Thread: Item Decay 1.. 2.. 3..

Auril

Default Item Decay 1.. 2.. 3..

Well, this issue was probably discussed before. But alas, i never met it ingame till now. I "foolishly" purchased EQ2 and gave it a try. I did not like most things, but one thing was intriguing and that is item decay. Before i thought that is a BAD BAD thing, i would have opted rather not having it in a game. However, when i actually experienced it (see, I died too many times and my armor just got too much damage [:$] ), i thought it was pretty justified.

So i started to think about the whole thing. Item decay... its not that bad, actually, would not it be an uplift for adventurers and crafters at the same time? Would it not make adventuring more challenging for high and low level characters, instead of grinding, forcing to use more tacticts? Because i thought it made it in EQ2. Also, it would make the crafters answer to demand in a more frequent rate, (stores opening, specializing?), industrial competition would probably bit more tough, but i think we would rise to the challenge.
    And that should be also applicable to dragons. ((Although I would think using hoard for attacks is a kind of item decay? )).
    Personally I would like to see that my armor diminishes if Snogg would sneak up on me and whacked me in the head. I mean his Engulf would probably melt the armor pretty good right? Of course that should also be dependable on what kind of an armor it is. Like our example, Snogg, could not damage a mithrilplatemail as much but maybe it would totally decay a bronze ringmail?
    I know this is getting very realistic, but alas some of you already know, i really like role playing, and in role playing item decay was always a part of the game.

Any thoughts, opposing or not, taking this idea on, or totally contring it, please, write. :)

Sincerely
    Auril

Default Re: Item Decay 1.. 2.. 3..

I think it would be great if Items could decay, such as if I use a Flame Bolt II, the enemy's armor (if it has any) should melt somewhat, or if an ogre of some sort smashes me with an axe or something I would think it reasonable for the part of my armor damaged should be severly dented, no?

I realy think it would make the game alot more vivid (on the Adventuring side and even open new realms of crafting (repairing.)

I thin kit would be cool to have the same thing hapen to your body (broken bones, head aches, burns, and any other effects that they could think up. Cause personaly, when I get totaly desomated by an avatar when he smashes me with his mace thingy, I think that both me and my armor should get realy nastily busted up. You know? I would like it that when my Half Giant char thwacks somebody real hard, that they be cripled until I exacute them, hehehe...
    Istaria shall soon become overwellmed by the Undead hordes! Phinius

It is already time consuming to find crafters to make armor and weapons. Add item decay where we have to spend even more time getting crafters to make armor and weapons is a sure way to loose 2 more accounts right here...

ok *casts spirit bolt* you gus armour is broke and now you have...mobs that you must fight...nakid
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketsup
    Ssafire-lvl 100 Cleric, 100 Bloodmage, 100 Mage, 100 Druid, 90 Monk, Saris
    Safiretalon-lvl 66 dragon adventurer, lvl 32 dragon crafter, lvl 14 dragon lairshaper.
    Guild: Dark Defenders
    Horizons player since: December 21st 2003

It sounds vivid sure. In reality it just results in another maintnence grind for adventurers.

My armor breaks while I am out fighting. So now I have to recall, go find a crafter if I can even find one available, get him to repair, that costs me money and timeand completely halted what I was originally doing, hunting. Afterwards, I have to run allthe way back to where I was, and depending on where that is that could be a long run.Sounds like a blast.

It would result in yet another inconvenience. Another plauge to adventuring. EQ2 has LOTS of personal rewards for going out and adventuring which can make up for itemdecay. HZ has none other than 'level up'. This change would NOT be fun for adventurers.
    Vesuvius Veix
    100/100 Dragon of Order with 26+ Million Hoard
    Officer of the Keir Chet k'Eilerten
    "Why am I cynical you ask? Because I have been given little to make me feel otherwise."

Thread Information