Thread: Different dragon claws for different damage.

Default Different dragon claws for different damage.

I know there are the crystals, but it would be nice to have more things to choose from.
    It would be interesting to have different claws that can do crush/pierce/ice/fire/energy/mind damage.
    Perhaps wing & tail scales that also gives different damage.
    100 / 100 / 100 / 100 Lunus
    "Mythclaws" Saris

Default Re: Different dragon claws for different damage.

I probably would agree on having elements on claws but as a price restrict you on using damage crystals. Weapon enchantments buffs like Flame attack will still change your element. I disagreed on the wings and tail because that might confuse the game on what element you're exactly using plus we need some kind of balance of trading your epic for elemental weakness.

We already have that. The blighted claws, which are craftable, can come in versions that convert damage. Blight striking, Ice striking, Flame Striking, Silver Damage, Crush damage, I think even Mind damage. Pretty much all the damage types and then some.

I have examples of all of those.

Its already been said but -

We have blighted claws, crystals, and elemental attacks. I don't think we need anything more, imo.

Blighted claws are rarely used save for exceptional circumstances for the obvious possible drawbacks, crystals cover all damage types (afaik - correct me if i'm wrong!) and carry the additional bonus of taking effect on spells for the cost of additional weakness and need for crafting (but honestly - i don't think that's too much of a drawback. gives dragons something to do and they're massively useful) and the biped elemental attacks which have a drawback of being limited to 3 attack types.

Having claws or what have you of different damage types would make dragons overpowered, imo.
    Mobs mobs are particularly resistant to some types of damage and also weak to some types.
    Dragons have primal attack, and primal damage is near neutral to most mobs - it is a damage type that very few mobs resist, but also very few mobs are weak to it. This gives dragons an element of balance - if we could freely change our damage type with no drawbacks then we could just change damage type to whatever a mob is weak to at any moment, even in the middle of a fight, thus it would make dragons incredibly powerful unless a large cost is associated.

So i think crystals already do what you're asking - a change of damage type with a cost needed for balance.

I agree that elements might not be the best idea, but what are people's opinions on things like Piercing and Crushing claws (yes, I know they're claws which are meant to slash, but imagine a bulkier claw being used for crushing damage more so than slashing, or spiky (spikier or sharper I guess) claws meant to be used to pierce body parts)? might be a fun thing to think about.

The elemental/magical damage converters are already well-represented in crystalshaper damage crystals, blighted claws, and "attack spells." I do agree with Meeps though, there could be some crush and pierce converters out there, if not crush/pierce claw types. I'd love to see some of the weapon crystals that convert to crush/slash/pierce brought back.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

I know this idea would require some work.
    As a crafter it would be something different to make.
    It would also be fun to have and use something like these in combat.

1) "Trident claw formula" (Or what ever name you like)
    There are Tier I-V versions of this formula.
    "It resembles Neptune's spear tip molded to a dragon claw."

2) "Crushing claw formula" (Or what ever sounds good)
    "It resembles the head of a war hammer crafted to a dragon claw"
    "Mythclaws" Saris

Quote Originally Posted by Drakarius Shadows View Post
    I know this idea would require some work.
    As a crafter it would be something different to make.
    It would also be fun to have and use something like these in combat.

1) "Trident claw formula" (Or what ever name you like)
    "It resembles Neptune's spear tip molded to a dragon claw."

2) "Crushing claw formula" (Or what ever sounds good)
    "It resembles the head of a war hammer crafted to a dragon claw"
    I was thinking, seeing as the Slash variants are gem-tipped, perhaps the crush variant could be stone, and pierce...unfocused azulyte? wouldn't want to lock it behind CRSH or LSH by requiring crystalshaping.. the only downside is that there can't be the gajillion variants that the gem tipped currently have (most of which I know a majority don't even craft) because there's simply not that many different types of material. perhaps it could be organised in a different way with density.

ie. the lower ones are of low density and require less material, but the higher one (think spiked malachite for lvl...17 I think), as an example, would be a Dense Sandstone Tipped (laced, inlaid, or whatever is more appropriate) Claw. and require far more materials than the lower ones?

I am just looking for something to add some spice to crafting and hunting.
    As far as the crafting of the item,
    Using existing claw formulas and trading out the gems for azulyte for and requiring slightly more materials could be one way of doing it.
    "Mythclaws" Saris

Just find the Expert Blighted Gem Tipped Dragon Claw formula (drop only), and start crafting blighted claws.

Everything being suggested can occur on a blighted claw.

The result is random, but there are some good effects you can come across, such as +extra flame damage, ala the original version of the flame damage tech, convert damage to crush, convert damage to mind, chance for 200% damage, chance to land ethereal paroxysm, all kinds of interesting things. Drunken stupor... Granted they are 95% of the time, not that good. I usually keep a couple out of each batch of 100 claws though.

So I would need to finding a 0.05% drop formula to craft a 1% chance item?
    Wow that sounds like a lot of fun, too bad I no longer have 8+hrs every day to play.
    "Mythclaws" Saris

It's entirely optional. There is no need to do it. But it's there if you wish to do it.

As the devs to increese the drop chance then.
    When the time to eat a knight is to Roast them till there ready as COOKED spam...
    What can i say? im a Classic dragon looking for a free easy meal?
    Or facing my family... Isent always a Wise decision..

Quote Originally Posted by ArchDemon View Post
    As the devs to increese the drop chance then.
    Your perception of the drop rate might be misled by the fact that the (expert) blighted forms drop from the Satyr isles, rather than from every undead mob.

that being said, there are a few mobs here and there that also can drop them.
    Last edited by Liseth; May 7th, 2016 at 10:50 AM.
    Oooooh, what does this button do?

Quote Originally Posted by Guaran View Post
    Just find the Expert Blighted Gem Tipped Dragon Claw formula (drop only), and start crafting blighted claws.

Everything being suggested can occur on a blighted claw.
    Not that I'm attacking you or anything, but I don't see how helpful that comment was... other than someone sounding like they are saying... 'quit being lazy and start grinding'.

That's hardly helpful for someone like me who only gets around like... two hours of play time total a day. Having a closed mind isn't going to help much...

Some of the suggestions here are actually interesting to look at and I would support some of them

Granted, everything suggested CAN be found on a blight claw, they are also:

1: exceptionally difficult to craft, requiring MASSIVE amounts of resources

2: exceedingly random in everything they generate, so you can't predict what's going to happen

3: more often than not, a blighted claw has just as many disadvantages to it as opposed to positives, of course, being blighted, that's understandable, but it makes them quite frustrating to craft.

As an anecdote... a friend and I once stocked up several Tier II silos with the resources to make blighted claws and of the 100 or so claws we made... only about 5 rolled with 'keep-worthy' attributes. That's less than a 10% chance to get what you are looking for.

It can't hurt to look into new formulas to develop new combat claws, besides, dragons don't really run into the problem with 'maxing out' their formula book that bipeds do. We could use with a few more formulas.

Telling people to 'just hunt up the blighted claw formula, everything asked for is on a blighted claw' isn't very constructive criticism.

Ri'ta'ra'thi Is'mi'nei: Season 100 ADV/100 CRA/100 BLK(former)/100 LSH/ 1.11 BILLION hoard
    Kytitia Pyrrithia: Unparalleled Rating 212 Saris Sorceror, Rating 234 Crafter

Quote Originally Posted by Litarath View Post
    Not that I'm attacking you or anything, but I don't see how helpful that comment was... other than someone sounding like they are saying... 'quit being lazy and start grinding'.
    No one said that as far as I can see.

That's hardly helpful for someone like me who only gets around like... two hours of play time total a day. Having a closed mind isn't going to help much...
    2 hours a day is actually pretty good. You can get a lot done in that time.

It can't hurt to look into new formulas to develop new combat claws, besides, dragons don't really run into the problem with 'maxing out' their formula book that bipeds do. We could use with a few more formulas.
    Ideas are always worth discussing. It doesn't mean we all will agree or disagree with any one thing.

As far as making a formula for a claw that does crush damage... I do not really see what it brings to the game. We have plenty enough damage converters.

Telling people to 'just hunt up the blighted claw formula, everything asked for is on a blighted claw' isn't very constructive criticism.
    That wasn't criticism.

Thread Information