Thread: java version check failure

Default java version check failure

Hi all,

actually i have a problem with launcher version 4.9

a few days ago I updated my Java Version from 1.8.0_5 to 1.8.0_25. The jLauncher.exe which I usually use to start the launcher always displays a Dialog box with the alert message:
    "Java is required fir the launcher and was not found. Java Version 1.7 or newer is required"

When I enter my commandline and enter java -version it results "java version 1.8.0_25"

The problem I investigated seems to be that I use the sdk and not the jre, bit the application only allows usage of jre.

My suggestions are
    • support a config file for the launcher where the location of the valid jre can be specified
    • use system property (i.e. istaria_jre) where the jre can be specified
    • an automatic lookup for the jre inside the default sdk defined by JAVA_HOME

All solutions need an automatic extension of the path to resolve all dependencies needed.

I would prefer the first solution as I need different sdk's for some reasons.

Kind regards
    Chory

Default Re: java version check failure

I'm also running Java 1.8u25, my launcher works fine. My launcher2.jar is dated 9-4-2014

You don't have the 64-bit version of java installed, do you?
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

I helped someone with this exact same problem a few months ago. After installing an update, they got that message too.

After verifying that had the 32 bit installed (by the way it is perfectly fine to have both 32 and 64 bit installed at same time, I do). They also went to the java website that verifies which version is installed. Everything was displaying just fine.

We then uninstalled java and reinstalled it. Still same error. The solution finally was this. Uninstall, Reboot computer, Reinstall. I am unclear why the reboot was needed after uninstall, but that was the ticket. Hope this helps.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

many thx for help.

Since I reinstalled jre 1.8.0_25 in 32-bit version it works fine again.

But I still wonder why I have to install the 32-bit version even though I have a 64-bit system?

This is a 32 bit game. The Java 64 bit won't work, since this is not a 64 bit game. All 64 bit computers should have the 32 bit java, in addition to the 64 bit java installed at same time.. Most programs are 32 bit, not very many use the 64 bit archtitecture. You are likely to be more safe to have only the 32 bit installed, the 64 bit is not so important. By having both versions installed, you can take advantage of all 32 or 64 bit programs.

What Cegaiel said. In addition, you can go here and it contains more information about which version to choose: https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/java_win64bit.xml

It refers to web content, but it holds for pretty much any content (apps) that use Java. Key part is:

Note that because some web content may not work properly in a 64-bit browser, we recommend using the default 32-bit browser and downloading 32-bit Java.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Adding to what Amon said and off topic and a side note for Web Browsers.

For those that use Internet Explorer. There are actually two of them in Windows 7; a 32 bit and a 64 bit version. By default, I think the Blue "e" icon (for IE) is actually pointing to the 64 bit version. I manually change mine and use the 32 bit IE exclusively. If you're using the default 64 bit browser and go to a page with a java applet (likely written in 32 bit) the java applet will display an error. I really wouldn't recommend using the 64 bit version of web browsers at all, as most plugins, etc will be 32 bit.

If you right click your Internet Explorer icon, choose Properties, Look at the Target field. If it says "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" then it is the 32 bit version. If it says "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" then it is the 64 bit version.

In general, you can tell whether a process is 32-bit or 64-bit by right-clicking the application in Task Manager and clicking Go To Process. 32-bit processes will end with *32

If you find a process of "iexplore.exe" then its the 64 bit running. If you find a process of "iexplore.exe *32" then its the 32 bit. This applies to other browsers and programs too, they will have *32 at the end of the process, when its 32 bit. You should find even though you're using a 64 bit OS, most programs you run are actually 32 bit

Most programs you install go to the C:\Program Files (x86) folder. The (x86) also designates it's a 32 bit program.

Okies, I snafu'd. Based on the fact I've been crashing a *lot* lately what with running around trick-or-treating in game, and that when I checked Task Manager it showed 64 bit IE running with 32 bit instances for each open web page, I used the link and installed java.

Now I'm getting the error message "Error: Registry key 'Software\JavaSoft\Java Runtime Environment'\CurrentVersion' has value '1.8', but '1.7' is required." with follow up messages of "Error: could not find java.dll" and "Error: Could not find Java SE Runtime Environment." when I try to start Istaria. What should I do to fix this? I got lost trying to follow the chat above.

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    ...For those that use Internet Explorer. There are actually two of them in Windows 7; a 32 bit and a 64 bit version. By default, I think the Blue "e" icon (for IE) is actually pointing to the 64 bit version. I manually change mine and use the 32 bit IE exclusively...
    This only works for IE8 and IE9, For IE10 and IE11, the 64bit process runs regardless of which copy you launch. Normally the first tab in IE is the 64bit process, each additional tab is 32bit, or the tab manager is the 64bit process, and the tabs themselves are 32bit. It changed a little bit from IE10 to IE11.

But normally as long as you got both the 32bit and 64bit java installed, most apps/webapps will work fine. When you come across a webpage that doesn't like 64bit, or doesn't seem to work correctly, try opening it in the 2nd tab.

A friend offered this advice, and it worked for me. :-)

First of all open the properties in your "iexplorer.exe" and select "Shortcut" tab
    In the Target Type: change to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
    Chances are you may only have to add (x86) after the program files on that line. be sure to leave a space between the "s" in files and the "("
    Start in: should stay same %HOMEDRIVE%HOMEPATH%
    Shortcut key: None
    Run: Normal Window

Uninstall Java and restart system.When system boots up then download java and install.

Why did I start getting this Webpage Error after going through reloading Java? Are they related?

Do you want to debug this webpage?
    This webpage contains errors that might prevent it from displaying or working correctly. If you are not testing this webpage, click No.

<further down>

Line: 81
    Error: NotSupportedError

Another question: what is nqefctdvis.exe *32, why is it running from the Oracle App directory, and how do I get rid of the 20 instances of it running with Description "Google Chrome"?
    Last edited by awdz; October 29th, 2014 at 11:42 PM.

Nothing about nqefctdvis.exe in google. Did you spell it correctly? By Oracle App directory, do you mean a folder named "Java". If you do have a folder with the name of Oracle, then you got something else installed. Maybe SDK?

Quote Originally Posted by Cegaiel View Post
    Nothing about nqefctdvis.exe in google. Did you spell it correctly? By Oracle App directory, do you mean a folder named "Java". If you do have a folder with the name of Oracle, then you got something else installed. Maybe SDK?
    Thank you for the reply. Got my IT support (hubby <3 ) to check it out, turns out I picked up a nasty virus somewhere. He got me all clean again and now I do not have that (correctly spelled) thing crapping up my computer.

Thread Information