Thread: New Delta DrainBolt.

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Default New Delta DrainBolt.

So in the patch note's I see...

-Drain Bolt damage increased significantly.

Is this for bi-peds as my Dragon still cast's the same damage as before the patch? (130-160)

Nowhere near Slayvite's Lair i can tell you that. He has Ranch sauce instead of shampoo.

Default Re: New Delta DrainBolt.

I should add I was fully Dragon buffed before and after and use Drainbolt 10 on both also.

160-206 here- only dragon buffs- need to check on t5 mobs- will report later

Flameus highest 279 with ice attack on mobs in swamp (exept ice-dragon buffs only)
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Yeah, everyone is gonna have different readings due to TP allocation/ scales/ ect.
    My point was since I knew this change was gonna happen (and I love to use this on my caster Dragon) I took readings before and compared them to after the change.
    My understanding of the words 'increased significantly' are meaning 'a lot higher', and not 'about the same'.

Hard to make a call on it though when we don't know what about the 'damage' was changed....frequency, top end, low end, crit, ect.

Only the min/max damage values were altered. Everything else about them remained the same. I can't list them all, but here are two to look at:

Drain Bolt V went from a base damage range of 44-50 to 66-73, an increase of 47.9%.
    Drain Bolt X went from a base damage range of 84-90 to 111-118, an increase of 31.6%.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Ok, Makes sense now Cheers for that...........now all we need is an Improved Drain bolt since it's still a lot lower than Improved Prime bolt so we'll all carry on using prime bolt as a 1st choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sindala View Post
    Ok, Makes sense now Cheers for that...........now all we need is an Improved Drain bolt since it's still a lot lower than Improved Prime bolt so we'll all carry on using prime bolt as a 1st choice.
    What so you expect it to deal as much as Primebolt be faster than PB AND heal.... erm no its called a trade off.. you deal a little less per bolt but cast faster and heal too.
    Last edited by Calyndrell; January 9th, 2014 at 04:52 PM.

Drain bolt heals??? Lol, i'll have to look into that as I've never noticed any healing going on

Heh, it does! Drain Bolt X returns as much as 45% of the damage you inflict back to you. Probably didn't notice it much cause I'm not sure it has a combat message and the damage was fairly low. Our goal in raising the damage was to get it up above non-Improved techniqued bolt spells.

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Hehe, all these years and i'm still learning. I thought Drainbolt actually took a bit of your HP each cast to make it more potent. Like a 'draining' bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Only the min/max damage values were altered. Everything else about them remained the same. I can't list them all, but here are two to look at:

Drain Bolt V went from a base damage range of 44-50 to 66-73, an increase of 47.9%.
    Drain Bolt X went from a base damage range of 84-90 to 111-118, an increase of 31.6%.
    One thing to remember is that the above damage ranges you modified, are actually NOT significant increases. The increase on Drain Bolt X is 26 to 28. Not really what I would call "significant".

Spell damage mainly comes from base stats of the players such as spell-skill (Primal in this case), power, and to a lesser extent focus.

Those stats produce a "base damage" amount, then, the spells listed damage range is added on (randomly chosen), and lastly the guassian bell or whatever it is called applies a last amount of randoming to the damage. What I am trying to say is that increasing the spells "Damage range" is only a small change, added in the latter portion of the damage calculation.

To demonstrate what I am trying to point out, any level 100 player, pick a t1 bolt. I believe level 1 spirit bolt's damage is listed as "2-4". It will be obvious to anyone who has leveled up that the damage is far higher than 2 to 4. My biped's t1 spirit bolt hits for 150 to 175. So we could make an educated guess that this toons base spell damage from spirit spells is calculating out to around 160, then 2 to 4 is added, and lastly the damage is modified by the final bell-curve randoming process. So the damage ends up hitting for on average 163 damage. This number bears little resemblance to the spells stated damage of 2 to 4.

So to make a truly significant change to drain bolt, the damage would need increased yet again.

My dragon is tooth&claw spec'd, but does have around 200 tp's in Primal. Before the change my Drain Bolt X hit for 45 to 70. Now it seems to be hitting for 55 to 80. Still so incredibly low that it isn't worth hotkeying.

The damage isn't going to be increased again. The damage is above other bolt spells and provides a heal and was merely increased to address concerns that the damage was lower than techniqued bolt spells.

Thread Information