Thread: A Better way to Patch

Spiritblade

Default A Better way to Patch

I'd like to know why the patch process HAS to scan EVERY game file before downloading a new patch.

Is there any reason why, since a given patch is designed to replace and update a known set of file(s) that it can't just scan the file(s) that a given patch is designed to update, before downloading and updating said file(s)?

Also, since I've always been under the impression that Horizons SUPPORTS player Mods, such as Maps and Markers, that EVEN THOUGH the patch of the moment has NOTHING new to add (Map or Marker wise), it STILL replaces the map/marker modifications made by players and forces them to have to reinstall such modifications again?

It seems to me that both the Fastest and Best way for the patch process to run, is for the patch installer to put some kind of marked/coded file in the game directory, that identifies what version of patch was last installed, and each new patch just checks it against the new version of patch (and updates it to reflect the current version being installed), and if the version already installed on game is identified as updated to the last version of patch before the current version, then ONLY the files the new patch is designed to change need be checked, and then ONLY those files updated. If, on the other hand, the version detected by the identifier file is MORE than one version old, THEN have a full scan automatically done to make sure all files are updated (for those that have been away from game more than a couple weeks)

This way, the patch process will run MUCH faster. There will be MUCH less downloaded and installed from the servers with files the customers DON'T WANT to be replaced anyway (and will only get put back by the customers to how they had itbefore with their Mods) and if nothing else....less scanning/downloading/installing should lighten the loads from the patch servers and make the patching process a less stressfull timesink for the customer before the game.

And since there is still the option to CHOOSE to do a full scan, in case someone has any problems, I just feel that all things considered, this would be a better way of patching.

What do you think?

Blue_Moonrider

Default Re: A Better way to Patch

I second that, getting booted to grab a quick patch during auction time had me staring at that blue bar willing it to go faster. Quicker patcher definately a plus.

Spiritblade

I just feel it would help us all out, both with less strain on the patch server and the frustrations we have due to long waits during patching and having to reinstall our Mods everytime a patch comes out.

Astroth

Great thought. I had that in mind too, a few weeks ago. They should make it so the server will have a code or version that everytime additions are added, the number auto regenerates to a new code (maybe +1 the last number?). And When the system has like 35683146 and you have 35683145, it will have stored in memory that it added file a,b, and c. But changed file d. So it will then just upload the additions, and upload the changes to file d. If that makes sense, then well, thats what it should be like. [8-|]

Spiritblade

Yeah, but too bad they won't do it. You'd think if nothing else the thought of decreasing the patch server strain and bandwidth usage by not downloading stuff we don't want patched (like map markers for instance) would prompt them to approach patching this way lol

In the Horizons directory there is another directory named "resources_override". I suspect it was intended for such customizations, but apparently is not activated for some reason.
    [^o)]
    Regards;
    --------->Hasai

"I feel like a fugitive from the Law of Averages."

The only problem with using a checksum type method is a file is stored on the client (users) end it can be tampered with which means they may get mispatched.

The other issue that comes to mind is new users doing a fresh install from cd would not have the required files so it would need to support the existing method and a new method.

I would LOVE to see a non active X control launch and patcher and hopefully it is comming soon the current method is awful. If resources override worked that would be great as well.
    Zodias of Order
    Sprit Disciple Quilt, Miner

Monk Issue List

Thread Information