Thread: Mini-Rant

Default Mini-Rant

First of all, let me begin by saying I *love* Istaria...the game, the world, the community...to me, it's simply the best out there.

By Istaria standards, I'm very much a new player, having been in-game with Tondargaet, my white dragon, for about 8 months. As those who know me - especially my long-suffering Guild-Mates - will attest, I try very hard to do as much as I can by myself; even when I'm told by my elders that I'll need assistance, I'll usually give whatever it is a try, solo, before asking for help.

Whether it's alone or with that assistance, though, when I've finished a quest or conquered a new (to me) critter, I have a warm sense of accomplishment. I felt good when I accomplished my first major goal within the game, reaching level 50 so I could earn the final hatchie scale...that was also my personal "trigger" to begin the RoP, and I was determined to solo as much of that as I could, which I also accomplished. It was the same with the ARoP: I soloed as much of that as I could, although I'd also learned that having a group combat isn't just safer, but, a LOT more fun, and I welcomed the assistance of 3 Ancients during my time in the Rift.

I don't mention all of this looking for praise, but, to make a point. I take the game, the world of Istaria and all of its challenges, as it comes to me. As a new player, it's *all* new to me...and, it's all challenging. I constantly hear that the game has become much easier...that the RoP and ARoP, especially, have been "watered down" from what they originally were. Well, that's nice, but, there's not a thing *I* can do about that.

Things may have gotten "easier," compared to how various quests were set up in the past; I'll stipulate that they have done so. But, while they are easier to *you*, someone who remembers going through things in the past, believe me, they're not all that easy to *us*, the player who's encountering all of these things for the very first time. I'd have happily attempted the RoP and ARoP (along with all the other quests) in their original form, if I'd had such a choice. But, I don't have that choice...I can only do what I'm required to do in-game.

When I finished my ARoP, and was still feeling a lovely sense of accomplishment, I heard, a number of times, about how much more difficult it used to be and how I'd gotten off "easy"....well, thanks very much for denigrating what I've done.

I'd simply ask the veteran players to remember that they were once a new player, too, and that they were experiencing everything for the very first time. No doubt they had a sense of accomplishment when they finished the various quest-lines for the first time; the newer players have that same sense of accomplishment, and it's every bit as valid as was the feeling of that veteran player. We don't have the memory of "how it used to be" to compare against today's experience...and, quite frankly, being told that what we've done isn't all that great, because things have been made "so easy"....well, that's simply rude.
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and extra-tasty dipped in ketchup.

Default Re: Mini-Rant

though I hope I`m not one of those vets who talk like you describe..
    (not that I know-at least recently^^)
    I say: Good words- well spoken, Tondargaet.
    Times have changed- so have the new players, und luckily the game too.
    Us vets have to accept that. And stop whining about good old days.
    Otherwise we become real ancients- of a kind noone wants to be or play with.

And though I know you`ve not been fishing for compliments- I watched you grow -
    and have much respect and appreciation for you and the way you earned your wings and ancienthood, dragon!
    *smiles and greets with a nod*
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Since we started at about the same time (albeit on different shards. You're on Order iirc and I'm on Chaos), I'll just off a slightly different point of view. I'm the same as you when it comes to trying most things solo first, although for me I usually try 2-3 times before asking for help. I started my RoP at 32, and through the happy accident of timing the start in Meteor Crater with another hatchie had assistance from an ancient. I then made it to Esh, and found out quickly why I heard trying to solo it is recommended to be at least level 50. Some of my most memorable solo moments involved doing things that people thought was impossible (or at the very least, extremely difficult) to do.

However, and maybe this is a difference between servers, I never have had anyone tell me during my time that I had it easy with the RoP or ARoP, or any other quest for that matter. I have found that people on Chaos tend to be pretty blunt and honest when it comes to what you should be able to do on your own, and when you need help. But aside from that, I have never seen anyone talk down to a newbie about how they have such-and-such quest a lot easier than the old version.
    Chaos: Xingolos PlagueWind (31 Hatchling: 23)---Cilok Magmaborn (retired Lunus Ancient: 100/100/60)---Turacegos Blizzardwing (20 Hatchling: 19)---Bilkur Tinkerton (Gnome adjusting to life on Spirit Isle)

Thank you, very much, Lovwyrm...I appreciate that, especially coming from someone like you :-)

And, no, you certainly weren't one of the few my little mini-rant was aimed at!
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for thou art crunchy, and extra-tasty dipped in ketchup.

Hey, Clok, glad to hear that...and, on Order, I certainly don't want it to sound like the denigrating of accomplishments is a common theme...just often enough to be annoying

Interesting that we started at about the same time...your Lunus has the exact same levels as my Helian...I have a 4th or 5th level hatchie...and, a low-level Sslik.....

Great minds think alike! Although my DCRS is higher, like 50-60, but I forgot to update it and haven't had time to really be in-game.

Glad the issue isn't super common though. Is it generally the same person or couple of people, or does it seem to be all different people at different times?
    Chaos: Xingolos PlagueWind (31 Hatchling: 23)---Cilok Magmaborn (retired Lunus Ancient: 100/100/60)---Turacegos Blizzardwing (20 Hatchling: 19)---Bilkur Tinkerton (Gnome adjusting to life on Spirit Isle)

lol....I was thinking the same thing I started looking at Crystal-Shaping about the same time as I was beginning my ARoP and really getting serious with Lair-Shaping, and it was all just too much...CS will come later (after I figure out biped plot-planning....oy).

It's primarily the same folks, and my mini-rant probably won't make a difference...just felt good putting it out there. The *most* common theme would be best exemplified by a friend from Winged Warriors (no names...don't want to embarrass her)...she was one of the original Ancients, and has a quiet pride about that, while still conveying a sense of congratulations to those who came after her.

Quote Originally Posted by Tondargaet_Glit View Post
    by a friend from Winged Warriors
    Is this person on Order or Chaos? I am in a guild, rather small however with the exact same name. I don't belive there were any ancients in my guild, though.
    Tarasin, Knowledge Seeker of Chaos 35/35 Chaos Shard Dragon

"Let your smile change the world, but don't let the world change your smile."

That dragon used to be on Order. Been gone for over a year now. Lair and everything gone. Too bad. Slimey on Order

Quote Originally Posted by Tarasin View Post
    Is this person on Order or Chaos? I am in a guild, rather small however with the exact same name. I don't belive there were any ancients in my guild, though.
    Not sure when winged warriors chaos came to be, but Winged Warriors has/had existed on order for many years, like i became aware of it about...early-mid 2013? thats 4 years+? xD

Also note-
    This thread is from 2014, so old names. :P

Thread Information