Thread: Chapter 2: Birth of a Warrior

Default Chapter 2: Birth of a Warrior

My journey begins in New Trismus, one of several islands that had been occupied by the weakest ranks of the Aegis army. For some reason, they don?t seem to care much about taking control of these islands, and has been setup as a training ground of sorts by the Living Races. Almost as if this were a game to them?the Aegis actually give us time to prepare ourselves and become stronger so they can have more enjoyment slaying us when we finally leave to the real challenges ahead. A strange place indeed, filled with other ?gifted? souls who were just as lost, confused, and as saddened as myself. I had begun my training as a Warrior in the Hall of Learning where I first met Ryson, but he told me that I would truly begin to understand combat when I finally left the hall. So, standing in the middle of this town with a dull blade and a small shield, I set out to find some sort of direction with this new ?life? of mine.

The people that I met there tried to be friendly, but were also in search of direction. We were all alone, and as comforting as it is to have a companion to talk to, our circumstances of how we arrived didn?t lend itself well to making idle conversation. I noticed that there were several people who didn?t seem to leave the area, and were also dressed slightly better than the dull green garment I arrived with. I spotted a woman who was standing next to several weapons in a small tent: swords, axes, mauls, maces, and others. I knew she had to have some type of knowledge of what was going on, and perhaps could give me some guidance. As I walked closer, she noticed the sword in my hand and actually beckoned me to come to her. After some conversation, she told me that she in fact was a warrior trainer, and could help me to better understand close range combat. To get me started, she asked me to go behind her tent to a field a short distance away and practice on some of the creatures that were indigenous to the area. As I wandered off, I spotted one of the creatures; a hideously overgrown white maggot, easily as large as a child. Drawing my sword and shield, I prepared for battle. Recalling the lessons taught by my father, I knew these would be extremely simple fights?or so I thought.

I rushed towards the maggot and swung my sword. I lost my balance and fell forward, lying next to this disgusting creature. The maggot didn?t even take notice to my effort to kill it, and continued wandering. Again, I attacked?and yet again, I missed. I couldn?t understand what was happening. This maggot was enormous, and I already had training with a sword as a child, so how could I possibly have such difficulty? I stood up, took a deep breath, and readied myself once more. The maggot, now aware of my presence, just looked at me. Not looking as if it were worried, it just stared; mandibles opening and closing while it breathed. The element of surprise was obviously ruined. Raising my shield, I held my sword firmly and steadied myself. When I attacked this time, I had to do it right.

I leapt forward, striking it directly in the center of its bulbous mass. A piercing cry could be heard from its mouth, and I quickly struck again. In defense, its jaws opened and lashed out at me. The tongue had some sort of barbed end, and literally stuck into my shield. It tried to pull the shield from me, andknocked me off balance. I regained my footing, and it lashed at me once more. I avoided the strike and sent my bladethrough its head. One down, four to go. It didn?t take long for me to find more of these creatures, and I continued to strike them down. After finding the fifth maggot, I returned to my trainer, who could tell that I was eager to continue. When I told her about my first confrontation, she smiled. She could see that I was obviously concerned about why it was so difficult for me. She then asked me to take a look at myself again. She explained that while my mind remembers some of my training, my body underwent such a rapid change that it basically had to be taught everything from the beginning. Congratulating me on completing my first task, she gave me some coin and began to explain more about close combat, or ?melee? as it?s called here. Again, she asked me to seek out more of these maggots, and I was sent on my way. As I continued to slay these beasts, I felt myself becoming more adept with using the sword. After cutting down another series of these slimy maggots, I started heading back. I noticed something that looked similar to a boar grazing on the grassy fields. Slowly, I crept up to it, wanting to take it by surprise. Ha, this would be nothing. Just as expected, the beast was slain with little effort. Taking a moment to pride myself on my easy victory, I sat down on the hillside. A few minutes passed, and my mind began to wander off to distant and peaceful memories of Selen.

My daydreaming was short lived as another boar approached from behind. I quickly rose with sword in hand, ready to face off against this wild animal. This one was different from the one I fought before?its stance was much firmer and its head was held down, as if it were preparing to charge. Realizing that my shield still lay on the ground, I slowly stepped back, trying not to startle this obviously aggressive creature. Not only was it noticeably stronger than it?s slain kin, it was apparently smarter too. Its head still down, I caught its eyes as they glanced up at me, then down to my shield. In an instant, it sprung into action. Running at me with incredible speed and with little time to react, I crouched down and braced myself for its attack. I was hit directly in the stomach and thrown on my back, several feet from where I was hit. I stumbled back to my feet, gasping for air. Again, the beast put its head down and rushed. Not wanting to have the wind knocked out of me more than it already had been, I jumped for my shield. Inches away from me, the boar closed in. I had no time to get to my feet, and even if I could, there was no way that I could brace myself for another impact like before. Using the shield as a ramp, I tilted it slightly and placed it over my chest. The weight of this animal was incredible as it started to pass over me; the pressure alone would surely crush my rib cage if something wasn?t done fast. With both arms holding the shield in place, I let out a huge scream as I attempted to lift the weight off of me. Losing balance now, it stumbled over itself, face plowing into the ground and started to slide across the grass. I was in pain, but knew I had no time to rest. I grabbed my sword and got on my feet as fast as I could. Intent on giving me the same fate that I had given the creatures before it, I was rushed repeatedly. I landed hit after hit, but so did this beast. I was weakening fast and struggling to maintain. The boar was also hurting badly by now, but continued the ongoing rampage. Both of us on the verge on defeat, we stared each down?all it took was one blow from either of us to win or lose. I thought of running, but knew that I was too weak to get away. Ryson told me that I was immortal, but I was also in no rush to test the accuracy of his words. A brief flashback of my last moment in Selen appeared to me, and I saw that horrible Aegis soldiers? face again. Shaken at the thought of dying once more, I steadied myself and held my shield low, waiting for the creatures? final rush. Also aware of the situation, the boar lowered its head and glared at me. Its charge began. The approach was fast and unrelenting; every ounce of strength its battered body could muster was focused into taking me down. As if in a dream, I heard my father call to me.

I closed my eyes.

A memory replayed of he and I during one of my childhood sword lessons. He was always a fan of using flashy sword techniques, and was constantly trying to get me to try them. One of his favorites involved a mid-air spin and slash combination. I listened as he explained the motions?then watched as he gracefully sprung into the air, aiming his blade at the sky as if he was trying to pierce Heaven itself. I focused my thoughts and positioned my body exactly as he told me. I felt the beast closing in, and opened my eyes. In one fluid motion, I knelt forward slightly and shifted my weight to one leg, then thrust my sword diagonally into the beasts side. Still clutching the sword as it began to rip through layers of hide and muscle, I leapt into the air, doing a full spin as I rose. It let out a shriek of immense pain as my blade continued the assault of its insides while I proceeded to rise in the air. When my feet touched the ground, my body collapsed from exhaustion and I dropped to one knee. With one eye open, and drenched in blood from face to foot, I looked at what remained of the boar?a body cut in half, with entrails sprawled in all directions, connected only at the head where my blade failed to reach. A few twitches, and the massive beast that had nearly slain me lay in a pool of its own blood.

I regained my breath and stood, still staring at the pile of the flesh before me. I was becoming a warrior, and knew that this would only be the first of many encounters. For now, it would be random beasts that roamed the land. I turned around and started to walk away, silently thanking this beast for the battle. A wicked grin came to my face as I promised myself that one day, when I was stronger?I would do the same to the Aegis.
    Carinde "Demigoddess" Ryder
    Citizen of Order, Axe & Anvil Guild

Default Re: Chapter 2: Birth of a Warrior

Nice story!
    Keep it up!
    Ular Naga

Proud "Handy Man" of the -Dark Saga-
    Unity Shard

"First i followed the light then the blight, but suddenly nature showed me the path to walk"

Thread Information