Thread: Cameos by devs of the past

Default Cameos by devs of the past

So... One of the first NPCs encountered in Dralnok's Doom is none other than Jim Poole, aka Amadan. Are there any other cameo appearances by developers both past and present as NPCs in the game? I'm not going to include Amon's tombstone

Sometimes find myself wondering about some of the old AE team and what they're up to these days. Adrian Lavallee (Smeglor) and Paul Tanganelli (Tango) come to mind, both very skilled individuals. Tango is responsible for the user interface we have in Horizons, and Smeglor worked diligently on the simulation layer (I think he also did some of the database work but I'm not sure). I wonder if these two and many others who worked on the game at one point in time or another have little 'cameo' appearances in the game as it stands today

Default Re: Cameos by devs of the past

First thing that comes to mind for me: There are tombstones with the names of some of them at the graveyard by the fall festival.

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    First thing that comes to mind for me: There are tombstones with the names of some of them at the graveyard by the fall festival.
    That I never understood. Every tombstone I took a look on has strange symbols. Then again it's the same for me with all signs and stones showing names of the cities
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

Quote Originally Posted by awdz View Post
    It's because these aren't NPCs that I said I wasn't going to include Amon's tombstone

I can think of one more NPC that has the same name as a past member of the dev team, but just to spice things up how about NPCs who have been bestowed with names of players from the community?

le palais du fromage and industrial complex, cliffside, shepherd's mountain, blight

illyist the great in bristugo fort. he was god of blight. he is mightily missed by those of us who knew him.
    you can't cast a play in hell and expect angels as actors
    check out my game blog: https://velveeta3.livejournal.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Tzael View Post
    It's because these aren't NPCs that I said I wasn't going to include Amon's tombstone

I can think of one more NPC that has the same name as a past member of the dev team, but just to spice things up how about NPCs who have been bestowed with names of players from the community?
    my guild master`s dragon: Tarrant, and the NPC in Delgarath: Doc Tarrant. XD
    I found that pretty neat! *looks for an NPC named Reagle, or Ryzaak now*
    Last edited by Darkwing_Duck; May 6th, 2014 at 09:22 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing_Duck View Post
    my guild master`s dragon: Tarrant, and the NPC in Delgarath: Doc Tarrant. XD
    I found that pretty neat! *looks for an NPC named Reagle, or Ryzaak now*
    Actually, the NPC was named for Damien Tarrant from the C.S. Friedman "Coldfire Trilogy" books. Possible that your guild master's Dragon was named for the same character. The "Doc" part was sort of an homage to "Back to the Future" and Doc Brown who tinkered with things.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    Actually, the NPC was named for Damien Tarrant from the C.S. Friedman "Coldfire Trilogy" books. Possible that your guild master's Dragon was named for the same character. The "Doc" part was sort of an homage to "Back to the Future" and Doc Brown who tinkered with things.
    ooohhh Any other gossipy info regarding where NPC names came from? would love to hear if theres any others?

I think Smeglor's npc is still on isles of battle. Amadan is in his cage in Dralnok's Doom. Tombstones all over of various.

that`s cool Amon! <3 back to the Future

I remember placing those Tombstones... hehehe
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

Ermahgerd it's Amadan! *waves*

Quote Originally Posted by Tzael View Post
    Ermahgerd it's Amadan! *waves*

WHAT!??!? Where? *runs*
    I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule.

Holy cow Amadan, you live in Eugene? Small world, I go there every weekend.
    Ssilmath Torshak, Paladin of the Lost, Shaman of the Damned, Master Armorsmith

My other "crack would be cheaper" hobby
    http://ssilmath.deviantart.com/

Yeap! It's a nice little small town. I enjoy it quite a bit. A bit greener than Arizona was.

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    A small nit to pick. The actual name of the character is Gerald Tarrant. "Damien Vryce" was a warrior-priest and second Main character
    of the story.

My Dragon's name "Tarrant Sunsprophet" should be a give away to those who read it.

He intended to become a Dragon Bloodmage/Spiritist when he grew up, but the schools never opened.

-Tarrant's Scribe.

Thread Information