Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GN dead? bankrupt? gone?

Default Re: GN dead? bankrupt? gone?

I would be surprised if Mr Tullomello doesn't know anything, Demelza.

I would have thought he would have gathered a lot of information about this game before making his decision to purchase it, including facts and figures on the European side of the business.

Time has gone on and I would honestly expect that the man has at least a plan for Unity whcih may or may not include GN. Time for him to share it now as the waiting game is becoming a trifle boring.

And as an aside, "if Chris doesn't yet know anything then chances are we won't either", ....... who on earth is he waiting on to tell him what is going to happen? God and His devine intervention?

Rainbow

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow
    God and His devine intervention?
    *reaches down*

Listen to me my child, inform your playerbase!

:P

hehe nice one rain, yeah god would be nice

all i know for sure is that AE/TG are 'talking' with gn, but i agree the waiting game got boring a while ago

hrmp my account expires in 10 days

would it be wise to make more then monthly renewals ?
    hm thinking of pausing any way

any suggestions ?

greetings dunkel
    dunkel_ice helian 100 100 5,5 mio hoard
    dunkelzahnjr helian 80 42 280 k
    Hrdunkelzahn helian 80 41 280 k
    now all adult

Quote Originally Posted by dunkelzahn
    hrmp my account expires in 10 days

would it be wise to make more then monthly renewals ?
    hm thinking of pausing any way

any suggestions ?
    Never did anything else than monthly subs. And atm, I'm a bit tired, so I might even use the next expire for some holidays from Istaria...
    Dvergar Blutaxt @ Unity (former ICE) / Paladin 97 - Mason 100 // before hibernation

SmallFluffyBunny

Well if GN Go then U will have to start again at lvl 0, and I dont really think HZ is a complete enough game to start at lvl 0 again :)

Quote Originally Posted by SmallFluffyBunny

Well if GN Go then U will have to start again at lvl 0, and I dont really think HZ is a complete enough game to start at lvl 0 again [img]/Web/emoticons/emotion-1.gif[/img]
    define go ? explode in flames.. and no backup at another building.. then yes, but if GN where tostop supporting Horizonsi guess there would be up to Tulga to either pickup the reins or hire some other company for this.
    100 Warrior |100 Guardian |100 Healer
    Unity [former Ice]

wich one would you pick ?

Asuming ofcourse that Gn is willing to give up the database..
    If they dont.. well.. that would be ..pretty bad..
    but on the other hand, what would they do with it?.. keep it locked in the basement.
    and only feed it bread and water?..
    Isair Maelowyn [Retired]

In half an odd way, starting over would have a tiny bit of appeal..

Then I wake the f**k up and think Noooooooooooo!!! [:|]

I can't... not again... I hope that doesn't happen. I'd rather GN keep the ******** license and continue as they have done than start over.

*shudders in a corner contemplating the possibility of another 3 months of Running*

It might sound silly but if starting all over would be the cost of dumping GN then I would rather start over then see the EU community get thinner every week.

Sure when ppl would have to start all over there will be ppl that will rant and quit but the ppl that really love Hz and believe in it will stay.

Every now and then I make me a new char to be like a noob but the only bad part of that is that I already know my way to getting up high effective.

Still I am looking forward on exploring the other noob islands. There are so many places most ppl have never seen on the noob islands.

I still have to explore the part on NB behind the tunnel in the blight area. I might go out there with my current char but then that could ruin it too.

What I kinda am trying to say here is that it´s all up to yourself how you enjoy this game, sure when I see lvl 50 mobs I have something like lets poor a drink and then I will take you lot out when I have enough of you around me.

When I make a new char I even have to run from a lvl 10 mob. I think you all get my point

SmallFluffyBunny

last game i played was by GN, they wanted a large amount of money to hand DB over ;)

First the things I read off IRC and were even reported on the forums:

Chris had at least two encounters on IRC.

It was too early for him to know or tell anything about our shard future.

At the moment AE still exists so saying it's not here anymore is not true.

The passage from AE to Tulga is not really easy as it seems. Expecially since with the Chapter 11 stuff in between everything is longer, more controlled, more boreaucratic.

Chris bought AE planning to direct AE, not GN. GN is "another problem" he'll afford after the foundations of the new company are posed. No way he can organize the financial and operational parts of two companies when AE is still to be disposed of.

And now the things that can just be guessed:

GN for AE is a problem but they are so loosely coupled that it's not an extreme priority. So they won't lose nigths to fix the situation at once.

GN could not care the less of the database of players.

They care of the servers and most, really most of all, the subscriptions.

The finance part is hairy: who is actually paying for us?
    We paid GN, sometimes (like in my case) multiple subscriptions expiring in months.
    Of course GN won't "give" the not used part of our subscriptions to AE.
    Of course AE won't want to pay more bandwidth, system administration and possibly new computers (or the transfer and fixing of the rusty irons we have) for players whose subscriptions were paid to GN already.

That's the only thing that will matter. Who pays.

I foresee an harsh armwrestling. Tulga not willing to get expenses with no subscriptions money since it's gone to GN already and GN not willing to do anything expensive to them.
    GN have nothing to lose if they put the servers in maintenance mode until the last player quits.
    But have nothing to gain if they ease at their expenses the transition to NA.

In the end all we can hope is that Chris sees enough potential off the scanthy European playerbase to be bothered investing money with no fast or assured return.
    Vahrokh Vain - Ancient dragon level 100 adv 100 craft 34M of untainted, fireworks and other crap free hoard.
    Isarion - Reaver Healer Spiritist, many craft classes.

Thank you, Vahrohk, for taking the time to explain as you did. A shame it took a player to explain this a little, but much appreciated, none the less.

So if I understand correctly, initially, the whole European part of this business/game, was sort of sold to GN by AE so that when Tulga appeared on the scene, it did not naturally include Europe and the contract with GN which may have needed re-negotiating?

GN owns the European database, which I have grasped easily enough, but what about the patches and things? Do they have to buy those from AE each time there is one?

Could GN, if they wished, refuse to update the game with new patches?

And what would happen if GN simply decided, because they have this sort of ownership of the European server side of things, one Monday morning that they would just shut the game and that's that? Can they do that?

Or maybe they would suddenly decide to give us updates that they create themselves and we find the next race that we get to free is some lost race from the planet Pluto??

I honestly believed that the bottom line was that the European side of things still belonged to AE and did not realise it had been "sold" to GN. I actually thought that GN had been contracted to manage it on behalf of AE.

Please excuse me if I still have the wrong end of the stick but it seems such a big muddle, even after your explanation.

Rainbow

we will never know what the exact contract will be.

We must try to be patient (bah bah bah bah bah) and wait for an official post by ae/tulga or gn about this. Chris T said a while ago that he is 'talking' to gn about this (how long can that take?) and he said to demelza that he keep her up to date.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow
    So if I understand correctly, initially, the whole European part of this business/game, was sort of sold to GN by AE so that when Tulga appeared on the scene, it did not naturally include Europe and the contract with GN which may have needed re-negotiating?
    Most likely GN got a license from AE to offer HZ in Europe. At least that's been the procedere with some other MMORPGs I know. So GN would pay a monthly fee to AE which allowed them to use the software and be supplied with patches and tech support. Of course, this license may have nearly any conditions, so no one not knowing the contract can say anything about it. They may be free to apply patches, they may be bound by contract. They might even have a minimum service to provide that is listed in the contract. And much likely they have a NDA in the contract (as no one is ever talking to us) [:(] Everything is possible.
    Dvergar Blutaxt @ Unity (former ICE) / Paladin 97 - Mason 100 // before hibernation

Quote Originally Posted by Isair
    I think we all need to know whats going on..
    Good to know ur on it tho dem ;)

But doesnt it just feel like they dont really care anymore?..
    No info, exepct "server offline for maint"... "sever is now online" on the login
    page.. is this all they do these days, reboot server twice a week? :p
    I think thats even an automated process lol
    Myca Ghimerov, Fiendish Wizard, Sorcerer, Enchanter, Mason. Retired.

Proud Member of the Steel Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Sunuke
    It might sound silly but if starting all over would be the cost of dumping GN then I would rather start over then see the EU community get thinner every week.
    True enough... [;)]

I'm just not sure I could handle another 3 odd months of running about on 4 legs thanks... [:P] Although the pain is less when the Uk weather is being sensible and I can actually do my favorite hobby! [:D]

Thread Information