Thread: Boats, Ferrys and other floating contraptions.

Default Boats, Ferrys and other floating contraptions.

This is an aspect that is missing in horizons. I believe that boats, ships, ferys, canoes
    and the like should be purchasable at bays or harbours. A player, or guild could buy an
    area of the bay, such as a dock section or even a whole dock. Ships
    could be armed with ballista slots where players could fire a ballista at a pirate ship,
    sea monster and any other nasty eveil ocean invader. Ships could have
    suply areas, cooking machines and a number of empty cabans that could be
    filled. Ships would range from fast speeders to heavy jugernaught ships and
    any maner of larg vesels. Along with a ship would be a guildish type system that would
    allow ranks: Captain, Cooks, Lookouts, Left Tenants, and all the other ranks icluded
    with ship. Then there could be the more simple crafts, Rafts, Log Boats
    and other small vesels.
    Istaria shall soon become overwellmed by the Undead hordes! Phinius

Default Re: Boats, Ferrys and other floating contraptions.

The idea of ships I like :)
    but i much rather would be able to build one myself instead of buying one, with building skills, carpentry, fitting, weaving and some tinkering we should be able to build our own - little - ship.
    She heard Nanny say: 'Beats me why they're always putting invisible runes on their doors. I mean, you pays some wizard to put invisible runes on your door, and how do you know you've got value for money?'
    She heard Granny say: 'No problem there. If you can't see 'em, you know you've got proper invisible runes.'

Most likely in a crafting field somewhere

Hmm the idea of building your own ships sounds cool.

Proud and loyal members of Battalion
    Xarii Ani - Dryad - Chaos shard
    Quazi Ani - Dragon - Chaos shard

Do a search for a similar topic, then talk to the dock person in Dalimond (the one with a boat). Check the lighthouse keeper too. There is lore for lack of sea content.

But I heard it is under consideration as content.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

I like the idea of adding watercraftcontent. The beginning of which should be, of course, allowing players to swim.

However, there's also some things that need to be considered:
    The big #1) Aside from adding polish to the game, what is thebenefitof being able to build ships/boats? There areno realrivers or river systems in Istaria.

To answer #1) Consider the possibility of new resource nodes found only off-shore to offer motivation for their use. Perhaps these new nodes, or new resources, are of great use to trades on land?

What design changes must be enacted to allow the use of watercraft?

Your guesses are as good as mine.

hehe and if you lose a battle the whole ship sinks abd ever one drowns and must recall ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Khoal
    To answer #1) Consider the possibility of new resource nodes found only off-shore to offer motivation for their use. Perhaps these new nodes, or new resources, are of great use to trades on land?
    In the same respect as those resources found on the Satyr isles. They're used for talismans I believe.
    Truth is absolution - Killswitch Engage
    Gusi: 100 lvls of ELAR deleted and crafting forte.
    Aquzon: 0/100 Draconic Crafter achieved in under 100 hours gameplay.
    Yuthakon: 31 Berserker and aspiring Constructor.
    Proud member of Strata on Order Realm

Player made boats would be very cool and fit right into HZ (although some people are going to sail off the edge of the world).

I figured that plots next to a body of water would be able to build a "shipyard" which could in turn build boats. A lot of details would have to be worked out. The people who weren't lucky to have plots next to the water would of course whine. Do boats stay in the world after the owner leaves? If they don't, what happens if several people are on the boat and the owner disconnects? If they do, who controls them and what would keep someone from taking the owner's boat who knows where?

Along with boats they could have sea monsters and such.

They put in some lore for the lack of boats, but that's just because they always put in lore to explain things in-game. Just like they have lore for the merge and for players being able to recall and raise from the dead. If they got boats it would be easy enough to have an event happen to explain why people are sailing again.

Alas, I bet something like this would be VERY major. The biggeset thing they've done since release. Maybe even bigger then mounts would be. Best not hope for anything too soon.

Most likely in a crafting field somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Goriax
    Alas, I bet something like this would be VERY major. The biggeset thing they've done since release. Maybe even bigger then mounts would be. Best not hope for anything too soon.
    Bringing in mounts would have to be followed with an Animal Taming skill, not because its NNEDED but because i believe it would be a very popular skill.

Proud and loyal members of Battalion
    Xarii Ani - Dryad - Chaos shard
    Quazi Ani - Dragon - Chaos shard

I think this would be great as well.
    The very least benefit would be to be able to pile in construction nodes and sail them to your 'near water' plot, if you have one.

i recall hearin elsewhere that watertransport is a feature to be worked on in the future sometime. would be great to see imo as well. for the steeds they may be waitin till they get dragon riding figured out coding wise before doin that.
    Soaring the skies of Istaria every day.

Thread Information