Thread: Vigilante Group

Qwyn

Default Vigilante Group

Can we get a group together to go after the Mothers & Fathers who had no imagination whatsoever in namming thier newborn?

Nothing is more distractingthan trying to keep totally incharacter when having to deal with someone who is all CAPS or going by titles not names.

Default Re: Vigilante Group

Similar to bold print books for the sight impaired, maybe those parents were a bit hard of hearing so named their children LOUDLY [:)]
    Arirabeth Quickfingers
    Shaliwyn Whisperwing
    Arydun Wyr`Thalu
    ~Mystic Blades~ Order
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss
    Damnit Jim! I'm a gnome not a lemming!

you can't keep in character if someone got their name in caps?

Maybe turning off names would help [:)]
    Aegis BlightMaker, Gnome of the First Order

visiting times vari

rainbo

hehe yeah i must admit all caps in someones name is quite off putting and rather silly :)

Aye, it's very distracting...
    TIGRIS EUPHRATES and TEKKA RUNECLAW. Istarian Veteran, The Original Order Shard Herald, Herald of the Spirit Shard. Storm Disciple, Flame Disciple, Spirit Disciple, Ice Disciple, Monk, Ranger, Healer, Druid, Spiritist. Grand Master Biped Crafter.

Lockwood

As much as I don't like it, you gotta give credit to some of them though, the plays on words are becoming more and more elaborate.

Not that they shouldn't get smacked around nonetheless

Qwyn

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip
    you can't keep in character if someone got their name in caps?
    I can but I want to holler stop shouting!!! [:D]

Daanai

For personal/Immersion reasons I always play with names and guild names turned off. This also hasthe benefit of making me pay attention to what "people" look like.

I have had zero problems with peoples names ruining my gameplay but I hope that you find a way ( that works for you)to enjoy Istaria regardless of the names of others.

Ssarl

Saris Ranger/Blacksmith

I just did that Ssarl, and it actually greatly enhanced the RP experience...Now, we just need to get everyone to do that, I think you would have no need for a vigilante group...And those of you who don't like the names, I do suggest that you turn names off...It will ease your frustration
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

i do that too. like how it is in AC1.

EQ was the one which started the floating names bs.

I haven't tried playing w/o names and guilds and what not. I'll have to give that a try. I don't care for the all caps names and all the non-rp names and whatnot, but it's a losing battle IMO. There's not much enforcement, and what there is seems spotty and random.

I got used to having guild names up from the first mmo I played, Shadowbane, which was a free-for-all PVP (shudder), so you had to know who was coming up on you to know if you should attack, run, or be friendly...[:D]

But if I could play without having the GUI up, I would!! Istaria looks fantastic that way, especially when flying.
    Mordoth Penumbraen
    Helian Dragon of Order
    (Retired but keeping an eye out.)
    Keir Chet k'Eilerten
    http://tinyurl.com/ZL3F

"I'm a vegetarian Dragon. I only eat Garden Gnomes."

Ein Morbane

Yes, roleplay is much easier without guild names and names. Think about it, take me for example, me and Ssilmath talk alot, but our charecters never really met, so when I do meet him, I will play as if I dont know him, roleplay is far easier to do when you spark a conversation with someone with an introduction. I reconize people by how they look. I've never seen a Dragon or Biped that looks exactly the same, now that I look at my own, I look like a oriental version of David Bauman from Disturbed. (that would be the lead singer.) Like in real life, theres enough customization in the game to be able to reconize charecters solely by features. BUT thats my opinion, other people are different.

P.S. Anyone who calls me byname in open chat will recieve the almighty stab in thechest wound ofGOD! ((ok ok, just kidding,you get the point >:) ))

Qwyn

I never played with names up. I leave that for the childrens games on PS2, Xbox and the like. If I want to know who a player is I will click to find out. I am sure there are many more names out there that would get under my skin for the players lack of either understanding the art or Role Playing or imaginations. I have seen a few good names but were all capped. Why? Compensation for an inferiority complex? When I am in char, Reg, the controler dies out. Use your imaginations and say take the name Bob. Everytime you hear that name pretend it is someone shouting it at the top of thier lungs. I would have to search but many years ago I came across a name generator designed for specific genres. It was a great tool. Was offered as a help tool by the game I was looking into. But I tend to take names of the lesser characters from books.

I also do not let it ruin my gaming. I am polite will answer questions posed of me but am just annoyed by the lack of forethought put into the RP aspect of the game. I agree the policing of RP is missing. I played a MUD that its character generation section was self policing. My hat was of to those programmers for thier dedication to keeping the RP aspect first and formost.

My original post went out in the wrong frame of mind and it is I to blame for that. I was thinking mainly to bring the subject to light so newer players would maybe think twice before naming themselves DESTRUCTION or something.

Ahkaskar

The only reason I leave names up is so that I don't get caught off guard completely by monsters that haven't visibly loaded, yet.

Sen of Order

General Reply:

I play with names up mainly because of the lag (as the last poster stated). Often, all I get is a name floating by and I never actually see the person before we've zipped past each other in our frenzied activities.

Of course, the monster names is also just as "crucial". [;)]

Zvah

Quote Originally Posted by Ein Morbane
    David Bauman from Disturbed. (that would be the lead singer.)

David Draiman :) Just had to clear that up

Other then that, i plan on switching to no names to avoid the frustration of poor names. The invis mobs kinda worries me though....

haha glad you did clear that up Zvah :P
    Frons Von Frik - Order

I rely on the names being on to see invis mobs...however from memory (not being able to check right now) its a different setting for mobs and players.

There are so many people who use names or variations of names from books, movies other games its quite annoying.

How could anyone who knows what draiman looks like think his name is bauman? that is just disturbed :P
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

voxxon

i hate when peeps use caps my self.....but to comment to arribeth hard of hearing commint take it easy my friend there can be hearing impair people wh play this gaame who can get offended. Not dogging ya just stating a fact

ya bud voxxon[:)]

Thread Information