Thread: Getting error 12 on Choas login

Default Getting error 12 on Choas login

anyone else experiencing this? multiple login attempts over the past hour, all result in error 12

Default Re: Getting error 12 on Choas login

I'm having trouble today, not sure why. Launcher lets me login but when I try to get on as my character, a Windows pop up comes up saying Istaria.exe has stopped working. Suggestions?

Solved my problem by smacking windows firewall around with a moderately-sized stick.

Any time you've a connection issue, when you've connecctions elsewhere, is to check your local firewalls, both software and hardware. If you're unsure, there are a few guides out there for various manufacturers of routers. One thing I noticed is that if you use an ISP provided modem or gateway, you might be limited in what you can change. You would need an OEM build.

I know Cox issues Netgear gateways for example. A gateway is the modem and router combined into one. It's convenient, but it's also limited, and considering the amount of traffic a modem goes through, you put your routing end at risk if something faults.

I can't imagine if you have been able to connect and now suddenly cannot, that it would be a hardware issue. Most likely something got switched on the software side. Would try ending all antivirus, firewall, 'internet security' software and try running launcher.
    rip

@awdz I also suggest first looking at Microsoft Firewall. On Win7 click on Control Panel, System and Security. Then under Windows Firewall, click the "Allow a program through Windows Firewall".

On mine I have two entries. Istaria and Istaria Launcher. Istaria points to the istaria.exe in the game folder and Istaria Launcher points to the JLauncher.exe. Both have a checkbox at the beginning and also under the Home/Work (private) checkbox.

But you can also quickly check if this is the culprit by temporarily turning it off. Control Panel, System and Security, Windows Firewall. On this menu, on the left window pane is a link "Turn Windows Firewall on or off".

As mentioned before, check on any antivirus programs. Maybe temporarily disable those too. Or see about an option to allow those two files in the program (just like you allow it in Firewall)

Lastly, Router security would be the next on list... But if it worked before, seems unlikely unless you changed something. Could try logging into your router (usually http://192.168.1.1 but can vary slightly). Some have an option to block/unblock ports. Maybe setting your computer to a DMZ (Demilatarized zone) temporarily.
    Last edited by Cegaiel; July 19th, 2013 at 02:36 AM.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Thread Information