Thread: Why not merge the EU shards and be hosted in a new shard in the US?

Default Why not merge the EU shards and be hosted in a new shard in the US?

Then finally we all NA and EU players can play together on the NA shard of choice,
    which was a big issue long time ago.

ofcourse then a new shard has to be created also. 3 shards is np to host in NA I think.

Ofcourse this means they have to move quick before all plots are auctioned and will give some issues with already given NA guildplots on order and chaos for the EU guilds that want to go there.

But creating a few new guildplots is probably necessary already since I think there are not enough guildplots seen the bidding here on ICE shard.

And we all get the patches as soon as they are ready,
    instead of EU being behind.
    (This also could be a big reason to not want it.. I know I know!!)

greetz,
    Rhialto,
    100CHSW/100WIZ/100CON/100CLRC
    The Iron Watch
    Ice Server

Syrith_Ice

Default Re: Why not merge the EU shards and be hosted in a new shard in the US?

nice idea [:)]

Tho I can't see it happening

bigswifty

the major drawback besides what I assumeare issues involving maintaining region specific account servers would be the connection lag across the transatlantic backbones.

in NA you might have a 70-125 msping time while the player in EU might be seeing as high as 200-500ms ping times connecting to thatNA server during peak traffic times.

it's a thought.

I've played as an EU player on AC1 servers in the US and had pings of around 300-500ms routinely. Most US players had considerably better performance (although some had worse). This makes a very big difference when playing in a large group or when there are a lot of mobs around.

When I played in UO on US shards I had similar ping times (300-500ms) that went down to 90-120ms times when I moved to an EUshard. The game changed completely for me then. I even managed to kill someone that attacked me once- normally I was just cannon fodder for the 'reds'. ;)

It would be great to allow NA/EU players to play together, but I don't think it's a practical proposition.
    Felice TINK 100 / GTH 96 / MIN 81 / Adv gimp
    Shredder T4 Spellcrafter
    Wind Server

Thread Information