Thread: "Model Masks" - Question About Visual Hatchie-> Adult Modding

It depends which server board I think is which.

Default "Model Masks" - Question About Visual Hatchie-> Adult Modding

So I'm making a video of my hatchling Kailyr ascending to both adult and ancient with a bit more story and this time artwork for fun. He has a mentor but we RP the two outside of Istaria, as the person doesn't renew their account anymore. I want to include them in the video though, but they're ancient and if I were to remake their char temporarily it'd be a hatchling.

I wonder if it is possible in any way to have one hatchling modded to be ancient while the other stays the same? I know you can do something similar with Khutit (changing khutit file to be the ancient file). I also know if you use one of the stances there are mods that have you "equip an item" (I created a similar one for my friend for RP purposes, makes him look like he has a headband). Yet that's just a texture mod. I wonder if there is a way to combine the two?

An idea is that I could use costumes to change the model but that also might just be a texture mod (I'm pretty sure it is to be honest).

In short, I want to keep one hatchie looking like a hatchling while the other looks like an ancient. Any ideas?

Default Re: "Model Masks" - Question About Visual Hatchie-> Adult Modding

There is a way to do it possibly. When I was working on that Fly Free video I needed my character to be a hatchling (who was then an ancient) while standing by ancient dragons. But if you mod the def files then both appear to be hatchlings. They way I found around it was to come close to the ancient so that he loads, then mod the files so that ancients were hatchlings, then I changed to khutit and back. When I morphed back I ended up with an ancient disguised as a hatchling standing next to an ancient.

It might be possible to do something similar for two hatchlings but instead of turning khutit and back you would move one of them out of visual range for a minute or two so the client unloads the out of range model then come back after you changed the files. If the client reads those def files every time it loads a new dragon then it should work. I'm not 100% positive it will, though. And I don't know how long it will take for the client to unload the out of range model. I don't think I have ever tried doing it that way since I had the khutit workaround available.

Hmm... I'll test that, considering I need my own main character to be a hatchling and no one else (is only a 1 on 1 thing anyway).

Edit: So I threw hte mod on after loading both characters in. Had one in Kion, the other in Dralk, and teleported the supposed-to-be-hatchie one to Dralk. The other was still a hatchling despite having the file in resources_override and never loading him before. So I tried teleporting elsewhere with him following and he crashed, but it didn't work from what I could see. Relogged him in and everyone was ancient on his screen, so I tried moving Kailyr back about 100 meters to where he unloads and run back forward but that didn't work. Now going to remove the file and have Kailyr run out of vision and back... and Kailyr doesn't even load on his screen anymore. I'll try adding in the dragonj_u.ent without renaming into the resources_override and see if that helps.

Edit 2: That worked! Seems like adding something doesn't do anything as the file is already loaded within the game at its default source, but if you change it in resources_override, the game notices it there and uses that. Deleting it removes the model. Substituting it with the normal file then gives it something to load, which is just a normal hatchie.
    Last edited by Racktor; May 26th, 2014 at 12:55 PM.

On a related note, I completely changed my character Teikera:

To look like this:

So basically this was a 5-hour-long modding session to accomplish what I managed in 5 minutes. But hey, at least s/he can fly and fight now!

Glad that it worked for you. Have fun making the video.

Thanks! I will

By the way, do you know the tricks for controlling the camera beyond the normal in game controls? There are several settings that you can change in game with /setpref that control speed of movements, how "sticky" the camera is to your character (like you can have it follow you but at a slower speed so you can run away from it), how long it takes for the camera to stop moving and how fast it accelerates. I experimented with a lot of them and got some interesting results which are in "Fly Free". One neat one was to set one of the settings to a negative number and the camera would fly away from you into the far distance. Your character would vanish into the fog long before it would snap back to you. It has been a while and my memory has gotten hazy, but if you want I can list out some of the settings I used.

That'd be very nice to know if you don't mind listing. ^^ I wasn't sure that the camera had any /setprefs... was quite annoying trying to get a shot of a hatchie gliding away just to have the camera snap instantly back.

I had to go way back in search to find these. It was a long time ago I made this post.

Try commands like:
    "/setpref thirdPersonCameraFollowTension 3" (7 is default) This will make the camera lag behind your movements. You turn and it will slowly start to catch up. Tis great for flying sequences. A negative number will make your camera fly away from you but when it hits a far away difference it will snap back and start again at a random direction. Usually through the ground.

Or /setpref followed by any of these others (with the default value displayed here). You can hotkey them on the active bar so that you can change things with the GUI off. Use the arrow keys and/or the insert/delete/home/end/page up and down to control the camera.

camZoomMaxSpeed = 15
    camZoomAccel = 40
    camPitchMaxSpeed = 10
    camPitchAccel = 120
    camYawMaxSpeed = 10
    camYawAccel = 360
    thirdPersonFieldOfView = 90 (This one can give you some very psychedelic effects in the range of 1-259. 181-259 renders everything upside down. Don't use 0 or 180.
    firstPersonRotationSmoothingTension = 9.5 (I don't know if this still works with the new camera controls. Setting it low creates some great flying through lair movements. If you set this one negative and what used to be holding down the middle mouse button the world will go absolutely spinning crazy. It will give you vertigo.)

Use at your own risk. While I've not had any problems with these commands I cannot guarantee or take responsibility if you mess up.

I can't remember if this will enable it or not, but setting developer to true might give you extended camera controls.

Camera zoom, nice!! I think those ones should be on one of the options tabs
    --- iuvenilis --- [Officer of The Alliance]
    Demonslaying since July 2004

Awesome, thank you so much! I'll have to experiment around and hopefully not screw up my game... though I'll try to be careful enough not to.

Have any luck playing with the controls? Curious to see what you come up with.

Yup, pretty cool! I like the one that makes the camera lag behind, makes a nice view of a character running through places. Can't seem to figure out how to make the camera go really far out, but eh.

Also, you really weren't kidding when you said psychedelic effects...

Hmm. I thought that all you needed to do was turn the Developer setting to "true". And I always set collision to off. Am able to zoom way the heck out. You set that in ClientPrefs_Launch.def?

Nice screen shot. Is like you took a "Warp Speed" potion. I think that I made my character icon (seen to the left) using that command on a lower setting.

Oh my god I am a speck as an ancient and this is amazing. Thanks Solitaire. I had to set it in ClientPrefs_Launch.def.

Edit:

Can't edit my other post, what exactly does "enableCameraCollision" do anyway? It doesn't seem to make a difference for me.

It detects if there is an object between your character and the camera and will snap the camera back to the character's side of the object. With it disabled, you can set the camera in the trees and lock it and run the character by and you will see him obscured by the leaves and branches but the camera will never move.

With it disabled you can pass it through buildings and maybe even underground.

Hmmm... it didn't seem to do that for me - when moving my camera around it always pushed it forward to my character when trying to put it behind things, such as watching Kailyr run up the stairs of a tower and getting obscured by the next flight of stairs.

Thread Information