Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick visit to AE's Offices.

Default Quick visit to AE's Offices.

As most of you know, I did a quick visit to AE's offices last week. I wanted to let you all know how the visit went, what was discussed and give you some insight to what was shown to me there.

Iarrived in Phoenix airportWensday night around 1130pm. Amon was nice enough togive me a ride to the hotel I was staying at. After a nights sleep Amon picked me up from the hotel at 830am and tookme to the AE offices. Other than Steve F. the CFO wewhere the only ones there. We talked for a bit about what it was like working at AE, and whatis coming down the pipeline.

Rick S.arrived at the offices and I spent about an hour or so talking to him. Our talk was very enlightening as we discussed many of the issues facing Horizons technically.Among those issues is the factthat only 2 Gb of memory can be addressed per server. This memory limitation is the main reason thecurrent spawn code was created. AE is working on a 64bit port to address this issue and allow them to address all the memory of a server.

Chris Tulumellow was the second person I talked to and spent about 2 hours with him. Chris T. plays an adventurer in game and is excited aboutnew content coming down the line.

After talking with Chris T. I wentand talked with Amon,Zideon, Amadan and got a tour of the CS department of the company.Their new addition Rawdge hashelped them get the support que down to under 70 open issues. Their desks are next to Ssrydians and Manga'sso I hopped over and got a view of the upcoming blighted equipment. Ssrydian has been outsickand is still recovering from thatbut what I saw of what was completed it looks pretty good.

It was lunch timeand I was treated to lunch by David B,Chris T. and Rick S.During lunch we discussed what Horizons target audiance was. I stated that I felt that thecommunity of Horizons tended to be more mature than your typical MMPOG community and that while there is no hard proof of it. The horzion community also has a larger number of female members than you would expect to see in a MMPOG. We also discussed possible ways to broaden the audiance. There are plans to do this and blight equipment is just the first step but care must be given not to alienate the core members of horizons.

After lunch I had some one on one time with David B and we discussed many things.For starters, lore and quests are very dear to me and I started off the discussions with asking what are the plans for improving them.The start of racial quests have begun. As well asclass specific quests. And these quests will reveal more of the lore of Istaria. Also plans for a new program were discuss about player created content. Details of this plan I can reveal more later. Dragons, AROP and Lairs were a bigdiscussion. I saw the workings of lairs andit looks like it is progressing well. The frame work for AROP has been laid and all that seems to be left is the fine details of the Rite itself. AE is progressing slow on this as they want to ensure its the best it can be and is an experiance for those complete it. Bewarned. From what I saw, the AROP will not be for the faint of heart.

David B, had another meeting so I roamed over and bugged the server programmers. Smeglor had matters to tend too and left early so I didnt get to talk with him. But I did get to spend an hour or so with Tobias. We discussed the spawning issue at length.He charts everything. The number of possible spawns,number of monsters spawned, number ofmonsters despawned etc. And he watches those numbers. He showed methe results of some tweaks he didandhopefully how it will help alleviate the issue some.The main problem with the spawn issue is once again going back to the memory addressing of the server.Only two true fixes is either throw more hardware at it or complete the 64bit port. Both of which are beingworked on.

After discussing thespawn issue, Tobias then showed mea project he has been working on. The invasion system. The Blight anchors are justthe first passof this system and what is in development is much more complex. The easiest way to describe it is this.Commander monsters act as spawn generators. Commanders are placed in key positions with in blight strongholds. These commanders then spawn leader monsters around them. These leader monsters then follow thecommander aroundtill their numbers reach a certain level. At that point the leader monster then move off in an attempt to complete what ever mission they have. Thesemissions can range from just going from point A to point B to attacking a town or settlement.These leader monsters as they move will pick up monstersto take with them. If these monsters are not delt with they will invade an area and continue to cover more ground. It will be up to the players to kill the invasion and strike into the blight strongholds and kill the commanders to completely stop that invasion.

Something that was discussedbut not decided on was that while aninvasion was happening and if it went unchecked then spawns aroundthe invasion would be lessoned to simulateeither the conscription of monsters into the invasion or the scaring away of the wolves and deer andgruoks.The sample of the system I was shown looked very promising and I am anxious to see iton a live shard.

I then wentand talked with Illyst some and discussedways to make testing better and whatcould be done touse the forums to help himmore.

By this time it was late and the only ones left were David, Amon andme. David showed the tools they use to create the world landscape and the plans they have once the tools are furthered refined, to allow players to sculpt the land of their plots the way they want. Easiest way to describe it, is the map editor from Sim City. how you can raise land or level it or lower it below water line.This will allowplot owners to custom lay their plot how they want it. Of course this is contingent on beable to redo buildingsso they form to the terrain they are placed on.

I left theAE offices around 830pm and felt like I still needed another 12 hours to see everything.

Default Re: Quick visit to AE's Offices.

Wow! Nice update. Sounds very promising.

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

What no Oompa Loompas?!
    PersonalJustice the Demon Slayer - Chaos

Master Crafter: 1900 Levels

WTB Undead Legions. Paying $12.95/month

Thanks Dangit. Very nice summary.

=^.^=

Got Cowbell?

Can't wait to see some pummellage to those shiny cities full of juicy silos a Godzilla would love to stomp on [;)]
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Very nice and very promising - the invasion part, and hopefully a fun experience for all players.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

So Dangit...you can tell us...or at least hint a bit.

Does Ssyridian really wear a chicken outfit?
    Does Amadan secretly like dwarves?
    Is DB actually taller then a Gnome IRL?
    And other juicey tidbits like that?

Inquiring minds want to know these things! [;)] Not about all that gamestuff!

Okay..that is going to get me in trouble but thanks for the report. It was appreciated! The invasion thing sounds cool.
    Bori Grimbattle --->The Dwarf
    Sinistre Azazael---> The Fiend
    Adramaleck Flerious--->The Dragon

~Mystic Blades~
    ~Jambi,Order~

no outfit needed :) just joking Ssyridian :P

ever hear that oppisites attract?

Is DB actually taller then a Gnome IRL? well they have a display board in the offices that they used in E3, he isnt taller than that gnome, but then again that gnome is just as tall as a Saris

After discussing thespawn issue, Tobias then showed mea project he has been working on. The invasion system. The Blight anchors are justthe first passof this system and what is in development is much more complex. The easiest way to describe it is this.Commander monsters act as spawn generators. Commanders are placed in key positions with in blight strongholds. These commanders then spawn leader monsters around them. These leader monsters then follow thecommander aroundtill their numbers reach a certain level. At that point the leader monster then move off in an attempt to complete what ever mission they have. Thesemissions can range from just going from point A to point B to attacking a town or settlement.These leader monsters as they move will pick up monstersto take with them. If these monsters are not delt with they will invade an area and continue to cover more ground. It will be up to the players to kill the invasion and strike into the blight strongholds and kill the commanders to completely stop that invasion.

Something that was discussedbut on decided on was that while aninvasion was happening and if it went unchecked then spawns aroundthe invasion would be lessoned to simulateeither the conscription of monsters into the invasion or the scaring away of the wolves and deer andgruoks.The sample of the system I was shown looked very promising and I am anxious to see iton a live shard.

------

one word is all I need to say.

Nice

Quote Originally Posted by Bori Grimbattle
    So Dangit...you can tell us...or at least hint a bit.

Is DB actually taller then a Gnome IRL?
    And other juicey tidbits like that?

Inquiring minds want to know these things! [;)] Not about all that gamestuff!

Okay..that is going to get me in trouble but thanks for the report. It was appreciated! The invasion thing sounds cool.
    *ggg*
    Yeah, thanks Dangit for sharing, very nice post. :)
    I'd like especially to know how AE thinks they can broaden the auditory and attract more female players - and to hear more about the player made content program.

Horizons Empire

Lots of cool info here, and I surely do hope a fix for the lack of monster spawn comes soon. Thanks for the heads up and hope you had a good time!

Fridlekh

Tell them to get a copy of the 64 bit Windows Server 2003 RC1 and test the software on that, 32 bit processes can address 4 Gigs of linear address space when run under 64 bit Windows. The use of the added registers in the CPU usually adds performance to unoptimized code as well.

Fridlekh

Quote Originally Posted by Vahrokh
    Can't wait to see some pummellage to those shiny cities full of juicy silos a Godzilla would love to stomp on [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-5.gif[/img]
    Yeah, too bad that there can be 0 destruction to player made structures(but not community structures like lamp posts, walls, bridges, etc), so the worst that can happen is you have a MOB camping in the middle of those silos until you kill it.

Hex

I have to give you credit dangit that was alot of good game content info. Maybe next time you could show what you have done to the guys at AE and explain to them that communiction is a good thing. :)

Very intriguing info!

Can't wait for the next 12 hour installment [:D].
    Truth is absolution - Killswitch Engage
    Gusi: 100 lvls of ELAR deleted and crafting forte.
    Aquzon: 0/100 Draconic Crafter achieved in under 100 hours gameplay.
    Yuthakon: 31 Berserker and aspiring Constructor.
    Proud member of Strata on Order Realm

Hey Dangit,

Sorry I had to leave early that night. I didn't know who you were when we were briefly introduced. Nice to meet you. [:)]

I would have shown you more details about the Blighted Equipment, and would have liked to talk to you more.

You'll just have to come again sometime. [;)]

*reactivates autosubscription*

*hopes we'll see all these things in 2005* :)
    Celenor Sarafien - Unity - Proud member of Shinzawai.
    93 ranger/47 healer/37 tailor/36 mage/21 weaver/15 fletcher

Ziggy

They treated you to lunch?!? Now we know where all that money from our subscriptions is going!! =)

A huge THX from my side Dangit for these information.

But I thing I miss in that all: "What will happen to te EU-players on Unity? How its going on with GN? Is there any hope to solve the confoundet problems we have with GN?

Quote Originally Posted by Chaldor
    A huge THX from my side Dangit for these information.

But I thing I miss in that all: "What will happen to te EU-players on Unity? How its going on with GN? Is there any hope to solve the confoundet problems we have with GN?
    If you provide the plane tickets, I'm sure Dangit would be more then willing to go over [:P].
    Truth is absolution - Killswitch Engage
    Gusi: 100 lvls of ELAR deleted and crafting forte.
    Aquzon: 0/100 Draconic Crafter achieved in under 100 hours gameplay.
    Yuthakon: 31 Berserker and aspiring Constructor.
    Proud member of Strata on Order Realm

Thread Information