Thread: Blank Tech Kits

Default Blank Tech Kits

As someone who likes making things (that have techs on them!) but doesn't have a lot of storage space, this would be nice.

I have a good amount of components that takes up quite a bit of room. It would be nice if (for example) I could make a tech kit that gives an item Dexterity V when applied - having it as a tech kit instead of applying Dexterity V at the time of creation would 1) Save some stacks/bulk because [I] wouldn't have to carry around 2 components and the necessary orb type and 2) it would be nice to be able to put up tech kits of commonly used techs on the connie instead of some components and orbs

Default Re: Blank Tech Kits

This suggestion has particular appeal noting that posting teched items on the connies is a low yield venture in that there are so many combos of techs/items and only a few of these combos are if interest to any of the potential buyers on the shard. Implementing a kit system for this could be a big positive game changer.

Knossos

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Or even something like a 'Tech kit Sponge' to remove and store 1 used tech from an item.
    Perhaps say a batch of 10 for a small amount of Vet reward tokens?

Many Tech are 1 time special kits that just sit in Vaults as nobody wants to waste them on the 'wrong' piece of armour or the wrong weapon.
    The main problem really is we have no idea what will stack with what.
    I have a few wasted tech on items now since I added only to find I couldn't add the other bits I wanted to....now that tech is basically 'wasted' on the piece of armour.

This!
    Azath's vault doesn't even have a single item stack of space left (partly because i am too lazy to transfer crystals across to other alts) mostly because it's got so many random bits 'n' bobs from very random techs.
    I would love if this happened! Not only would gear finally be easier to get -- you'd simply throw some random gear and random techs on the connie and there! Teched gear is hard to sell when people may not want that combination of techs.
    But, it would also reduce A LOT of space in item stacks. I can have about 1/4 at least of my vault item stack limit left if i could turn all those comps into something...

Furthermore, it may finally open up an oppertunity for dragons to help bipeds more. (you give us some nice scrolls and potions and we'll give you our tech-tech kits? :P) I know for a fact, i could at least make 10 different types of biped tech with the comps i have in my vault, of no use at all to my biped. Instead of just throwing them on the consigner for someone else to dig through all their stuff to see if they've got stock i could easily (assumedly) just make biped tech-tech kits and throw 'em on the connie.

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

To be honest I can't see this happening for normal techs that just require components because, well you can just gather some more components and make a different version.
    I was thinking more on the 'special' tech kits given by NPC's as quest rewards. The ones where you only get 1 per Char and once it's used that's it.
    Nobody is using these as nobody want's to risk wasting them.
    They are just gathering dust in vaults.

I think the easiest way to look at it is, anything that comes in a Kit form to start with should be able to be removed from the item it was applied to (at the cost of the item though perhaps)
    Base stuff can always be re-made but special techs cannot.

How about something like the crystal sockets.....a Tech socket that can be added to the item then the techs can be added to them and removed with some other means (again I still think vet reward type on this)

Or a quest (or Vet reward item) to turn Techs into a crystal form?

Not only would gear finally be easier to get
    Nothing worth having comes easy
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

Quote Originally Posted by Sindala View Post
    To be honest I can't see this happening for normal techs that just require components because, well you can just gather some more components and make a different version.
    I was thinking more on the 'special' tech kits given by NPC's as quest rewards. The ones where you only get 1 per Char and once it's used that's it.
    Nobody is using these as nobody want's to risk wasting them.
    They are just gathering dust in vaults.

I think the easiest way to look at it is, anything that comes in a Kit form to start with should be able to be removed from the item it was applied to (at the cost of the item though perhaps)
    Base stuff can always be re-made but special techs cannot.

How about something like the crystal sockets.....a Tech socket that can be added to the item then the techs can be added to them and removed with some other means (again I still think vet reward type on this)

Or a quest (or Vet reward item) to turn Techs into a crystal form?
    I like your general point, which is the quest techs which might be nice, but everyone is afraid to use for the fear of wasting it on the wrong piece of gear, results in the tech never being used, ever. Which kinda negates the point.

I think an easier solution would simply be to allow the techs be applied indefinitely. It can attune the item, so people aren't giving away techs to people who haven't earned it. And if the reason the techs consume themselves, was because the dev's didn't want players using multiple items with the same tech at the same time, that this could be easily solved by making the item apply to pieces of gear which only one can be used at a time: Helm, Shield, Necklace, Chest, Legs, Boots, Tailscale, Backscale, (not chest scale since that one is full with the old techs), headscale, weapons, claws. But not earrings, shoulderpads, wristbands, bracelets, wing scales, foreleg scales, hindleg scales. Each tech kit would apply to one particular piece/slot of biped gear, and one slot of dragon gear.

Alternatively, make it craftable once initially earned. The crafted tech kit, as well as the item after application can both be attuned.

One step in the right direction that the dev's have made, was that many of the kits now have much better descriptions on what their effects will be once applied to the piece of gear. However the stacking issue can still be a problem, such as making a bow with no techs applied, with the plan of applying say the ironwood shaft tech, dire wolf hide grip, and a socket. Only to find out after applying one that the other will not go.

For the techs which already are craftable: Dire wolf hide grip, ironwood shaft, thurids demon slayer tech, which came in a nicer quest reward version, these could be fixed by simply making the crafted item equal in stats to the quest reward item. Dire wolf hide grip should be as good as the Calimir's Hide Grip. Then, if someone is dragging techs around in inventory and accidentally applies Calimir's to something they didn't want to (this has happened to me before thanks to client lag), its not a problem which requires a ticket to 'hopefully' resolve. They can just go craft a replacement.

I like the OP's idea, but it sounds like it might be too much work with too many techs to be feasible anytime soon. But making some the techs either craftable or re-useable would go a long way to fixing all of these issues. At least in the case of quest reward techs.

Let's see. Lots in this thread to respond to.

* Making existing techniques into tech kits would be a monumental task unfortunately.
    * There is no tech currently to remove techniques once applied.
    * We are working on a way for players to re-acquire quest tech kits after they have been applied. Currently we're looking into the possibility of Daily Quests that you'd do to acquire Tokens which you would then spend on the tech kits.
    * Making craftable tech kits the same as their quested tech kit counterparts is not something we're looking to do. Someone doing the quest for the reward should have something better than someone who only purchased or crafted one since the effort was greater for the quest.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Thread Information