Thread: This thread for parallel stories not directly linked to "Disturbing News"

Hybrid View

Default The Man Who Wasn't There by Dellani Oakes Part 12

"I am well aware of that, my dear. But you're his intended mate. Therefore, your participation is essential. I'm going to give you detailed instructions."

Jordan, who was very well organized, picked up a pencil and legal pad she'd brought down to take notes on the videos. She'd already scribbled some things on the pad. She turned to a fresh page.

"Ready," she replied.

Meru smiled. "Not yet, perhaps, but you will be as ready as I can make you."

He spent the next hour giving them detailed instructions on how to stand, how to chant and who should handle what part of the intricate spell. Jordan kept concise notes, repeating the instructions to be sure she had everything right.

Brian and Meru practiced the dance together. Jordan kept the beat by tapping on her notepad with her pencil. When they were done, he smiled once more. His dark eyes sparkled.

"You'll let me know how this goes?"

"Yes, absolutely," Jordan replied. "Thank you, Dr. Meru. I hope one day we'll be able to meet you."

"I do too, Jordan. And don't worry, dearest one, you'll grow. Not as tall as your man-beast here, but tall enough that you'll be able to hold your own."

"She already holds her own," Brian replied, winking at Jordan. "She scares the hell out of me on a regular basis."

Meru laughed, nodding. "As it should be. Time for me to go, children. I have faith in you. I will call upon the others, and we will all be lifting you up." He bowed his head and cut the connection.

Jordan and Brian went upstairs to talk to the others and give their instructions. Maribelle got pencils and paper for everyone so that they could copy their parts as Jordan told them. Each of them had a part to play. When they were done, Jordan sat heavily beside Brian. He put his arm around her, pulling her close.

"You're pretty amazing," he whispered. "If I haven't told you that before, I'm a fool."

Jordan kissed his cheek, grinning up at him. "Thank you. You are a fool."

Brian laughed, rubbing her head until he mussed her hair. "Thanks a bunch! Just remember, I may be a fool, but I'm all yours."

"Yes, no end of bother, but what's a girl to do?"

"Who's hungry?" Miles asked.

"Besides you?" Maribelle replied.

"I'm starving," Brian replied.

"I could eat," Sweet added.

The men all joined in on the chorus of hunger. Soon, the children joined them, creating quite a cacophony.

"Pizza," Miles declared, pulling out his phone. "Three large, right?" He winked at the assembled hoard of hungry people.

"More like thirty," Brian replied. "I swear, I could eat a whole one by myself."

Jordan's pad of paper came in handy once more. Everyone had their special orders to ask for. Miles gathered and assembled the requests and called the pizza delivery place.

"We'll pick it up," he assured the girl on the phone. "No driver should have to deal with that kind of order."

"I was gonna say, that's bigger than some school orders. This could take about an hour, is that okay?"

"Yeah. Thank you."

Maribelle pulled out all the snack food she had, which was considerable. Everything from honey mustard pretzels to a vegetable platter. Brian wasn't surprised to find out that the mothers had brought a variety of items with them for the overnight trip.

Brian and Andre went with Louisa and Jordan to pick up the pizza. On the way back, Jordan yelped.

"I completely forgot about your loin cloth," she said.

"No worries," Brian assured her. "I talked to Dr. Meru about that. He said any natural fiber. I have a pair of hemp shorts that Dad got for me in Jamaica. They've never been worn. I rinsed them out in blessed salt water. Meru said those would work great. Even the thread and drawstring are hemp fiber."

"Whew!" I haven't even had time to think about it."

"Aw, you mean we don't get to see Brian in the buff?" Louisa teased. "I wanted to make unkind comparisons."

Brian blushed, his ears burning. "I assure you, everything is proportional," he shot back at her.

Andre's eyes narrowed. "Oh, hell. I'm just as glad you're gonna be dancing in shorts cause, da-yam."

Brian laughed, glancing at his friend with a raised eyebrow. "Jealous?"

Andre, who was considerably shorter than Brian, screwed up his mouth, shaking his head. "No fair. That's all I'm sayin'."
    The girls laughed loudly.

"If either of you says anything with the word envy attached, she will be summarily chastised," Andre threatened.

© 2017 Dellani Oakes

Default The Man Who Wasn't There by Dellani Oakes Part 13

The pizza was greeted enthusiastically, the delivery personnel even got scattered thanks from the group. When they had all eaten their fill, there was very little left. It all fit in two boxes. True to their prediction, Brian and Sweet had each eaten the better part of a whole large pizza.

"You know how on TV the mom comes in carrying one pizza box and there are like six people there?" Andre said, suppressing a burp. "I look at that and I think, She's planning on feeding an entire family with one large pizza? Is she high?"

"Apparently not, or she'd have her own pizza, and make the family share," Miles countered.

"And there's always a piece or two left afterward," Sweet added. "Six people, one pizza, two slices left." He shook his head. "Not my kinda math at all."

"No, in your world, it's six people, twelve pizzas and everyone gets two," Ginnifer teased.

"I need a nap," Miles said. "If we're going to be up late, I want some rest."

Agreeing with him, everyone departed, planning to meet up at the Finley's house at 6:00 for dinner. They would be performing the ritual at the Finley's. It was the most remote location available. Set on the edge of the swamp, they could offer more privacy than the others.

Brian kissed Jordan before she got in the car with her parents. "See you later," he murmured. "I have something to tell you before we get involved in everything."

"We'll sneak off before dinner," she promised.

"See you soon."

They kissed again and he went inside. Brian went to his room and lay down, staring at the ceiling. He was tired, but too wound up to relax. He was anxious, not just because of the ritual, but because he planned to tell Jordan that he loved her. He had no idea how this evening would end. If something went wrong, he could be killed or injured. He had no illusions on that point. His mother had lost her eyesight in casting a spell. Over a year later, she still hadn't gotten it back fully, and probably never would.

What if it doesn't work? What if I mess up? What if he isn't real? What if he doesn't show up?

Brian knew he was making himself crazy with the worrying, but he couldn't stop it. His mind was in fast gear, moving at a furious speed. To help himself relax, he put on some music. All the songs were things that Jordan liked. He could see her singing along as she danced by herself.

I never dance with her. Why don't I dance with her? Because you can't dance, you moron. Then I'm going to learn. Jordan loves it so much, she deserves to have a man in her life who can dance.

With Jordan's face in his mind, he dozed off, waking to a light tapping on his door. He rolled over as it opened.

"Hiya, handsome," Jordan said as she walked in.

"Hey, babe. Oh, wake up breath!" He excused himself. Coming back minty fresh, he kissed her.

"I thought I'd slip up here before it gets crazy. Dad dropped me off on the way to Chase's house. He said I can ride over with you." She sat beside him on the bed, legs crossed in front of her. "What did you want to talk about? The ritual?"

"No." He took her hands. "I'm not gonna lie, Jordan. I'm nervous, maybe even scared."

"It's gonna be okay, Brian...."

"Yeah, I know. It will probably be fine. But I've had something on my mind for a couple weeks no—longer. And I have to get this off my chest before we do all this."

"Okay." She sat quietly, attentive.

Brian took her hands, kissing them. "I know we're destined to be together," he said quickly, almost flippantly. "But I wanted to say, I'd have chosen you anyway, because you're the most amazing girl I know."

"Thanks, Brian...."

He stopped her with a shake of his head. "I have to say this fast—all at once, or I'll chicken out."

"Okay. You're kinda freaking me out here, Bri."

He traced the vein on the back of her hand with the tip of his finger. His gaze fastened on hers. "You mean the world to me, Jordan. I feel like I can do anything, when you're with me. I could leap a tall building or two. Provided one needed leaping. I bet I could even stop a freight train." He realized he was babbling. He took a deep breath. "I don't know what's going to happen tonight. Everything could be fine, or it could all go pear shaped. And if that happens, you need to know something." He took another deep breath. "I love you, Jordan. More than my own life. You drive me nuts, and keep me on my toes. You scold me when I need it, and you help me when I get in over my head."

Jordan stopped his flow of words by kissing him. They kissed a long time, getting more familiar with their hands than they'd ever been. Jordan pulled away for a moment.

"I love you, too, Brian. Since the first day when you nearly planted your face in my chest."

"You have very nice....," he whispered huskily. His hands moved, of their own accord, to her chest.

There was a sharp tap on the door. Andre poked his head around the door. "Are you f**king crazy, dude?" he whispered angrily. He scooted into the room, shutting the door quietly. "You're sending off all kinds of bells and whistles," he motioned in the air. "You're lucky I'm the one who picked up on it and not someone like—oh, I don't know—her dad!"

"You're right," Brian said. "Sorry, Jordan."

© 2017 Dellani Oakes

Default The Man Who Wasn't There by Dellani Oakes Part 14

"But you mean it, right?" she asked.

"Absolutely. Cross my heart and hope...."

Jordan put her hand over his mouth. "No. Don't finish that. Me too," she whispered. "I love you, too." She headed out the door.

Andre held Brian back. "I know she's a delicious taste sensation, but trust me on this. Do not make the mistake of taking that girl to bed too soon. You're both too young for all that."

Brain bridled slightly. "How soon did you make it with Louisa?"

"She wasn't my first, okay? We didn't know each other until a little over three years ago. Like Jordan's parents, hers moved away. They came back when she turned fifteen. They knew she needed instruction that they couldn't give her. But I made it with this other chick when I was about your age. Got her pregnant. Now, I'm twenty and have a four year old kid with a woman who will never be my wife. I understand the urges well. Louisa makes me crazy just by walking in the room. But I don't do anything with her folks around. Understood?"

"Yes. You're right, Andre. I wasn't thinking. I just told her I loved her for the first time."

"I can dig it, Brian. This whole thing could go pear shaped." He nodded. "I've got your back, you know that, right?"

"Thanks, man. I appreciate it." Brian paused as they went out the door. "If I die, who takes my place? Do you get another Dreamer? And what happens to Jordan?"

"Do you really want to know?"

"No. I guess I don't."

"You aren't gonna die, Brian. You keep all thoughts like that out of your head. Because if you give into the doubt, this whole thing could blow up in our faces, and Mr. D., he wins."

They walked downstairs together. The others were already out the door. Only Louisa, Jordan, Brian and Andre were left. Louisa embraced Brian, hugging him tightly. She kissed both his cheeks before giving him a gentle kiss on the lips.

"You're going to be fine," she promised. "No worries allowed."

"I'll drive," Andre offered.

Brian handed him the keys and hopped in the back seat with Jordan. As soon as they had their belts fastened, their lips met. They kissed the entire way to Chase's house. Brian was very careful where he put his hands.

The swamp seemed darker than usual, more intimidating. Brian couldn't suppress a shiver when he got out of the car. Jordan put her arms around him, hugging tight. She pulled him along, taking small steps, urging him forward. One hesitant step after another, he finally arrived at the house. Taking a deep breath, he walked up the stairs. His feet felt heavy, his body awkward and slow. Was it just fear, or was some outside force acting on him? He had no way of knowing. Dr. Meru hadn't said anything about this.

Inside, he changed into his shorts. It felt weird wearing them without his underwear, but that contained synthetic fibers. A chilly wind blew through the house, scurrying up the leg of his loose pants. Brian shivered, but no one else seemed to notice. They met in Dora Finley's kitchen and did a short cleansing. Just before they went outside, his mother wiped him down with warm blessed salt water, patting him dry with a soft linen towel.

Walking out the backdoor, barefoot, and all but naked, was the most difficult thing he'd ever done. He was glad to reach the circle of trees where a merry bonfire blazed. Remembering the fire from last year, he shuddered, gazing deeply into the flames to see if anything lurked inside. Fortunately, no leering fire elementals danced within. It was nothing but his own wild and overactive imagination.

Everyone took their places. Jordan and the group of Casters surrounded a small table that held all their spell ingredients and tools. The others gathered around the clearing, picking up instruments. Brian would dance to their music. The bonfire took up a six foot diameter area in the middle of the clearing. The altar table was set up near the shed where Mr. Finley kept his workshop. There was a raked area around the fire, forming a circle.

Brian circled the fire, chanting as Dr. Meru had taught him. When he'd made the circuit three times, the music started. Saying a silent prayer, Brian began, his feet finding the right steps without his conscious effort. He felt the drums in his chest, the trill of the flutes rang in his ears. The musicians played and chanted as the others began the spell. Soon, the sounds blended into one, forming a droning backdrop to his movements.

Lost in the music, he continued his dance, repeating the pattern over and over, working up a sweat. He no longer felt the cold. With an uncomfortable lurch, his body traversed a different plane. This place was like nothing he'd seen before.

Everything shimmered with every imaginable color. Birds sang, their trills lingering in the air in a multi-hued trail. There were no people, but animals gathered around, nudging him as they circled him. He saw creatures he didn't recognize among the hundreds of beasts. He was starting to feel lost when two giant dogs burst into the circle, barking happily. Janus and Zofia circled him, yapping and licking him. Brian laughed at their antics.

"Is anyone here?" he called, but no one answered. "Hello? Peddler? We need you. We need your help against the Darkness. Can you help us?"

© 2017 Dellani Oakes

Default The Man Who Wasn't There by Dellani Oakes Part 15

The only sounds were from the animals. He couldn't even hear the wind, though he felt the strength of it on his face. The animals led him to a rocky pool. Above him, there was a waterfall. It was about twenty feet high and could only be reached by scaling slippery rocks. Brian knew he had to climb up to the top. Taking his time, he did so. Janus and Zofia watched from far below, but some of the more agile animals went with him.

When he reached the top, he looked down. The water was crystal blue, like the azurite on the amulet around his neck. It glittered and gleamed invitingly.

"Dive in," he heard in his head.

Brian felt compelled to walk to the edge of the cliff, which seemed higher since he arrived. Taking his diving stance, he took a deep breath. Launching himself over the edge, Brian fell an impossibly long way before his fingertips touched the water. His body cut the surface without a sound or a splash. Down he went, far deeper than he'd ever been before. Strangely, he could breathe here. There was no struggling for air. He could inhale the water and derive oxygen from it. He opened his mouth, gulping it in. It was pure and sweet, unadulterated water. This is what water in the Garden of Eden must have tasted like. Brian drank his fill as he swam around in the depths.

The water surrounded him with light, buoying him as he swam. Still, he didn't find the Peddler. He wondered if the Peddler even lived here. Had Brian done something wrong, landed in the a different spot? Had he died and gone to Heaven? He couldn't imagine that Heaven could be any better than this. It was the most beautiful place he'd ever seen.

He propelled himself to the top of the pool, splashing through the surface. The animals had gone, only Janus and Zofia were there, lying on the banks. They stood, grinning, when he walked out of the water.

"Is he here? Did I come to the wrong spot? I wish you could answer me."

Brian stood on the banks of the pool, casting about for ideas. He had no clue where to go, what to do or how to get home. He could only hope that the ritual had worked and that he wasn't lost here forever. That thought dulled his enjoyment slightly. As lovely and peaceful as it was here, he wanted to go home.

The landscape faded and he felt himself drifting down. With a thump, he woke as he sat hard on the damp ground. The drums stopped, the flutes fluttered to a halt. The chanting ended and all eyes stared at him. No one spoke for several seconds.

Jordan dashed forward with a blanket, wrapping it around him. She kissed his cheeks, feeling his head. "Are you okay? You've been out for ages!" Bursting into tears, she clung to him.

Miles and Heath helped him up. They walked into the house, supporting him. Jackie and Dr. Beauchamps, checked him over.
    "Except for being a little chilled, he's fine," Andre's father declared.

"What happened?" Brian asked.

"Let's get you home and we'll tell you," Heath said.

Miles took Brian to the bathroom and helped him dress. When he was warmly covered, they went home. Jordan refused to be separated from him. She held his hand the entire way home and wouldn't leave his side once they walked in the house. Maribelle fixed him a hot, restorative tea, and Brian waited for an explanation.

Miles poured a measure of whiskey in a glass, handing it to Brian. "I know you're only sixteen, but I think you deserve this."
    "What happened? Did it work?" Brian sipped the whiskey, shuddering slightly. It sent a tingling warmth throughout his body. He sipped steadily until it was gone.

"We don't know if it worked, son. Do you think it did?"

"I haven't a clue." He told them about the place he'd been and told them about swimming in the pond. "What happened here? Jordan acts like I've been gone forever."

"You did the dance, we did the spell. It seemed to work, got all the fancy fireworks we were expecting, only you collapsed. You were breathing, but you were completely unresponsive. We wanted to pick you up and carry you inside, but Janus appeared out of nowhere, followed by Zofia. They wouldn't let us anywhere near you. They lay next to you, kept you warm and didn't move until just before you got up—two hours later."

"What? I was only gone ten minutes!"

Jordan took his hand, scooting closer. "Two hours, Brian. Exactly. You didn't seem to be in distress, in fact, you were smiling and it looked like you were drinking something delicious."

"The water," he said quietly. "It was the sweetest, freshest water I ever tasted. And I could breathe underwater. I kept thinking, Is this Heaven? Am I dead? But the dogs weren't real communicative."

"Did you see anyone?" Miles asked.

"No, just the animals. All kinds, some I don't even know names for. They led me to the pool. I heard a voice telling me to dive in. I did."

Jordan flung her arms around him, burying her face in his shoulder. "You scared me to death," she whispered. "Don't scare me like that again! Promise!"

Brian took her face in his hands, giving her a kiss. "Given who we are and what we have to do, I can't make that promise. Because I won't break a promise to you, Jordan." His next kiss lasted longer. He wanted her with every nerve in his body. They sang a chorus of desire that he wished to join. Her hands and lips weren't enough.

"I know she's a delicious taste sensation, but get a grip, boy!" Hearing Andre's voice in his mind, he slowly broke his hold on Jordan.

© 2017 Dellani Oakes

Default The Man Who Wasn't There by Dellani Oakes Part 16

Their parents had left them alone. They sat in the living room, clinging to one another.

"What happened, Brian? Where did you go?"

"I don't know, Jordan. I don't know."

Brian woke the next morning with Jordan in his arms. She lay with her head on his chest, her hair loose around them in a thick, brown tangle. He was dressed in his pajama pants, but he couldn't remember how he'd gotten to bed. The last thing he remembered was Jordan asking him where he'd been. Hours later, he still had no idea.

Jordan stirred, stretching. Her right hand nearly clipped him in the chin. He grabbed her arm gently, keeping it from jabbing him. She gasped, sitting up quickly. Laughing, she leaned over and kissed him.

"Sorry about that. I'm used to waking up alone."

"How did we end up here?"

"You nearly passed out on me, so I helped you up the stairs. Then I didn't want to leave you alone. You weren't too steady on your feet."

"Did I dress myself?"

"I helped." She smirked and went to the bathroom.

Brian groaned. Head in hands, he sat on the edge of the bed until Jordan came back. She tried to hug him, but he dashed to the bathroom, shutting the door quickly. Leaning on the sink, he stared at himself in the mirror. He wasn't sure, but he thought there was something different about his eyes. It was almost as if someone else stared out of them, seeing what he saw. It was so disconcerting, he tried closing his eyes when he peed. That didn't end well.

Jordan wasn't in his room when he came out, but he heard her downstairs talking to his mother. He dressed quickly and joined them in the kitchen. Maribelle was just taking out a pan of muffins.

"Morning, sleepy son. How are you feeling?" She set the muffins on the counter and felt his face with her hand.

"I'm fine, Mom." He pulled away from her motherly ministrations. "Honest, I'm fine."

"How did he sleep?" she asked Jordan.

"Well. Quietly. He didn't even talk in his sleep."

Maribelle nodded. Miles came in a moment later with Elise in his arms. She reached for Brian, launching herself at him. Laughing, he caught her as she flew from their father's arms.

"Careful, little bit. One day, I might miss, then where will you be?"

"Bree," she gurgled, patting his face. "Bree!"

"Is she trying to say your name?" Jordan asked. "That's so cool!"

"Bree!" Elise chortled, smacking her brother on the lips.

"Elise!" he countered, rubbing noses. "Best baby sister in the world!" He danced around with her in his arms. Spinning closer to Jordan, he held her with one arm as he balanced Elise with the other. "Two of my three favorite girls. Sorry, Mom. I don't have three arms."

"She can dance with me," Miles said, sweeping Maribelle into his arms.

They danced and capered around the room. The only dance Brian knew was the waltz, so he spun Jordan around in an awkward rendition and hummed the Blue Danube. Laughing, he tossed back her head as they circled the kitchen together. Elise giggled and clapped.

"Bree!" she chortled. "Jo!" she touched Jordan's cheek with her chubby fingers.

"Oh, my God, she said my name too!" Jordan didn't know whether to laugh or cry. Filled with mixed emotions, she did both.
    Brian stopped dancing. "Babe, are you okay?"

"She said my name, too," Jordan said, tears muffling her words.

"You're family," Maribelle said, taking the baby from Brian. "Of course, she would say your name." She hugged Jordan, kissing her on the head.

Brian took Elise once more, putting her in her high chair. He got her a bottle and a bowl of applesauce while his mother and Jordan hugged and cried.

He didn't understand women at all. How was it such a big deal? Yeah, it was cool that Elise said their names, but it wasn't worth crying over. Shaking his head, he fed the baby a bite of applesauce. Jordan dried her eyes and got them each a mug of coffee. He thanked her and gave Elise another bite.

"Thank you for my dance," Jordan said. "That was fun. We should do that more often."

"Sadly, that's the only dance I know."

"You know the Peddler dance," Jordan replied with a smirk.

"Don't remind me. Not exactly something I can take with me to the Halloween Ball."

Jordan giggled. "Why not? Teach it to all our friends, and we could start our own fad."

He chuckled. "They'd probably think we were flat crazy."

"They'd be right about you. Stark raving bonkers, that's what you are."

"Not denying it. What's your excuse?"

"I hooked up with you. Bound to make anyone lose her mind."

They laughed. Elise giggled, banging her bottle on the tray of her highchair.

Maribelle brought them each a plate, piled high with the things they loved the most, not the last of which as a mound of bacon on a plate between them.

© 2017 Dellani Oakes

Default The Man Who Wasn't There by Dellani Oakes Part 17

"Oh, thank you for feeding my bacon craving!" Jordan took a piece in each hand, alternating bites. "I don't know how my mother doesn't think bacon is a slice of heaven. Yum!"

"I gather that once you and Brian are married, you won't be keeping the vegetarian tradition?"

"With his hulk? He'd rebel and start eating the vertical blinds."

"Only if they're made of bacon," Brian replied, stuffing a biscuit in his mouth.

"I know Mom thinks it clears the brain and keeps her more spiritual, but I can't deny my carnivorous moments. She made the switch when I was ten. I don't know what brought it on, she never told me. It wasn't an easy transition, especially for Dad and my brothers."

"If you decide to enforce it, warn me so I can divorce you and marry some other sultry, brunette beauty with nice boobs and a great smile," Brian teased, forgetting his mother was in the room.

Maribelle cleared her throat pointedly. Brian dropped his head to the table.

"Sorry, Mom. That was a joke because I nearly landed face first in Jordan's chest the day we met." He raised his head, looking guilty. "You know, I had no clue you were even a girl until that happened."

"You thought I was a boy?" Jordan's laugh burst forth. "Oh, that's great. Way to stoke my ego, Casey."

"In my defense, Jordan isn't exactly the most gender specific name. And you have a husky voice And you were wearing a very bulky jacket."

"I concede your defense," she replied. "As long as you're clear now."

Brian smirked, raising an eyebrow as his eyes drifted to her chest. Her sweater clung to her curves, emphasizing her lush figure to perfection. "I'm not sure. Maybe you need to convince me further."

Maribelle cleared her throat again. "Brian, I didn't raise you to be a leach."

"No, Mother, you didn't. It's an ironic quirk of fate and, no doubt, a misalignment in the stars that causes my loutish behavior. I promise that I shall strive to do better, but please don't expect it to improve. I have testosterone."

"Go away. Now, before I am forced to smack you." She brandished a spatula at him.

Brian jumped away as she swung playfully at him. "Watch it, Mom. You'll hit the baby!"

"Go away," she repeated.

"Yes, ma'am. Going away now, ma'am."

Brian and Jordan cleared the table and cleaned up the kitchen after breakfast. He felt marginally normal, despite his odd experiences last night.

"You need to journal this," Jordan decided. "Let's go to the basement, and we'll do a video log of it."

"Did all our friends go home last night?"

"No, they're still here, but we're not getting together until lunch time. After that, they'll head home. Meeting at my house this time. Some of the ladies are already there getting things set up."

"It's cool that you're here?" Brian didn't want her to leave.

Jordan put her hand on his cheek. "I'm where I need to be—where I want to be. I never really got the chance to say this yesterday. You were too hell bent on blurting out everything on your mind. I love you, too, Brian. We've battled fire and ice together, vanquished a demon—"

"You raised me from the dead," he murmured, his lips near hers.

"You gave me my first real kiss," she whispered. "And even if we weren't betrothed by Fate, I'd choose you, too. You're the only guy who gets my sense of humor. You laugh at my jokes and you don't let my sarcasm set your skin on fire." She giggled as he moved closer. "And you look at me as if I'm the most beautiful girl in the world."

Brian kissed her deeply. Heat blossomed in his chest, spreading warmth all over his body. He hadn't realized how cold he'd been after the ritual, until now. Jordan rekindled the heat inside him, making him feel more alive than ever. Hearing Andre's voice in his head again, he backed off. Only Andre's voice wasn't in his head, it was in the next room.

"Could y'all keep it down? We were trying to sleep!"

Brian laughed, shaking his head. "No, you weren't! I may not be psychic or see auras, but I'm a man. Mom's got breakfast ready. Might wanna get dressed and eat."

"Asshole!" Andre tossed back.

Prick!" Brian countered.

"Thanks, I got me one already."

"Mine's bigger," Brian couldn't resist adding.

Andre made a disgusted noise. He and Louisa came out of their room a few minutes later.

"Sorry, dude. I forgot you were here," Brian apologized.

Louisa went upstairs with Jordan to fix plates for herself and Andre.

"I get it, man. It's been a busy couple days for you. Cool it, though. I know the urge to take it fast, believe me. I got a kid to prove it."

"Does Louisa know?"

"Yeah. She's met the ex, and knows my baby. We have an amicable relationship, but it was never love. Both women know that. I can't stress enough how important it is to wait. Trust me, the first time with the woman you love, the one you're bound to—nothing like it." He clapped Brian on the back, shaking his head slowly. "I sound like an old man, don't I? Mr. Experience at twenty."

Brian laughed. "Yeah, you're the old man of the bunch. But we love you, gramps."

© 2017 Dellani Oakes

Default The Man Who Wasn't There by Dellani Oakes Part 18 & 19

Andre poked him in the ribs. "I'm gonna go eat. Then I want to hear all about what you saw. You were pretty messed up last night. Couldn't hardly get out two words when Jordan and I put you to bed."

"You did that?"

"Yeah. You think a bitty thing like her could get you up the steps? Our folks were asleep, so I gave her a hand."

"Thanks."

"No problem, Brian. That's what friends do."

Jordan and Brian had a cup of coffee while the other two ate. Back in the basement, Jordan set up the camera on Brian's laptop. He sat on the dilapidated couch and told about his vision. Afterward, the others asked him questions and he explained more about his impressions and feelings.

"Since we don't know who will see this in the future," Brian said. "I want to make it clear that I have no idea if the ritual worked or not. I don't know if I summoned the Peddler, or had a vision of Heaven, or something else entirely. I don't feel all that different, but I did have the sensation this morning, as if someone else looked through my eyes. It was strange, like what I was seeing was all new."

He shook his head, closing his eyes for a moment. Inhaling deeply, he could pick out the scents of the three others in the room. He smelled laundry soap and baby spit up. He could taste Jordan's kisses on his lips, flavored by her breakfast and coffee. The texture of the couch was more pronounced, the worn areas distinctly softer than the other material.

"I can sense more. Feel more," he murmured. "Everything—stronger, better, more pronounced. Smells and tastes, especially, but my vision seems clearer too." He cocked his head to one side, listening. "Someone turned on the TV upstairs. ESPN. Must be Dad." He chuckled. "I can feel the walls of the house. If I concentrate, I can sense the cracks in the foundation and the spaces between the bricks."

Brian's eyes fluttered open. "I don't know if it's the Peddler, or something new about me, but I've never felt like this before. Whatever we unlocked last night—" He shook his head. "We did something, but heck if I know what it was."

The others listened in silence. Jordan inhaled sharply and turned off the camera.

Disturbed by the resounding quiet, Brian spoke. "Someone say something."

Andre cleared his throat. "Dude...." It was obvious he had no idea how to continue.

"Do you feel—like someone else is—possessing you?" Louisa asked.

"No. More like someone is along for the ride." He paused, pursing his lips. "You know how they will put a helmet camera on someone who's going skydiving or dirt bike racing? Same kind of thing, like someone is watching through my eyes. There, but not there."

"Have you told your folks yet?" Louisa asked.

"No. I just realized it this minute."

"We need to tell your folks," Louisa said. "And Claude needs to check you again."

"I'm fine, Louisa." Brian tried to walk past her, but she halted him.

"Please. It would make me feel better."

"And me," Jordan added in a small voice.

Put that way, Brian relented. How could he claim to love Jordan, and not put her wants ahead of his own, once in awhile? Especially when it was a such small thing.

Andre already had his phone out, calling his father. A short consultation, they decided to head to the hospital in Natchez. Dr. Beauchamps had a few friends who would get them in so he could run some tests.

Maribelle Casey hugged Brian so long, he was afraid they'd be late. Miles peeled her arms from their son.

"He's fine, Mamie. No worries allowed. Jordan, you coming?"

"Yes!" she grabbed Brian's hand as they walked to the car.

Maribelle broke down, sobbing as they pulled out of the driveway. Adele Beauchamps held her, crooning softly. Elise fussed, her plaintive wail audible over the baby monitor. Louisa went up for her.

Andre called the others, telling them what was going on. They met up for lunch, but no one felt much like eating. Andre played the video for them, summarizing what Brian had said after the camera turned off.

"You mean we could have called something that possessed that boy?" Marissa's father, Harold Pennybaker, snarled. "If I didn't have an obligation to be a part of this, I'd put it behind me. This is treading on the Devil's ground!"

"Oh, stuff it, Harold," Heath Barrett said. "I don't know what crawled up your behind, but this isn't demonic possession. Could the Peddler be a Rider? Now, that's possible. It's not unheard of. Lore and legend...."

"Lore and legend be damned! It's exactly that kind of wild thought that makes this so dangerous!"

"Lighten up, Harold," his wife said, her nostrils pinched and white. "I've listened to your narrow minded slop as long as I can tolerate. It's bad enough you've squelched our daughter's skills and warped her faith, I won't let you do it to anyone else. At least you haven't done so to mine. If I had my way, I'd have put a sock in your mouth twenty years ago. I can't help that your granny had religion and infected the rest of you with it"

The adults and teens sat in mute shock as the scene unfolded before them. Fortunately, the children were enjoying the lovely fall day outside with the dogs.

Nadine Pennybaker stood, marching over to her husband on the other side of the room. Shaking her finger under his nose, she continued. "This ends today, this very second. You can be Mr. Religion all you want, but you leave me and our daughter out of it. Marissa has a place in all this. She's been chosen. I've taught her what I could on the sly, camouflaging it so you wouldn't know, but she's got a place to fill, a job to do. She can't do it with you hollering about demon possession and all that other crap!"

Nadine turned to the rest of the group. "I apologize for this. It should have been a family matter, but I can't stand listening to it another minute. So, Harold, what's it to be? Can you set this nonsense aside and focus on the real problem?"

"I'm sorry, Nadine. I thought I was. This is serious! That boy could be injured or sick in the head. We did this to him. Us and that witch doctor from the Outback."

"Dr. Meru is a well respected historian who lives in Sydney," Andre stated calmly. "And your wife's right. This isn't helping Brian. You've got some mad skills, Mr. Pennybaker. Skills we need."

"You don't have to be scared of this, Daddy," Marissa said quietly. "I was terrified until last night. Brian took on that job, even though he didn't want to. I know he was scared, but he did it. Whatever experience he had, it was fantastic! He's not possessed—I know Andre can confirm this. There's not another person inside him. I can see it. It's like Heath said, he's got a Rider."

"A Rider is like a demon on your back," her father protested.

Marissa stamped her foot. "No, it isn't! Must you be so utterly obtuse? Let me put this in terms your primitive little brain can understand, okay?"

Her father crossed his arms, glaring at her. Andre and Chase moved closer to Marissa. Chase took her hand in both of his, nodding at her to continue.

"The Rider, Heath mentioned, it's energy. You know how pirates are always depicted with a parrot on their shoulders?" She cast about the group for a response.

The others nodded. It was a familiar, comfortable image.

"A Rider is like that. Like this little bird perched on your shoulder. It's not there to cause trouble or hurt you or anyone else in any way. It's an observer. It would be like the Google maps guy who walks around with the camera on his head."

The young people chuckled softly, understanding that image even better.

"Maybe he was sent by the Peddler. Maybe he is the Peddler. Whatever's the case, he's here to help. I can see it."

Jackie and Andre exchanged a look.

"Whatever it is, it's changed his aura," Jackie said. "Not in a bad way. It's like he's got this golden—something...."

Andre motioned toward his right shoulder. "Here. Like the parrot. It glows white hot. It's not dangerous."

"It's pure good," Jackie concluded. "They can run tests, but it's not something to worry about." She went to Maribelle, hugging her. "Brian is fine, Mamie. Whatever the Rider is, it's here to protect him—to protect us. If it was evil, don't you think one of us would have spotted it? Or the dogs? They are better judges of evil than any human I know."

Harold Pennybaker tossed up his hands in disgust. "I see no one will listen to the voice of reason."

"When you've got something reasonable to say, Harold, we'll listen," his wife snapped. "Meanwhile, I'll pray for a change of heart for you. We need everyone at a hundred percent capacity. You can't pretend this isn't real. Everything we've seen in the last year, should convince you."

He hung his head, shaking it.

Marissa took her father's hand. "It's okay to be afraid, Daddy. We're all scared."

He put his arms around his wife and daughter. "Do you think I'm scared for myself? Never for a minute. I'm terrified of losing the people I love. You're all I've got. If anything happened to you, it would kill me. Forgive me for hiding behind God, baby girl." He kissed Marissa's brow. "He is our shield and protector. I wanted His strength to aid us."

"No one's denying God's existence, Daddy. We're just spreading our faith. Who's to say God didn't put us here? Seems to me, the world is a mess and needs all the help it can get."

Harold kissed his daughter's forehead. "How'd you get so wise?"

"I listened to you and Mama."

Harold chuckled. "My friends, I apologize for the drama. I got so snarled up thinking this was wrong, I couldn't see what was right."

Everyone hugged everyone else. Maribelle's phone rang. It was Miles.

"Hey, darlin'," he greeted her when she answered. "He just got out of the MRI. It looks good, according to Claude. The radiologist has to do her thing with it, but Claude watched the whole procedure and said he's never seen a prettier brain." He paused for a moment. They could hear another voice, a woman's, speaking. "Doctor Rosenthal agrees. Beautiful brain. That's a relief, anyway. They did blood work and so on, but won't have the results on that for awhile. We're checking out now and should be on our way home in an hour at the latest. We're probably going to stop for lunch. We're starving."

© 2017 Dellani Oakes

Thread Information