Thread: Why dont tools have same color as they do in the icons/tools folder?

Default Why dont tools have same color as they do in the icons/tools folder?

Found what I assume is the icons game uses for tools in program files(x86)/Istaria/resources/interface/icons/tools

In the folder alot are red or blue or combo of red and blue, yet in game the show up just grey or a dull pewter/brownish color, whats up?

Smaug

Default Re: Why dont tools have same color as they do in the icons/tools folder?

I'm not sure how to explain how those .png are formatted (as I'm not 100% sure). But in the game's database, there is an option to assign a tint (color). The game then sees the tint assigned and the tool then gets that tint applied. So Bronze, Iron, Mithril, Cobalt, etc use the same generic icon, but when the tint is applied, it shows the correct color.

Tintable Icons are icons designed (predominantly) in red-scale colors that have a color map applied to them so that one icon can be used multiple times with multiple color maps to give different colored inventory icons.

Specifically for icons, a tint is applied to each color channel. The primary color channel for icons that use tinting is the Red channel, the secondary channel is Blue, and the tertiary channel is Green.

Those tints are in the /resources/textures/tints folder . They are .act binary files and I'm not sure how those work, either
    Last edited by Cegaiel; August 11th, 2015 at 12:30 AM.
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Default Re: Why dont tools have same color as they do in the icons/tools folder?

Ok i was able to change the dragon pointer icon for the map, changed color to orange to show up a bit better (for me at least), is there a way to change color of the tool icons? Tried same way I did with the map pointer icon but that didnt work very well. Game gave an error and crashed during login when I changed color of my masonary tool.

Smaug

It's not idea to try to create unique icons that have the red-scale. They get tint applied to them by the client, based on the settings in database.

Other icons don't get tint applied and just use whatever is in the icon, such as formula, dragon pointer, etc (what you see is what you get). I'm not sure how to alter a tool icon's color (because it gets a tint applied). ie not sure how to say what color an icon needs to be + tint applied by client to convert to the color you desire. Light red= more brown (or more blue)? not sure
    Death points are temporary, Glory is forever!
    Need game info? Try Istaria Reference or Istaria Lexica Wiki

Use a Weapon and Tool Dye Kit to color you tool
    Terao (Gnome, Grand Master Crafter, Order [Unity])|Draigourn (Ancient, Master Lairshaper, Lunus, Order)|Echentrial (Ancient, Lunus, Order)

Thx understand a lil better how it works now, won't try to modify the icon out of game. Reason was trying to create new icon was a lil more then just changing the color. Was trying to make them a lil easier to see on a hotkey. Some are very hard to tell what they are on a hotkey and was hoping could make them not only more colorful but a lil bigger. I'll give the dye job a chance.

Smaug

Trying to alter a single assets for the game is akin to Alchemy *winkwink*

It is a long, arcane process to decypher all the various files that reside all over the install path to replace something only to find out that one thing or another can't be changed because it is in the item's properties in the database and not adjustable on the client.

Editing assets and associated files has almost become a lost art in Istaria.

Thread Information