Just for fun, I decided to write a journal logging Thelras' adventures. Feel free to read along!

Entry 1

I never gave much thought about keeping a journal, but it’s starting to seem like a good idea with so much happening all of the time. In the few moons I’ve been awake a lot has been going on and I should take the time to reflect on it, process it, learn from it. I’ll start with when I woke up from my long hibernation…

I can’t really recall the reason for my hibernation. The weeks leading up to that point are kind of hazy, but I don’t think anything of great importance happening beforehand. I just became exhausted, both mentally and physically and passed out! I’m not sure for how long I had slept, but it was a great while. I was covered in a very thick layer of dust when I woke up so it must’ve been ages it seemed. Mother wasn’t home when I came to, and the servants weren’t sure where she went exactly, so I decided to return to the outside world. I needed to get back into shape, feel the sun on my scales again and take in the fresh air, so I resumed training with the teachers of the dragon cities over the next few weeks.

I was surprised to find out how much I remembered; despite being asleep for so long it felt like I had been out just yesterday. Fighting the various creatures and monsters the teachers set me against were a moderate challenge, but nothing I couldn’t handle on my own. Though some would never admit it, I think they were impressed at the speed I progressed. It felt like my mind and body were trying to make up for all of that lost time and I just soaked up the knowledge and strength. I mastered technique after technique with ease. It was almost a little frightening.

Along the way I met a peculiar green hatchling by the name of Skali. Apparently he’s in training to be a portal technician or something like that. Anyway, we talked for a bit and he asked me what I was. At first I misunderstood him taking if for a more literal question, but I think it was more of a who I am sort of inquiry. For a long time I never really thought about who I am or what I’m doing, or rather I tried not to. I guess it’s something I’ve been afraid of because of where I came from.

My… creator’s shadow looms over me like a dark cloud that I can’t disperse; it’s inescapable. I remember the looks some of the others had given me a long time ago. Their eyes were filled with mistrust, hate even, and I never understood until I learned how I came to be. A part of me is afraid of turning into that monster even though I know it’s impossible. His soul is long gone and can't return to this body. But every time I see my reflection it reminds me that it’s not my own face but his. It’s a little easier now though; most don’t know who he was and so don’t recognize me.

But I can’t let that hold me back anymore. I have to accept that this is the body I have now and there’s little I can do about it. I need to move forward and forge my own path in this world. I’ve decided to make fighting the Aegis and cleansing the world my life’s mission. Even if I don’t live long enough to see the world purified, I want to be able to bring the Living Races at least a step closer to that goal. I also took on learning the art of rune casting in addition to my other lessons. It’s a very versatile form of magic and I can use it to amplify my own abilities. I’m going to need all the strength I can get.