragmentation ? about Horizon's...

Quote Originally Posted by Spellbound
    Hm, does running Horizon's in it's own partition make any difference on performance?

If it does I will try that if anyone knows for sure.
    No, it means that not Hz gets defragmented but your system. And I run Hz in its own partition too (still from beta, was my betatester partition originally) and Hz defrags not really much for me too.

Horizons Empire

Quote Originally Posted by Leannae
    [img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Bleri wrote: [img]/Web/Themes/Generic/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Amon Gwareth wrote: Do many of you happen to delete your world_cache filesvery often?

- Amon

I have to delete my world cache just to access my plot [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-6.gif[/img] which is in Jeanne. Theres an invisible barrier around it which appears every time I leave the area.

Bleri McThrust
    Unity

I have the same problem when I try and use the portal in the next town. I live in Jambi, only way out is recall or through Pangai and Pangai has an invisible wall around it unless I delete my world cache. The other problem with this method is, as soon as I log out, the barrier comes back and I have to repeat the world cache delete to get through again. [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-9.gif[/img]
    I live in Jambi on Unity, same problem. Pls fix this AE.
    Ex-Moderator
    Lauryav|Unity| Lvl 100 Wizard- Lvl 8x Mage - Lvl 82 Weaver

Britt Tigahare

I've had this computer since January and defragmented once before I got Horizons in February. Just checked today and this is the first time I have had to defragment my computer since the last time (probably didn't even need it the first time I did it).

Now this could be because I deleted the world cache files AND the terrain file. I did this because I had to upgrade my graphics driver which was causing my computer to spontaneously restart. It is not compatible with Horizons (Integrated Intel Graphics card) but am too poor to get one that is (hopefully I can manage with my next paycheck). After upgrading, I'm now having major terrain issues. If I knew how to attach photos, I'd show you what it looks like. But I thought maybe redownloading the terrain files would work, but no. It didn't do this before the upgrade, apparently the "new and improved" upgrade is even worse than the last one. Go figure.

Unai

You should try Horizons in its own disk rather than in its own partition [:)]

gopher65

/offtopic

I live in Jambi on Chaos. Same problem. No response to trouble ticket yet:(. Just to be clear, not everyone has this problem. But some of those who do actually LIVE in Pangia (sp).So this can't be a problem with permissions, else those who owned plots in that guild wouldn't be having this issue.

/ontopic

I run HZ on its own drive now. This seems to help a bit. Since HZ is the only thing of any concequence on the drive (I have a few eps of SG-1 and Atlantis as well), it is the only thing that can be causing fragmentation. I have had the same experience as some of you have posted above. HZ only becomes seriously fragmented when I delete the terrian files. If I don't it has a very low rate of fragmentation; it takesseveral months to get to the point where windows thinks it should deframent the drive.

/sortaofftopic

Amon, some people have the game stop working for them if they don't delete the World Cache. This has happened to me (and many other people that I know). Ilog onforabout asecond, then as the terrian around mestarts toload Iget booted. Personally I think this has to do with a bug in windows (or a design flaw). Internet Explorer has similar issues (for me) when the temp internet file folder grows to over ~600 megs. It becomes really buggy and almost unusable. Same thing happens to me in HZ if the worldcache folder grows to a certain size.

I've never seen anyone else saythis, but I personally believe that it has to do with having an absolutely huge number of files in a single folder, rather than the actual size of the folder (cause I have hadsome that are~12gigs of large files, and they have no problems). Since both HZ and IE utilize a vast number of tiny files in a single directory, perhaps this is a problem? It is the only connection between the programs that I could think of.

Unai

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    I've never seen anyone else saythis, but I personally believe that it has to do with having an absolutely huge number of files in a single folder, rather than the actual size of the folder (cause I have hadsome that are~12gigs of large files, and they have no problems). Since both HZ and IE utilize a vast number of tiny files in a single directory, perhaps this is a problem? It is the only connection between the programs that I could think of.
    I agree: this is an issue with NTFS and FAT filesystems. Filesystems such as ReiserFS deal better with these particular scenarios.

gopher65

I have two drives. 1 is NTFS, the other is FAT. LOL I am screwed:P

I'm not as computer literate as some, so I've no idea how to track what files are getting moved. I have not defragged in a while - it kinda happens when Ikfel gets at my machine - but have not had any major issues.

OTOH I do have to delete my world cache before each log in or I cannot use the portal out of Aiya. Since that is the one right by my plot, this is highly annoying. I've yet to bind to my shrine as I do not have reliable egress. *curses the invisible walls as she does her mime imitation*

-Levity Merrel, Crai Aisling, Sans AoP by Aiya's Pad (and sometimes Portal)
    88 Blacksmith/63 Fitter/45 Mason/70 Reaver

gdonwallace

I started running defrag on my system this last weekend, and for the first time watched where everything was coming from. I don't generally care; I just start it and walk away. Come back in a couple hours to check on the progress and play the waiting game.

Those first 45 minutes, everything Windows was moving around was Horizon's related.

This is one screwed up game. I have heard that having Horizon's on a dedicated Hard drive will cut down on this, I may try it and see. Within the last week I have had CTD's for the first time in months, I have run into the mystry red wall in very odd places (First time it actually happened and I was surprised at that)

They really need to look into the patching system too. I think that is a main component in how baddly Horizons is fragmentted. If they could re-tool the patcher, I think it would fix a lot of these problems.

Thx Gdon, I was hoping someone else would show that I was not insane when I stated that every file that was moved when I defraged my computer was Horizon's files.

Makes me wonder. Why does Horizon's have so many files? All other games I play usually have one huge .Dat file that most of the game runs off of. Why couldn't Horzion's have been the same way?

Not all games have only several big files. (look at HL2 for example).
    Makes loading and patching faster.

gopher65

I'd imagine that it has small files for patching. I wouldn't appreciate having to download a 30 meg file every time we patched rather than 20 50K files. Makes sense from thatPoVIMO.

Atreyu let your post through as theres nothing wrong about it, horizons does defragment your drive over time

Kazairl Thirishrin

Quote Originally Posted by padishar
    Not all games have only several big files. (look at HL2 for example).
    Makes loading and patching faster.
    Not really, just look at GuildWars... its just what, 4files? The exe to start the game, a temp file, a log file and a HUGE several100megs big data file and if you get into a new area all thats downloaded is a few megs of missing textures that gets added into that huge file.

Thread Information