Thread: Pawnbrokers

Kemekien

Default Pawnbrokers

Pawnbrokers are rather ridiculous in their prices. I believe they sell their wares 25 times the price they buy it from you? I don't think this would work in the real world.

Default Re: Pawnbrokers

That's why people don't buy from pawnies unless they're in a terrible bind - and since there are so many more people post-merge, that likely won't happen that often, if ever.

Beyond that, the pawnbrokers are primarily designed to sell things to. While they do also add the function of adding a soft "upper limit" to basic, non-teched items, that's really not their focus.

It's connies that should be utilized for buying from NPCs. And as always, the Marketplace channel is always bubbling over with more than enough people to usually make what you need.
    Dalthbar Bruisebringer
    Order [Spirit] Shard
    Mystic Blades

81 Fitter
    65 Spearman
    (plus a lot more)

And their stuff, except for base stock, does not stay there long at all
    16 100 crafting classes....getting closer

Acually, in the real world, theres real "pawn shops". Some deal more in illegal buisiness and some are completely legit. Let's say you had an emergency and an unexpected bill to pay, you have some jewlery, stereo equipment ect worth some money.. you bring it to the guy running the shop "the broker" and he buys it, turns around and sells it for much much more than he bought it :)

Your right though about them being expensive, and if we didn't have a "player" driven economy it would be completely different but luckily we have crafters and cosigners.

Something that would be nice to see is some basic items sold by an NPC (NO TECHED ITEMS). Every so often his inventory would refresh and be completely random. It would still be a little more than a crafter might charge for a basic item, but that way when a crafter can not be found (or perhaps one that doesnt have the formula you need) you have a chance to find the equipment.

While we are on the topic of pawnbrokers, does anyone know what percentage the Racial city pawnbrokers offer compared to the various rates of the Tiered pawnbroker buildings we can build?
    Neon Burnblade
    Bitter ex-top-jeweler of Expanse (for a few weeks in 2004 anyway)
    --------------------------------------------------
    If anyone is interested in EQ2, look me up as Iridi on the Unrest server. Gronar and Hellga are on as well!

imported_Magnus_P_Up

It is my impression that the city pawnbrokers are the equivalent of a tier IV. I haven't sold to each recently, but I don't think they're tiered to their cities.

As I recall, the standard pawnbrokers give 20% of the "true price", as do the tier IV pawns we can build. That is they buy at one fifth price and sell at five times price, for a difference of 25 times between buy and sell. That may seem like a huge range, but since it pretty much sets the limits on the prices of player to player transactions, that may be a good thing. It give the player economy a lot of room to work in. Why would anyone sell something for less than the pawn broker would give them, or buy at higher than they could possibly find it on pawn.

Tier VI pawns are suppose to give 25% as their buy rate, a quarter of the "true price". That means their buy prices will be 25% higher than regular pawns. I wonder if their sell rate will be 20% lower for a 16:1 ratio.
    Ikfel the Crafty Dwarf
    Level 100 Blacksmith, Mason, Miner, Scholar, and Outfitter

Thread Information