Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gathering forces by the AI to kill towns...

Default Gathering forces by the AI to kill towns...

It was a feature advertised, and would still be a cool thing. Finding a group of Undead gathering to attack a nearby town. Calling out to others to help kill the force before it attacks the town. Possibly defeating them before they attack. Or failing to stop them and they attack the town. Destroying part of it, which will need to be rebuilt. Or having to come back in and drive them out of the town.

Or

Undead attack a bridge that has been build. Defend it, if not it is destroyed.

Or

Undead attack houses in a town, destroying the house(s). Pain to rebuild but its all part of the game.

Or

Attacking a area of undead, killing 100s , the blight begins to roll back! just a little, but enough to show us that we CAN win this war. Would take a long time to push back all the blight , and about time we do. I'm sure you could have something else going on.

Default Re: Gathering forces by the AI to kill towns...

Aye, having dynamic WA and blight would be nice, and I think that it is coming soon...I personally can't wait
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

I suppose a year late is better then not at all...

Blue_Moonrider

On the issue of destroyed buildings and such the initial understanding was that player built items would not be destroyed but the WA would occupy the area and make it difficult if not imposible to use the structures. While having the WA destroy buildings would be immersive to the extream it would also be *VERY* frustrating. Not being able to reach your plot is still frustrating but gathering your friends and cleaning WA guts off your porch after a few hours of slaying is more fun, especialy if the blight rolls out of the settlement as each (whatever) dies. Just a suggestion, but *killing* towns feels like a very bad idea.

OMG ! please, NO ATTACKS on plots that can destroy the hard work of players who built that plot !!!!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    Garden Gnome - Order
    Impure Mage lvl 52 / Enchanter 45 / Spellcrafter 42 / Mason 23
    ( Last of the Forgotten )
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    (99.6% html free signature)
    Nicolas de Chamfort : "Swallow a toad in the morning and you will encounter nothing more disgusting the rest of the day."

most people who play this game don't have enough guts to war against the WA dynamically. heck if it was, then adventurers will actually have value. no no no. bad idea. what's wrong with you soldier?!

so the leastus real adventurers/defenders/bored-out-of-our-wits-leftoverscan ask for, isthe watered down version:

the WAcome to town. they don't do anything. they don't destroy anything.they don't chant "WA rules!". they don't bring flags. they don't bring signs. they don't set fires (to keep warm or something). they just stand around and wait for the gifted to come and kill them.

same as the days of Mineos, Titus, Gorto etc...

well, i wouldn't say totally destroy the whole plot completly, and in 2 seconds. I think it would take days to destoy a few buildings. Wouldn't this put a bit of effort into defending your town then? Wouldn't that be the reason to defend a place , save lives, save property? Sure its a pain in the butt to build a place, but that would give a person more meaning to defend his home. Instead of just annoying him because they have to run around the undead.
    If you want to have no risk, why are you playing this game? Risk is a part of everything, and makes life pretty dull if its gone. Don't complain that the undead destroyed a wall , say WHOA they destroyed a wall, thats cool. No other game out there has that. Horizons was going to have it, and should still put it in.

Blue_Moonrider

Again I iterate that this is a bad idea. Demeaning those who do not wish to have their hard work destroyed by a game dynamic as cowardly, boring, non-risk takers does nothing to further the discussion. Would attacking player towns be exciting? Yes, certainly. I think the better idea than having the WA destroy the hard work of players (certainly angering more than a few) is to have the WA set up shop until players drive them out. Think of a force of 30-40 lvl 80's strolling into a player town and squishing everybody there, shuting down the bindstone (people bound there divert to Taz or something so they don't get 1000's of dps) and closing off the portal. I think most people would agree that being a part of the 50 player force that came in to liberate homes and shops is much more fun than coming in to liberate smoking plots and burnt out shops. Less risk, sure. More epic and emmersive, definately considering that those walls you want the WA to knock down do a good job of keeping players out too and make that aerial insertion the dragon platoon pulled off even more exciting. So, just because their is less risk don't assume it is more exciting. Often, it just has a large propensity to back-fire.

Well in this we will disagree i guess on the meaning of fun. To me defending something that i've worked hard to build , adds more meaning to me then just being annoyed. There is no meaning to the attacks if there isn't a punishment, no chance of people losing something. And i'm not saying that only Players will be able to defend the towns. Town guards will be helping, so the place won't be totally defensless. The walls of the towns will of course be attacked first. If the walls fall then the plots of land will be in danger. Defend your home! sounds better then defend the area or they will annoy you.

Looks at his little book . . .

3 "Amid gorgeous landscapes, a diverse population builds and protects homes, villages and lives." [well, build doesn't apply to dragons yet]

Protecting homes and villages can imply that they will get damaged. It just seems the Avatar of Pain and his groupies were very poor at it in Harro and Morning Light before the merge.

Collision detection is needed or pathing AI around walls. Stronger guards too. Then player built structures can be at risk.
    Jaraiden -- Adult dragon, life mate of Shadowwalker, bonded 7/31/04 (Dawn --> Order)
    Adult 73/82 | hatchling 56/65 (70.8 days) [3/9/04 to 3/4/05, 4/12/06 to 4/13/07, Current]

1. Fix what is broken. -- 2. Finish what is incomplete. -- 3. Add to complement lore.

Jodri Rocknhammer

iowned the first plot on the left as you enter harro it was instant death if you logged on most nights by the aop spawn that hung around my house now i call that an invasion

people don't got what it takes to truly play this game.

they destroyed my walls! waaaa...

it's a friggin war going on, people. and yes Virginia, walls can be destroyed during a war. imagine that.

HELL YA BRING ON THE WA!!!!!!!!!!

I dont care about stupid walls or houses.. I want war damnit!
    Frons Von Frik - Order

Knock down the bloody walls, and I will build them back up...

Take my city, destroy my work, prevent me from using the port, and I will strive to take the city back...

If you are worried about your plot taking damage, well then you better get on your armor and go defend your house, dammit...

In a war, the primary goal is to destroy the enemy, but the way to that goal is to take the enemy's cities and destroy their ability to make war...

Bring the WA on, and give me a reason to get more adventure levels...Let me defend Sslanis or Harro from wave after wave of undead, and then take it back we should fail...

And I will shout the glories of HZ from the rooftops...
    Death is the ultimate dilemma and integral to the beliefs and behavior of every culture. Life is bore on the corpses of the dead. Without death, there would be no motivation to do anything. The only emotion would be existing. Life would be pestilent and agonizing.

Ssilmath Torshak
    Paladin of Kass, Master Armorsmith

Yes , that is what i'm talking about. I left UO cause it had no real challenge. You built up money , a house, items, no worries. Who wants to have a care free world?
    I'd love to see this in the game. Unfortunitly, i don't see AE being able to get this done anytime soon. Unless they can find another investor who has enough money to spend, or i win the lottery...

Actually a few months back the WA wandered into Aughundel (I think it was Aug)
    and killed all the npcs and even destroyed the gate. And they also went into Harro
    and did the same thing a couple of times. So yes, it can happen, and has happened.

I was a young character at the time and did not take part in either battle, but
    someone must remember it...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Moonrider
    On the issue of destroyed buildings and such the initial understanding was that player built items would not be destroyed but the WA would occupy the area and make it difficult if not imposible to use the structures. While having the WA destroy buildings would be immersive to the extream it would also be *VERY* frustrating. Not being able to reach your plot is still frustrating but gathering your friends and cleaning WA guts off your porch after a few hours of slaying is more fun, especialy if the blight rolls out of the settlement as each (whatever) dies. Just a suggestion, but *killing* towns feels like a very bad idea.
    The original concept they described before beta was that anything on your personal property would never be destroyed just because it would suck to have that destroyed. However, community structures could be destroyed. So I suppose those community shrines and bridges would be fare game but stuff on your personal plot would not be. I'm not sure where guildhouses would fit in that scheme. Maybe since someone owns that plot it counts as personal and would be immune.

Even now it's sometimes not possible to reach your house safely. Such as when the AoP is camping Morning Light or somesuch. It would be nice if they improved the dynamics so that it isn't so much a wandering monster which you have to kill every time it spawns (if you want to access your house safely) as an invasion which you thwart by doing something else -- such as killing a leader or spawn point or whatever which probably wouldn't be in town and once thwarted you can be reasonable confident you'll have some period of safety. Something more realistic anyway.

Lockwood

By all means bring an invasion, and if you tear down my buildings....means I wasn't doing my job. If you dont' want your buildings at risk, build inside dalimond, or at the center of morning light. Find a place with walls and cower in fear. You can be sure that if Order's South March gets raided I'm going to abandon making slate bricks and start slapping the WA with everything this cleric's got, and healing everything that's on my side.

Course, I'd be doing that even if everything COULDN'T get torn down.

AE could always take the easy way out and please everyone a little bit; let buildings be damaged but no matter what not destroyed. that way if your town gets invaded for the next three weeks because you spend all of your time gathering kenaf and not killing things, when it finally gets freed you have SOME work to do and then everything will be rebuilt. You won't get off scott free, but you won't be heavily penalized for focusing on crafting aspects.

I can see both sides of this argument. Construction crafting is incredibly boring and there is a sense of achievement when you finally finished however if it gets destroyed by a WA attack and you have to spend hours and hours to rebuild you dont have the same reward.

BUT as if an invader isn't going to sack and burn their enemies buildings there will be destruction and mayhem and there should be.

I want War with the WA
    I want them to attack
    I want to defend towns
    I want to fight the WA along side my friends
    I dont want to be AOE one shotted
    I dont want lag inspired death

I think all structures should be fair game however perhaps the resources required to repair them should not exceed more than 1/4 to build it even if its completey destroyed. It should also be take considerable time to complete destroy eg 1-2 days to level a building.
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

I wouldn't say your house can be destroy in seconds, or hours. But damaged a bit, take days for it to be destroyed. But a town should have defenses , walls, guards, and such. A attack on a town would take time.

Course, i think this would also have to work the other way. WA areas should be have the option to be attacked as well. but would take a long time to take over the town.

Thread Information