Thread: Let's talk about end game casters (wiz, mag, sorc, conj etc)

Default Let's talk about end game casters (wiz, mag, sorc, conj etc)

I'm pretty sure there's a serious disparity between melee and caster dps/usability.

Once you multiclass a melee character you can click two buttons (melee flurry and unbridled energy) and essentially do 2000-3000 damage every 2-4 seconds depending on your swing speed/damage type, which is awesome and needed, don't get me wrong, but how can a caster compete with this?

Cast a bolt for 250-400 damage every 3 seconds? Even with the epic spell tech you're still pathetic.

Yes they have AoE but it's probably 10x less than dragons do especially in an extended engagement, or even a whirlwind/energy saber from a hyped up melee character.

Yes, they have some crowd control (barely, after a few hits/dots they're coming after you anyway, and good luck controlling that in a public environment)

Yes, they can have stuns but stuns are essentially useless now especially when you have more than 2 dragons in the group (tail whippings) giving stun immunity, the slow of the ice spells are essentially useless end game. Don't even try any of your tricks against an epic mob because you can't even effect them. So glad my satyr's charge is useless on one of my characters.

Plus all the dps ablities do 180-250 damage typically

I think you could triple the spell/ablility damage and we'd still see exactly zero casters ingame with high ratings.
    Every time I see ANY bi-ped spell caster run around I ALWAYS say "OMG, that's sweet I never see one of those in game"

Please discuss.

Default Re: Let's talk about end game casters (wiz, mag, sorc, conj etc)

I remember when having a sorcerer in group was half of a victory.
    There been 3-4 on Order- . It was an honor to have one of them with us.

No use for sorcer anymore- nor for Shamanes and all other you named..
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

Very true Lov, They have nerfed the dragon caster with the OH. I remember when I could not wait to get higher level to get the next version of Drain Bolt to help the caster be more powerful. Now the Improved Prime Bolt does more damage. What is the point in having a special drain bolt now? 3 tech slots and what do we put on it....accuracy...WOW. They have nerfed a lot of adventure classes that I don't even bother to play anymore. I have read what some are trying to do to make their characters be able to compete with the new combat system. I don't know if I am going to bother with it anytime soon to what? get a 2% increase in damage or armour and then you are not sure if it is even 2% or -2% lol. The biggest number of players/subs are vets and since the OH I have noticed many are dropping extra subs because it is not so much fun to play anymore...sad. I am mostly here because of friends. I just hope they consider all the years we have played and enjoyed the game and stop trying to make it more difficult to enjoy anymore.

Scram, friend!
    Pls forgive- but I cant sign your post.

This thread is not about dragons-
    and I agreed with zachy complaining the loss of power and uselessness of certain biped classes- once indispensible in certain fights.
    Which has nothing to do with COH!.

But - just to give you a statement from the other point of view:
    Combat Overhaul did NOT harm my dragons they are as strong as before- even a bit stronger-
    cause I tried new things and found out : I still can iimprove:-)))))
    Sure- having lost drain boilt uber weapn is annoying. Annoying- nothing else.
    And now- as I check my dmg output carefully in each fight . *clears throat* satisfying^^.
    Lov (hybride caster and Luna (hybride melee). And ther is still not all done which I think of to keep on improving.
    And I AM NOT strongest, most clever, or even uber drag here. Some of my dragon friends beat my dmg numbers easily.
    So lets do try and error- and uber drain bolt will be a sweet memory soon!!

Can t talk about if COH nerved bipeds.. but what I hear is more vice versa...
    The nerves I was thinking of and talking about took place long ago.
    Ranger, Sorcerer are 2 which made friends leave the game..years ago.

I still say- hail devs- this COH was necessary to give the game a future- we all want it to have. So Thank you devs again for all your hard work.

Long live Istaria
    YOU told me to play a dragon!

It's all good Lov. We shall see how this works out for all

cheers

Sounds like a good opportunity for the devs to continue looking at each class, see which ones are under-performing, and give them the love they need. The COH has, hopefully, made adding new abilities, spells, techs, etc, and balancing them, easier and more straightforward than before. I don't have any high-rating bipeds yet, so I don't have any insights on what exactly needs to change, but thus far I've found mage to be quite fun in the early levels. But that's just my two cents, and I wish I had better feedback to offer.

I originally built my goat (Woe) specifically to be a Sorc, then switched to Mage because of the lil extra dps, but after playing Knoc, Chaos W, and Battle Mage I have more fun with a sword/maul in his hand easily because I can actually kill stuff in a reasonable amount of time. I miss playing him as a Sorc. But yes, I absolutely do like the combat OH and appreciate all the hard work being done on the game still.

Default Re: Let's talk about end game casters (Arcane/Mystic)

Also yes I completely forgot to mention the mystic casters because they've been irrelevant longer than arcane (other than using them as a knock off healer) I forget they exist, thank you for bringing those up Lov. They definitely need some love too.

For fighting the regular T5 mobs I'm sure they're still fine (probably more so than when I leveled up Sorc as my first lvl 100 omg was that a grind). But this conversation I meant to specifically be about multiclassed Mystic/Arcane characters vs T6/epics... there's a reason we log in and see only 2 handers that wear plate, healers and rangers. The debuffs/dots are mostly useless vs a mob that has 6000+ health.

Can you imagine soloing Burris' List of Trophies (especially now that the Taskmaster/Ogre/Aegror's run in a group) or fighting Kwellon Zerkers as a bi-ped caster vs one of the meta classes.
    Last edited by Zachyattacky; April 30th, 2024 at 02:15 PM. Reason: typo's, title, etc

Thread Information