Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portal Changes

Default Portal Changes

can anyone elaberate? Not sure what needs curing here:
    • More Menders have appeared in capital cities around istaria, and now offer a curing service free of charge.

This....seems like the wrong thread, but I'll answer it, Menders cure the 1h long poisons as well as sell antidotes and cure poison spells based on their tier location. -Liseth
    Last edited by Liseth; March 25th, 2017 at 10:21 AM.

Default Re: Blight Delta 295

Something that concerns me greatly with this delta is the fact the portals are changed. Why is it that Parsinia only has one port now, to Kion? And why does Tishlar only lead to Bristugo? Drift Point is unaffected, but I'm seeing a pattern here. Please don't tell me the portals are only leading to cities. This is a VERY bad idea.
    "Normality is a paved road. It's comfortable to walk on, but no flowers grow on it." - Vincent Van Gogh

I'm wondering the same as Theeda. I really hope this is some mistake, or the game got a heck more tedious when it comes to travelling these vast areas. If intended, it makes these steps very unnecessary. I can only imagine trying to craft any sort amount of materials to bring to a player made plot. I'd have to drag everything to the portal, port to a hub, then port again to the settlement. Why add this step and what purpose does this serve?

With the change to portals here... why is this necessary? This isn't wanted. This isn't needed. This isn't an improvement. What does this add other than an extra annoying step to getting from A to B?!?
    Especially with a full disk... yeah I'd love to pay to port... twice just to get from settlement A to settlement B.

Istara's Chosen Guildmaster
    Experienced Hunter, Healer, and Grand Master Crafter

(Since I noticed this only after 30 minutes on the previous post passed...)

Additionally, the Lesser Aradoth Region ports of Parsinia and Lower/Upper Bridgeview and Kirasanct Region port of Frostwatch... why are they moved out of Settlements? Are we going to shove EVERYTHING into the Outlands portal in Bristugo now? Why??? What purpose does this serve?

I can handle attunements to literally every location... do it once and it's done. Fine, go ahead and do that.... But re-assigning all the portal destinations like this is entirely unnecessary, confusing, and annoying. At this rate, I'm sure Bristugo will be the ONLY place to port to anywhere in the next year or so...

Hell you can't even get from Kion to Parsinia!!!! Now how do you expect people to do Kion quests effectively? You'd have to go from Kion to Bristugo to Parsinia and back to Kion just to do ONE quest from Gerix that sends you out to the area around Parsinia. That's unacceptable!
    Last edited by Machaeon; March 25th, 2017 at 04:40 AM.

Unacceptable!!
    I sign all what Mach said!

As I already wrote in my ticket,
    that portal changes will annoy more people than you might guess.
    And yes- people will quit due to that.
    Thats at least what I heard.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

We're not done with it, but the goal is to remove situations like Parsinia in which you can't even reach other towns on the same region from a portal. Sure, its great if you are a vet, but if you are new player the old portal system was dumb and not very intuitive.

What we're leaning towards, and I acknowledge we're not there yet, is a format where:

1) All portals in a region can reach any other portal in a region. Think Lesser Aradoth or Dalimond Peninsula.
    2) All portals in a region can reach a hub (Genevia, Bristugo, or future hubs).

Oh, and I also recognize the renaming aspect. We're considering what to do with that as well cause we want them organized by region but also we recognize the need to sort them by name.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

(ha Amon- what do you know bout being a vet ? *leans on her purple dragon walking- stick- stretching the old bones*
    vets need short ways and easy -to- remember-signs and indications!
    Btw- what are we discussing here?? I forgot^^ )

Thy for answering so fast, Amon.

Not everything what is old- is automatically out dated (or even dump).
    Like it happened with the name changes of the mobs e.g. (Thank- Nagh-whatsoevers)
    vets will need a while to explain to new or returning players how to reach X- or how to come from Y to Z.

Istaria needs a future- and the game should surley not "orbit" the vet players..
    *shrugs* difficult to decide.
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Quote Originally Posted by AmonGwareth View Post
    the old portal system was dumb and not very intuitive.
    How so? You can use most portals to get most places... I don't see that as dumb or unintuitive honestly... If a settlement has an outgoing portal, you can get to all the cities and all the other settlements. If a guild location has an outgoing portal, you can get to all the cities and all the guild locations. And the guild and settlement portals in cities will send you to all the guilds and settlements.

What does adding unnecessary steps in porting around give the player base? I honestly don't see any benefit.

Example:

Let's say I want to build some t1 structures on a plot in a settlement. Nuthala/Parsinia is generally one of the best spots to go to for that. I am no longer bound to Kion because I've long since moved on from the Lesser Aradoth content (bound to Genevia for the easy portal access).

To get those structures built, (in the Regional portal system) I would have to port from Genevia --> Kion --> Parsinia --> gather/craft --> Parsinia --> Kion --> (Bristugo???) --> plot location

Compared to the current system of: Genevia --> Parsinia --> gather/craft --> Parsinia --> plot location

Please explain how that's more intuitive than the current system.

What we're leaning towards, and I acknowledge we're not there yet, is a format where:

1) All portals in a region can reach any other portal in a region. Think Lesser Aradoth or Dalimond Peninsula.

Oh, and I also recognize the renaming aspect. We're considering what to do with that as well cause we want them organized by region but also we recognize the need to sort them by name.
    What does adding specific regions do? It's not like the world map is divided into distinct regions that make geographic sense, the cities are not central hubs where settlements and guild locations radiate from, settlements are pretty evenly distributed around the map without any regard for cities... so why treat the cities as regional hubs?

Default Re: Portal Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Malicore View Post
    can anyone elaberate? Not sure what needs curing here:
    • More Menders have appeared in capital cities around istaria, and now offer a curing service free of charge.

This....seems like the wrong thread, but I'll answer it, Menders cure the 1h long poisons as well as sell antidotes and cure poison spells based on their tier location. -Liseth
    Thanks for the reply, though I do not know how, or why my post was moved to Portal changes. it was nothing to do with portals. I posted under delta 295.. maybe a dev grabbed mine alone with the portal posts, by accident?

Anyway, so you folks added the ability to make poison cure spells, and potions.. now you make them virtually unnecessary (facepalm)

I cannot find ways to convert your post back to the delta 295 so I will continue answering in this fashion. Menders will only cure you if you talk with them, and unlike the cure poison spells and antidotes, you do not gain immunity for a certain amount of time, they mostly function as a means of getting the formulas without having to run all the way to Delgerath or having someone buy the formula for you. You either spend quite the sum of coin getting premade antidotes or unteched spells, or you buy the somewhat more expensive formulas and make sure you're prepared, or you don't spend a single coin and run back and forth between the field and the mender every time you get poisoned. -Liseth
    Last edited by Liseth; March 25th, 2017 at 04:09 PM.

...the goal is to remove situations like Parsinia in which you can't even reach other towns on the same region from a portal. Sure, its great if you are a vet, but if you are new player the old portal system was dumb and not very intuitive.
    Isn't THIS:
    Quote Originally Posted by Machaeon View Post
    ...Hell you can't even get from Kion to Parsinia!!!! Now how do you expect people to do Kion quests effectively? You'd have to go from Kion to Bristugo to Parsinia and back to Kion just to do ONE quest from Gerix that sends you out to the area around Parsinia. That's unacceptable!
    The exact opposite effect of what you want then?
    Sorry if i'm dumb and what mach said is unitentional but uhhh...making everything through the portal hubs just makes it harder to go around from what i can see? Having to port an extra port for most of the places I want to go to just makes portals a huge PITA.

Newbs either: explore (and generally have fun doing so) if they get lost and eventually ask in chat channels. Look on the map for places they need to go, find the nearest place with a portal (settlement/guild/dali peninsula place etc) and because you can access all settlements from settlements etc it's usually not hard to find the portal to take you there - i see MORE people lost in portal hubs than outside of portal hubs because of too-many-portals in the hubs and with the additional frustration of an extra pointless port. Or they find an individual port that the quest tells them to go to, which once again is EASIER with all settlements on all settlement portals and all guilds on all guild protal and so on.

I don't see how this makes it easier for newbs? It jsut makes it harder for newbs and vets. :/ And on that tone also, i've never really seen a newb confused by the portal system or the list of unavailable locations/places they've never been to? Most newbs i see just follow their quests and use the above methods to find places and you tend to learn the entire region by 100 anyway.

2) i've already gone over above (having to go an extra port through hubs is a pain in the backside + more complicated for newbs/old alike than if it wasn't that way) - Not that it shouldn't be an option but making it the ONLY option is a bad idea.

As for 1) - dali peninsula ports should be an easy enough fix. Just add the dalimond peninsula group to all t2 portals. Same with t3 ports and t3 portals - just add the Tazoon Region portal group to all t3 potals. Everything else is currently accounted for the way it is right now. You CAN reach all of lesser aradoth through all lesser aradoth portals. You CAN reach all of kira + mahagra tundra through all t3/t4 portals. I don't see the issue? The only reason this got any worse in recent years was beacause someone decided to take away the tazoon region portal group and put it ONLY on an outlands portal in bristugo.
    Last edited by Azath; March 25th, 2017 at 04:10 PM.

Thanks for the response. I'll quit posting on this thread now, because it doesn't really belong here and making you go out of your way.

If anything, it just adds to the confusion for a new player. I saw nothing wrong with the old portal system. My friend recently started playing about 2 weeks ago, maybe a little longer and not once did I have to explain the system to her, she was easily able to find her way on her own. Now with this new system, I can only see her getting tangled on where to go now that most of the portals would be a one way. Plus I physically cringe thinking about having to go through so many loading windows while crafting and playing crash roulette, not to mention the nearly doubled time it would take to actually get to the area I want.

It depends which server board I think is which.

A video demonstrating travel times if you're going to get T1 things from Nuthala (which i represent by staring off in that direction) for my lair in Harro, starting from my lair.

Harro -> Bristugo -> Parsinia -> Kion -> Bristugo -> Harro

For those that don't want to watch:
    Current System: 1 minute, 24 seconds, 23 miliseconds

New system: 2 minutes, 29 seconds, 29 miliseconds. Shave off 5 or so seconds for the few times I goofed up (walked towards the wrong kion portal, stared at the portal in thought, didn't move immediately in Bris)

149 seconds vs 84 seconds. 77% increase in travel (without shaving off 5 seconds but it's close regardless)

If Parsinia went straight to Bristugo -

Harro -> Bristugo -> Parsinia -> Bristugo -> Harro

It shaves off 26 seconds, so the new timing would be 2 minutes, 3 seconds, 29 miliseconds of travel. This is still 39 seconds longer than current, over 40% increase in travel (123 seconds vs 84 seconds).
    Last edited by Racktor; March 25th, 2017 at 06:05 PM.

This could be an idea: Add a new column to the portal table, listing the region. Then, make the columns (location name, region, availability) sortable. So everyone has the choice to either sort the list for region, or for the location name. Both, new players and veterans do benefit there.

------------------
    Istaria Lexica | Istaria Reference

Quote Originally Posted by Racktor View Post
    A video demonstrating travel times if you're going to get T1 things from Nuthala (which i represent by staring off in that direction) for my lair in Harro, starting from my lair.

Nice demo, Thanks Racktor.

Things that may seem good on paper, or behind the scenes, are not always the best way things should be done. You folks have done a grand job at keeping the game going, nice new entries and remakes lately. but there's some things that are more of a hinderance, than helpful.

It depends which server board I think is which.

No problem and well said, Mali.

I personally really like Elteria's idea if it's at all possible. It keeps things organised and helpful, but also doesn't restrict access to the rest of the world. A newbie will see "Oh, Lesser Aradoth Region" and stick to there, while an older player will look for other regions to zip out to.

I really do not like the idea of constricting the world when many players rely on the interconnectivity of it. If new players kept getting lost in the portal system, then yes, I would be in favor of adjusting it, but there is no evidence that they are.

For the next update: "Teleport Pads and Gates that previously allowed access to the “Settlements and Shepherd’s Island” group will once again allow access." This does not alter the spoke pattern, that remains in place, but these pads/gates will have their original functionality in addition to the spoke.
    "Alea iacta est" -- Julius Caesar

Toot shouted, voice shrill, "In the name of the Pizza Lord! Charge!" (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files)

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will spends it whole life believing that it is stupid." -- Albert Einstein

Wow, sure a lot of strong reactions.. Amon said it was a work in progress, we could give them the benefit of the doubt until it's finished.. Guess I will poke the wasp nest also.

I have a 2 part suggestion.

First. The destination names on the portals aren't exactly alphabetical because we see this:
    Abandonded Island
    Dalimond Peninsula: Central Valley
    Dalimond Peninsula: Heart
    Dalimond Peninsula: King's Cross
    Dalimond Peninsula: Observatory
    Dalimond Peninsula: Pleasant Canyon
    Dalimond Peninsula: Sable Shore
    Dalimond Peninsula: Slate Crest
    Dalimond Peninsula: Spire's Apex
    Dalimond Peninsula: Spire's Gate
    Dalimond Peninsula: Spire's Trail
    Delgarath
    Eastern Outpost
    Tazoon Region: Aubador
    Tazoon Region: Desert's Edge
    Tazoon Region: Dryart
    Tazoon Region: Heather
    Tazoon Region: Sanctuary Bay
    Tazoon Region: Tishlar
    Tazoon Region: Tower of Healing
    Winter Vale

-Or-
    Settlement: Aiya
    Settlment: Blizzard's Reach
    Settlement: Summit
    Shepherd's Mountain: Fairweather
    etc..

So I want to port to Heather. It used to be on the nw bristugo ring, the old primary ring. I recall to Bristugo... Now,was Heather a Settlement? Some other Region... was it one of those with now Zone description in the front...?? I have to check two or three rings before I find it.

So, the first suggestion is to put the Zone Destination AFTER the location name: And probably best to just add a column for these:
    Destination...................Region.............. .......Cost (Had to use dots instead of spaces thanks to crummy formatting by Forum ugh)
    Abandonded Island.......................................Free
    Aubador........................Tazoon Region..........Free
    Central Valley................Dalimond Peninsula...Free
    Desert's Edge................Tazoon Region..........Free
    Dryart...........................Tazoon Region..........Free
    Heart............................Dalimond Peninsula...Free
    Heather.........................Tazoon Region..........Free
    King's Cross...................Dalimond Peninsula...Free
    and so on. Much easier to find where I want to go, without looking thru multiple sections of alphabetical subgroups...
    We should be able to click on the Region column heading, to sort by Region if we wish, which would then group all the regions together. The main cities could use a Region called "Cities", or be aligned into the Regions as it appears they are starting to move towards, which honestly makes more sense. So Kion would be "Lesser Aradoth", New Rachival would be "Tazoon Region", etc. And the remaining currently unspecific destinations like Delgarath can all be under "Aradoth" where applicable, and some leftovers could be "Islands" which would work for Abandonded Island, Isle of Ice Expedition Camp, etc. Guilds would still be listed as "Guild", but could have the name expanded to also reflect the region. Example would be Clearport Guild(Saritova) where Saritova is the Island or Region name that applies. Another: Sakon Guild(The Three Sisters), or they could be the specific Island name: Sakon Guild(Xariz Isle). Sorting by Region would group all the Guilds together yet still provide region information as well. Which is far more logical than what we have with Guilds all on one ring, but are spread all over the whole of Istaria.

*** One ring to rule them all...

Second half of the suggestion: Get rid of all the extra portal rings that are divided 'mostly' into regions, but some have settlements, which are in all regions.., guilds, which are in all regions.. which is totally confusing.

So in Bristugo, and Genevia, do the single Superportal (tm) Ring, scale one up 1.3x, put all the current Genevia hub destinations on a single outgoing ring (for Genevia), with the above suggestion in place for the names and regions being in separate columns. SOO MUCH SIMPLER! I go up to one Ring, One! Find where I want to go alphabetically, and I don't have to remember if it's a settlement, is it on Scorpion Island or Genevia? OMG yes!

Do the destination listing groups in all the cities too, that had a second, ugly, unecessary portal ring added... get rid of the extra rings, put all the intended destinations on the original single ring those places originally had.

I'm not sure why the destinations had to be split out into multiple rings to begin with... whether it was just an attempt to organize destinations.. if the client couldn't handle it.. but it's time to get rid of all the excess rings. It will be fine if the region type descriptions is in its' own column, and we can sort them by that if we want, or just look at it all alphabetically, which is far more intuitive.
    As for the changes to destinations like Parsinias' ring, I would hope that once they can get to it, that some reasonable selection of destinations would be listed there. Guilds, Settlements, Hubs (Genevia, Bristugo), Lesser Aradoth. Whatever is intended, which I don't know what that plan might be at the moment.

Thanks for listening.

Guaran
    Last edited by Guaran; March 26th, 2017 at 06:11 PM.

Longer lists on super portals isn't gonna be well taken. Again, back to consuming time. Still not a viable option, still longer to port waiting on lists to check through this type and that type. But, things are always bound to change, whether we like it or not....

Thread Information