Thread: my research about crafting blighted scales

Question my research about crafting blighted scales

Hi everyone,

I thought myself "Which effects could there be on blighted scales you craft? After all there are great ones out there to loot!" and therefore I created 648 Blighted Mithril-Marble Armor Back Scales and deconstructed them again afterwards.

That looked like this for example (you might click on the pic to show full size):

My summary is the following:

• there can be 0 to 3 "techs" on such a blighted scale (in case of 0 it's just the +60 armor in my case)
    • the more scales you craft at once, the less techs are applied aka the randomizer seems to have a problem. I created 38 scales at once and half of them had 0 techs on them
    • with attribute values 20 and above, the opposite stat is lowered (so when one gets +20, the other gets -20), this counts as one tec:
      Focus <-> Power
      Strength <-> Dexterity
    • health can go up to +150 without interdependencies
    • resistances can go up to +60 without interdependencies
    • resistances with values of 150 also have interdependencies counting only as one tec:
      Blight Resistance <-> Nature Resistance
      Spirit Resistance <-> Mind Resistance
      Flame Resistance <-> Ice Resistance
    • the only special effects besides attribute or skillpoints I got were (both always together):
      prevents recall
      prevents teleportation
    • some strange skill point changes:
      plus to Life Resistance / Ward
      plus to Primal Resistance / Ward
    • the color of the crafted scales doesn't seem to follow a pattern. I've seen Sandstone, Green, Light Green and "Standard" color of the scales. I couldn't make out a skill or alike they shared. (see my screenshot above)
    • the longes list I had was something like that:
      +60 armor
      +10 Ethereal armor
      +100 Strength
      -100 Dexterity
      +100 Spirit Resistance
      -100 Mind Resistance

What I miss are effects like "modifies recycle by -10%" or "Incoming damage 99%" or "5% Chance Target effect: Invigorate II" and alike (have chosen this three because I have access to scales with this effects). These are the things I want to see on a blighted scale. I thought maybe it's just a very low percentage to get such an ability. But none of the 648 crafted scales had any of those effects. And nobody can have this much bad luck I hope.

My conclusion:
    Because of the absolut randomness of the skill points, it's really difficult to get some scales you really would want to keep. I have kept exactly 1 scale of all those and only for a specific scale set about resistance I had in mind. If there had been scales with the missing effects I described, then I'm sure I would have crafted some more and then also from different kinds (not only armor back, yet it's one of the 13 expert blighted dragon scale formulas I have scribed).

But it seems that you have a much better change to loot a good blighted scale than crafting yourself some (it took me many hours to even craft this many shining blight cores).

If I ever will get the blighted formula for expert claws, then I will use my remaining 747 cores to try getting a nice weapon with them, but I don't think I will ever waste them on scales again.

Thanks for reading my research *bows* feel free to write a reply.
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

Default Re: my research about crafting blighted scales

I have also in the past picked up some pretty insane blighted stuff. I still have a spear that adds 1-3 fire damage per hit... from the time I picked it up off a skeleton! Its a prized possession. I also miss the rare invigorate scales. Another notable tech I've seen which is also incredibly rare deals death damage on hit. If you are lucky, it applies it to an enemy that hits you. If you are unlucky it deaths you to death. Depends on what it randomly generated the target of the effect to be.

I really enjoyed the randomness and the chance to get weird non standard effects for searching. Not sure if you can still do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Pharaxes View Post
    ...What I miss are effects like "modifies recycle by -10%" or "Incoming damage 99%" or "5% Chance Target effect: Invigorate II" and alike (have chosen this three because I have access to scales with this effects). These are the things I want to see on a blighted scale. I thought maybe it's just a very low percentage to get such an ability. But none of the 648 crafted scales had any of those effects. And nobody can have this much bad luck I hope...
    Not a bad test. Did you count up the numbers of each apparent "tech" that you got? Might have given an idea as to their chances to land.

The special effects you mentioned above are only possible on certain scales.

Chest gets the Invigorate and Life Leak effects, as well as Lowers incoming damage by certain percentages techs.

Head is the scale that mainly gets the recycle tech "Quickbreath". And a Delay modifier. Sadly neither of those seem to work. I think I have also see a recycle on a foreleg, but not sure.

If you mean if I had written down the effects on every single scale, then I'm sorry, I didn't. If I had done so then I'm sure I still would be crafting as writing down each skill change would be time consuming. So I crafted the scales, took a look what kind of effects it gives and in the end deconned it again to make some more scales.

So when only special scales get special effects, I wonder if you (or someone else) do have some kind of list about that. These are the expert blighted scale formulas I have scribed:

not this much as you can see...
    Research Assistant Pharaxes Sphaerideion (started playing 2007-09-08, ascended 2008-06-15)
    Dragon Adventurer: 100 (2009-01-05) Dragon Crafter: 100 (prior 2008-06-04)
    Dragon Crystalshaper: 100 (2013-12-21) Dragon Lairshaper: 100 (2013-09-28)

Thread Information