Thread: Customize Option: Lock Item

Default Customize Option: Lock Item

Would like to see an option, under right click item, Customize menu or can be somewhere else on the right click menu. Something to the effect of "Lock an Item". Not the same as the "Lock" option under Properties (that only locks the actual window from being moved or resized).

I mean a different lock, that would prevent an item from being (accidentally) deleted or deconstructed. To have this checkbox to not only prevent deleting/deconstructing, but also trading or selling to a a PB or consigner would even be better. But if thats too much to initially start off with, then just prevent deleting would be awesome.

Common scenario. I like to keep my common tools in inventory at all times. Maybe a pick axe, essence siphon, tongs, hammer etc. Just in case... If you're leveling crafting, for example, its easy to forget to check the "Auto Deconstruct" box sometimes. You're left with 30 crafted items in inventory you then have to manually highlight and right click/Deconstruct the items. If doing Spellcrafter or Blacksmith for example, might be making and deconning tools for exp. Your regular tool could be in the mix there and accidentally get selected for deconstruct. Many other scenarios like this. Might have some super rare stuff that you absolutely want to protect from stupid mistakes. I've lost a whole set of armor before >< I'm 98% sure I didn't delete it. Think it was a glitch when I was equipping cargo armor directly from a vault. But maybe that option could've prevented it, IF that was the case.

Would think it'd be fairly simple. Before any routine that deletes the item from db, add a If Then statement. If this box is set to yes, do nothing (except show message in main chat that the item is locked), else continue with deleting.
    Last edited by Cegaiel; July 16th, 2013 at 05:04 AM.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Default Re: Customize Option: Lock Item

Yeah would be nice to see the contents reserved option extend to individual items.
    rip

I just keep my tools in a pouch, the pouch is customized with the "Reserved" checkbox checked. I believe this was the purpose of the checkbox to begin with, and is a very simple solution.

Equipping one tool to the next from the opened pouch in inventory, drops the last unequipped tool back in the pouch... very easy to keep them separated from your main inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    I just keep my tools in a pouch, the pouch is customized with the "Reserved" checkbox checked. I believe this was the purpose of the checkbox to begin with, and is a very simple solution.

Equipping one tool to the next from the opened pouch in inventory, drops the last unequipped tool back in the pouch... very easy to keep them separated from your main inventory.
    Yeah that's the method I use now. Works fine, just not all of my items will fit categorically per pouch. Waste of bulk.
    rip

I suppose that will work. My initial thinking was my hotkeys for the tools wouldn't know they were in the bag and not work. Guess it does, I was surprised my hotkey still works after putting them in bags. Well guess that's nice. But on another note, the Contents Reserved box is grayed out. Only people that's been around in the game for a while would know that checkbox only works with a bag. A fairly new player would be puzzled as to why that box is always grayed out and can not be checked.

At the very least, should make the tool tip (while hovering the "Contents for Sale" and "Contents reserved") say something to the effect about it only works on bags. Likewise, many new players aren't even going to know about bags, period. Thinking something more friendly. Maybe my idea might be a bit more extreme, but more friendly and don't think it should be too hard. Just another field in the db. shrug. Very least, can we add an extra line or two in the tooltip while hovering those checkboxes?
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Speaking as one of those newer players, I think this is an outstanding idea. The first few times as a hatchie that you have your inventory chock-full of critter parts, trophy items, dropped forms/techs, etc., it's a confusing mess...when you've also got a cargo disk, a bronze-bar or three, and who knows what else, it is SOOOO easy to mistakenly click on something to delete or sell.

As for having other containers within my scale-pack to hold 'like-items,' I didn't even know a Dragon could *do* that until I asked a Guildie if I could use a scale-pack within a scale-pack...I have a sandstone scale-pack holding the various scale sets that I now own. Still not sure (to be honest) which of the various types of containers I can use, inside my scale-pack, as a dragon....
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and extra-tasty dipped in ketchup.

Tandargaet (and others)...

While you can use backpacks and scale-packs as a container within a container, your best option is to use the cloth pouches (which I see no longer drop and don't think I've ever seen any in a connie since my return). These are of much lower bulk vs. the packs (esp. the dragon packs...at least I think they are heavier than the backpack equivalent). They also come colored so it is much easier to sort your growing collections of items. You can also use pouches within pouches - I've got one that holds "Craft Jewelry" and within it are several pouches broken down by the school the jewelry is to be used for. Can (and I do) do the same for things like comps, spells, forms, etcetera - the combinations are almost unlimited.

As to the opening post...I concur whole-heartedly - nothing worse than looking in your inventory and wondering where that crystal came from - only to realize one deconstructed their socketed pick which switching to make/decon some tools.

Also...though could be mistaken, I believe that original 'check box' on containers was for when people were supposed to be able to act as a connie/pawnbroker (not sure if that ever worked, but it was in the original game manual)...one could stand there in say Bristugo (used to be a HOT SPOT for player trading, seeing 20-30 peeps there at a time was not uncommon)and sell out of their backpack - but the stuff in the 'reserved' pouch wasn't available for viewing or selling (and vice-versa for the other option).
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Lvl 100 scalepack has the lowest weight of all containers. I really like the idea to have a option to protect items from being deconned, pawned or consigned.
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

The lvl 100 scalepack is 5 bulk. The steelsilk pouches are 5 bulk.

2 or 3 is usually plenty for various sorting, and can be set to protect contents.

2 or 3 is usually plenty for various sorting, and can be set to protect contents.
    Got me thinking, they should remove the bulk of the pouches themselves. I use a couple here and there (makes sense you add additional 'pouches' to a sack), but it's annoying that they eat up bulk themselves.
    rip

Must be some serious magic into making those scale packs...all that stone, not to mention the other things and it only weighs 5?? On that note - good suggestion of dropping the weight on the dyeable pouches.
    Spirit Brothers
    Aaelefein - Foremost a Grand Master Crafter, also a Paladin/Healer/Druid/Mage/Spiritist
    Treyvan - Adult Dragon 100A/100DC/100LS/95CS
    Skandrannon - Growing and Expert Dragon Crafter

Ah, thanks for the information, Aaelefein...I'll keep an eye open for a couple of pouches (or, make friends with a player capable of making them for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaelefein View Post
    Tandargaet (and others)...

While you can use backpacks and scale-packs as a container within a container, your best option is to use the cloth pouches (which I see no longer drop and don't think I've ever seen any in a connie since my return). These are of much lower bulk vs. the packs (esp. the dragon packs...at least I think they are heavier than the backpack equivalent). They also come colored so it is much easier to sort your growing collections of items. You can also use pouches within pouches - I've got one that holds "Craft Jewelry" and within it are several pouches broken down by the school the jewelry is to be used for. Can (and I do) do the same for things like comps, spells, forms, etcetera - the combinations are almost unlimited.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and extra-tasty dipped in ketchup.

Thread Information