Thread: List item types a technique can be applied to in the technique description

Default List item types a technique can be applied to in the technique description

The way things are, there's no way to tell where you can apply a tech until you check the list on the item creation window on all your forms... which is both frustrating and confusing. You have to end up going through your list of forms, checking every single one of them to see whether or not you can technique it with the one(s) you want.

Dragons don't ever run into this issue except on very rare occasions where a tech conflicts with a scale's existing bonus. But bipeds are utterly plagued with this, every technique has its "do's and don'ts" for them with no real discernible pattern. How do you know where you can put a weaving technique? You don't! Just check every piece of equipment's form to see if you can apply it there.

Ideally, we would see something like these example descriptions on all techniques:

Craft: Smelting V

This technique gives the user the ability to create certain objects with an additional +20 to the Smelting trade skill.
    This technique can be applied to the following item types: tools, waist armor, hand armor, shoulder armor, leg armor, left-hand containers, necklaces, rings, dragon claws, and dragon scales.
    Conflicts with: smelting up

Statistic: Strength V

This technique gives the user the ability to create certain objects with an additional +20 to the Strength statistic.
    This technique can be applied to the following item types: weapons, tools, waist armor, head armor, back armor, leg armor, chest armor, forearm armor, shields, left-hand containers, earrings, necklaces, dragon claws, dragon scales.
    Conflicts with: strength up

With the above implemented on every technique, it would remove a lot of time and confusion in crafting a full set of something with technique X. You'd know exactly where you can apply the techniques you want and the list of conflicts would tell you that for example, you can't make strength scales with a strength technique before you mistakenly try that.

Default Re: List item types a technique can be applied to in the technique description

Get HCC, I use it all the time. http://www.istaria.info/hcc-installation. Just follow the instructions, Cegaiel keeps it up to date. Current update is 2015-09-05.
    Dacurly Dac : Phoenix Fellowship Guild : Chaos Server
    http://phoenixfellowship.clanz.co/

Default Re: List item types a technique can be applied to in the technique description

Quote Originally Posted by Dacurly View Post
    Get HCC, I use it all the time. http://www.istaria.info/hcc-installation. Just follow the instructions, Cegaiel keeps it up to date. Current update is 2015-09-05.
    Whilst that is a get around we shouldn't have to use an outside program for something so basic. I am with Mach on this something needs doing to simplify it.
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

I think the suggestion isn't a bad one. If there is space for the text, go ahead and enhance the descriptions of techniques.

However, I was going to recommend HCC as well. Thing is, it's still a pain to come up with a plan if you are say making some crafting gear, since you still have to go into your knowledge book, hover over all the techs, to find out where they go, then plan out which to put where since you can only put so many techs per piece. Still have to get almost into the crafting window anyway.. It's still.. messy. Now as far as HCC goes, granted it is far from ideal to have to go into an external program for the information. And new players may not have any idea about it, where to get it, etc.

So I think the best solution to making sets of gear easier, would be to somehow build the HCC into the game' client, or include it even if it's a separate executable. Perhaps it could be launched from within the help page, or even a link in the knowledgebook to the external executable. Also add another tab to the games' "Notepad" feature called HCC list, and give the HCC client the ability to export a list of comps and gear pieces with each tech the player has planned to place on it, into the in-game Notepad on that extra tab. (Append to the front of the text file if text is already present, don't overwrite, and make the tab shared among all toons).

It might also help if say a hovering graphic of the equipment window, with all the applicable slots highlighted that the tech can apply to, would show up in addition to the description.

All that might take time or not be feasible for whatever reason.. but the extra description wouldn't hurt if it can be done. I remember being a little hatchy and finding a flame tech for sale on consigner. I bought it hoping to add flame damage to my prime bolt, only to discover it wouldn't go. And didn't fully figure it out until finding a flame bolt form, scribing that, making the spell, only to find I can't even use it since I am a Dragon (That was a looong time ago)

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    I remember being a little hatchy and finding a flame tech for sale on consigner. I bought it hoping to add flame damage to my prime bolt, only to discover it wouldn't go. And didn't fully figure it out until finding a flame bolt form, scribing that, making the spell, only to find I can't even use it since I am a Dragon (That was a looong time ago)
    Don't lie Guaran it was last week I saw you do it... JK
    Gwain Drago - Mystic Paladin
    Arzel - Knight of creation/Battlemage
    Aurakvoar - Ancient Lunus

Thread Information