Thread: Olive Trees

Default Olive Trees

We could use some Olive Trees to make our own EVOO (extra virgin olive oil) - well, you know that I mean just Olive oil, rather than having to buy it.
    Oh, and cocoa bean trees while your at it too please?

Default Re: Olive Trees

Guess I will reply to my own post .
    Just thinking out loud devs, you know there is not really the player base to sell the food to that makes up for the coin drain to buy the stuffs .
    So, you could take out the clay - not needed anymore - put in some olive trees, cocoa bean trees, and come to think of it, a couple of 'rare' bee hives would be fantastic!
    Tel

I would be in favor of providing some other source for confectioner items currently purchased.

Olive trees could be rare and in only a few spots. Of course this would take some new model to be made. That might not be available to be done with dev art team. The gain might not be worth the effort. If that was the conclusion, lowering the cost of the purchased items would be a good solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    I would be in favor of providing some other source for confectioner items currently purchased.

Olive trees could be rare and in only a few spots. Of course this would take some new model to be made. That might not be available to be done with dev art team. The gain might not be worth the effort. If that was the conclusion, lowering the cost of the purchased items would be a good solution.
    I'm sure there's a model ingame (or at the very least in the files) that can be used as an olive tree with a slight retexture here or there, maybe some scaling, caco bean is a bit more specific though...

I'll actually try and make a texture for the olive trees, see if anything can be sent in that way.

Telshyia-clay is used in making key molds,for keys. its also used in some old confectioner formulas,if player has those he/she can still make old foods.

____________________Never forget to appreciate each other and stay UNITED!____________________

The 10 purchased resources, of which olive oil is one, for Confectioner are there to provide a money sink for the system.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    The 10 purchased resources, of which olive oil is one, for Confectioner are there to provide a money sink for the system.
    hmmm, how about making some (not all) available as rare resources in the field, or highly protected? and keeping them available for purchase too, it would still keep the money sink use as people would have to choose: Risk a deathpoint, or use some coin?

Quote Originally Posted by meepsa View Post
    hmmm, how about making some (not all) available as rare resources in the field, or highly protected? and keeping them available for purchase too, it would still keep the money sink use as people would have to choose: Risk a deathpoint, or use some coin?
    Kind of defeats the purpose of a money sink, doesn't it?
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

yeah.. I knew that the point was to make a money sink. But what ultimately happens, is that players are often unwilling to pay a higher price for meal X, when meal Y costs less (that didn't need anything purchased to create). The confectioner simply adjusts their production and starts leaving out the foods based on the money sink ingredients. So in that respect, the money sink isn't really working anyway.

The only solutions to that I can think of is either

1) provide a significant improvement, say 25% or more, to the dp time reduction for those foods requiring purchased ingredients, compared to the other foods of the same tier that do not use purchased ingredients.
    or
    2) add a purchased component to all foods, which would level the playing field.

I am more in favor of #1, it should increase the use of the money sink foods, as well as also providing tangible benefits to the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    The only solutions to that I can think of is either

1) provide a significant improvement, say 25% or more, to the dp time reduction for those foods requiring purchased ingredients, compared to the other foods of the same tier that do not use purchased ingredients.
    or
    2) add a purchased component to all foods, which would level the playing field.

I am more in favor of #1, it should increase the use of the money sink foods, as well as also providing tangible benefits to the players.
    There's foods with more than one purchased component too, should those get a larger boost? Rare foods with purchased ingredients exist as well, should they get a boost in addition to them already having a larger reduction as a rare food? And then there's foods that don't take away death points at all but provide buffs (festival foods) that require purchased things, how would those get handled? :P

As someone who's actually looked through all the food formulas, I can say it'd be a monstrous task to go through each of them, figure out which ones need a boost or which ones need a purchased component and change all of that. Granted it IS annoying to have to buy things when you're of a mind to make some food... I would like to not have to buy things to make something particularly tasty but I can understand why you have to.

Maybe some repeatable confectioner quests that give some of those ingredients away free on completion? "Restock the (city) Militia's stores with X, Y, and Z and return to (local Town Marshall) for your payment."

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

Thread Information