Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Ancient Rite of Passage

Default Re: Ancient Rite of Passage

After reading all the posts for/against long/short time requirements...

...I've come to conclusion that the long timer I am wanting is the way to go. There are no good arguments for having it 100 days, and many good arguments for having it 200-365 days. I'm also leaning towards accepting the idea of in-game timer as well as 100+ days after adult RoP timer; the latter being essential IMHO.

Some say it'll take a long time for a casual gamer to build a dragon up to these reqs. However, for these same casual players it will take a long time to build up a 100/100/100/100 biped adventurer. Ancient status is dragon endgame in similar manner to 3+ capped classes are for bipeds. Neither should be achieved easily.

Others say it is too long, they'll be left with nothing to do while waiting to fulfill ARoP reqs. This is a separate problem, lack of game content and entirely AE's headache not ours, and as such should not impact discussion ARoP requirements (not relevant). Even after completing the Rite, you are stuck with the same perceived problem of 'nothing to do'.

Incidentally, this suggests 365 days is a suitable number as it divides opinions between casuals and hardcore. Add the other two timers and we should be set.

Dragon adventurer 100 | Dragon crafter 100 | Dragon lairshaper 84

gopher65

Many of you seem to be forgetting one key fact: This is a game and it should be fun for all players. This does not mean that PLing should be made easy, or that there shouldn't be a time-since-creation requirment, or anything like that. It simply means that you shouldn't torture players every chance you get *coughEQcough*.

1. Time requirment: My dragon is more than 200 days old. He is lvl 25. How many bipeds do you think are in this position? I could PL him up to 90/90 in a month without doing any real work. Even if you make the time since creation req 1 year, my dragon will be 1 year old soon enough. Then I could PL him. How would that stop sleeper dragons in the long run? It isn't even a real short term solution. (note: I have no intention of PLing my dragon. In fact I eventually plan to do the RoP as solo as possible. Even if I have to be lvl100 to do it:)).

Alla ime requirement does is frusterate people who joined the game less than 6 months ago. You don't think 6 months is a long time? In 6 months some people have lvled multiple characters to lvl 100, and then left the game because they can't find anything else to do[:S].

What about people who created a dragon the first day the game was released, then cancelled their account. They will have dragons more than 1 year old without playing more than a few days (or maybe a month). An in game time requirment would not fix this. Some people would be perfectly content to log on and sit their character down in Dalimond square for 2 months (or while they slept, or whatever. You get the idea). Can you IMAGINE the lag that would create? An in-game time requirement is so easy to get around that there is absolutely no point to having it. (case in point: one of my friends used toplay almost the same amount I did. She had very nearly twice the ingame time I did because I logged out when I went to school or work or sleep. She had an uber computer and didn't need to relog very often, and so just stayed ingame for 5 or 6 hours at a time while she was AFK).

Quote Originally Posted by gopher65
    Many of you seem to be forgetting one key fact: This is a game and it should be fun for all players. This does not mean that PLing should be made easy, or that there shouldn't be a time-since-creation requirment, or anything like that. It simply means that you shouldn't torture players every chance you get *coughEQcough*.

1. Time requirment: My dragon is more than 200 days old. He is lvl 25. How many bipeds do you think are in this position? I could PL him up to 90/90 in a month without doing any real work. Even if you make the time since creation req 1 year, my dragon will be 1 year old soon enough. Then I could PL him. How would that stop sleeper dragons in the long run? It isn't even a real short term solution. (note: I have no intention of PLing my dragon. In fact I eventually plan to do the RoP as solo as possible. Even if I have to be lvl100 to do it[img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]).

Alla ime requirement does is frusterate people who joined the game less than 6 months ago. You don't think 6 months is a long time? In 6 months some people have lvled multiple characters to lvl 100, and then left the game because they can't find anything else to do[img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-7.gif[/img].

What about people who created a dragon the first day the game was released, then cancelled their account. They will have dragons more than 1 year old without playing more than a few days (or maybe a month). An in game time requirment would not fix this. Some people would be perfectly content to log on and sit their character down in Dalimond square for 2 months (or while they slept, or whatever. You get the idea). Can you IMAGINE the lag that would create? An in-game time requirement is so easy to get around that there is absolutely no point to having it. (case in point: one of my friends used toplay almost the same amount I did. She had very nearly twice the ingame time I did because I logged out when I went to school or work or sleep. She had an uber computer and didn't need to relog very often, and so just stayed ingame for 5 or 6 hours at a time while she was AFK).
    This is the entire point behind having a time requirement after adult, level requirements, hoard requirements, ingame requirements ect. Of course you could powerlevel your dragon in many of those areas and make him an ancient, just like a dragon can powerlevel a biped toon to 5x100. There are only so many sleeper dragons with 365days.

These hypothetical examples of people slipping through the requirements are no reason to make the requirements pathetically easy, as that does nothing to solve the so called problem.
    Vesuvius Veix
    100/100 Dragon of Order with 26+ Million Hoard
    Officer of the Keir Chet k'Eilerten
    "Why am I cynical you ask? Because I have been given little to make me feel otherwise."

To reduce lag, AE needs to implement an auto log off feature.

As players move their characters through Istaria, rendering objects, why should they have to wait for a player's character to render when he/she is AFK?

Makes a lot of sense, really. 30 minutes should be more than enough of a check to see if the character is not moving from that position. Now at world boundaries (as you know players may tend to fly across the world then auto recall and continue), well it can't be fully stopped I guess.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Those people are paying the same 12.95 a month. If they find enjoyment in sitting a character afk for 60 days and having them sleep for 365, powerlevel the other requirements in short time, and never really play the character then they can.

Are they going to have the respect or satisfaction of truely accomplishing it? No.

But by making the requirements weak, it effectively removes that respect/satisfaction for players who truely want to put the effort and commitment forth.

Chances are, these few people who do make sleeper ancients wont play them at all anyway and you will never see them.
    Vesuvius Veix
    100/100 Dragon of Order with 26+ Million Hoard
    Officer of the Keir Chet k'Eilerten
    "Why am I cynical you ask? Because I have been given little to make me feel otherwise."

Things are getting to nasty in this thread, too many insults, to even go through each one and edit it. This thead is now locked. Please feel free to restart again, minus the insults.

Thanks

Thread Information