Thread: We need the magic equivalent of dodge.

Kafka

Default We need the magic equivalent of dodge.

Well, the title really says it all.

Make it an ability spellcasters get at between 1-10 and make it masterable.

Secondly give classes an improved dodge/parry/block etc. that isnt masterable. The way I see it. The more proficient you get (lvl increase)the more opponents you should be able to handle at a time.
    Itgoes something like this:

Tier I (masterable) lvl 10ish: Works against one opponent.

Tier II (not Masterable) lvl 40ish: Works 100% against the opponent you're currently engaged. You incur a 20% penalty against one other mob.

Tier III (Not Masterable) lvl 80ish: Works 100% against the opponent you're currently engaged. You incur a 20% penalty againstanother mob,and incur a 40% decrease in your ability to parry/dodge etc. against a third mob.

Default Re: We need the magic equivalent of dodge.

[:|][I][Y]

The base concept is so simple and reasonable that I am stunned I can't recall 1 post every asking for it. For a better RP feel and reasons below I think a passive"turn spell" ability would be excellent. By that I don't mean 'reflect'; your magical pressence slightly re-directs the spell to make it miss.This would answer silly RP questionssuch as"how does one dodge a targeted instant like engulf or an AoE spell that hit the player standing next to you".

Intercept magic might stop being a bad joke and become an ability that non Fiend players keep on a hot bar. Call me crazy, but jumping in the way of a fire ball aimed at a char with 3X the protection and 25% more health than I has never felt like a good idea.Compared to a melee defend other that once intercepted might get blocked or parried; it seemed mages got shorted.

With the exception of giveing the original Imp Dodge back to pure monks; I can't get behind multiple attacker evasive abilities. How does one actively evade an attack that they never saw comeing? I do think that any type of 'defend other' deserves the same evasive opportunity as attacks from an actively engaged opponent, dodge only valid with distractfor obvious reasons.

The standard for dodge/parry/block is related skill vs attacker's skill is used to adjust a base 20% chance to evade, magicevasion for this. There are 3 basic types of magic; arcane ( flame, energy, ice, mind,summon ), mystic ( spirit, nature, life, blight ) and primal. For higher tiered non-masterable abilities I would go with an increased chance, but is only valid vs the type of magic that your current class has. Allowing mage to defend better vs magics hisclass is trained in, but not vs spirit or primal etc... Same concept could be applied to the melee evsive abilities as well.

**thinks of a comedy sketch in style of 'Monty Python's Quest for the Holy Grail' wher in a knight attempts to train new recruits to the King's guard in theuse ofdefensive melee techniques to protect the King from direct attack. One prefers to dodgerather thanblock or parry and doesn't understand what's wrong with dodgeing an interceted attack... [;)]**

I have dodged magical attacks before, so you do not need an equiliavent.

Improved dodge I think is only gained by monks, all casters would not get it. Dodge only works against one opponent and this tier system is absurdly overpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by AA0
    I have dodged magical attacks before, so you do not need an equiliavent.
    Improved dodge I think is only gained by monks, all casters would not get it. Dodge only works against one opponent and this tier system is absurdly overpowered.
    You have never 'dodged' a magic attack. Dodge does not work vs magic. You have evaded. Melee has evasion which works vs all opponents and up to 3 extra chances to evade ( dodge, block, parry ) the currently engaged foe, 2 effective vs ranged. Magic has zero extra chances to evade, justmagic evasion. There is a definate advantage on the melee end.
    Since the improved abilities were listed as non-masterable, it is quite absurd to think that Kafkameant for all casters to gain improved dodge as you stated. The improved ability was meant only for the classes that gained the original masterable ability. The 100% effective vs currently engaged opponent is simply 100% as effective as the original ability, not 100% of the time will they evade.[8-)]

I know for a fact that my spells have been Blocked by undead wielding shields (most notably during the quest to slay 100 reanimated healers, which all were undead dwarves equipped with shields and clubs). Though it would require further testing, I am inclided to believe spells can also be Dodged and Parried. So, just train 2 levels of monk to your caster and you should be all set to dodge spells and melee.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

Thread Information