Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Deathpoints penalty

Default Deathpoints penalty

Just read this >>>

[img]/Web/Themes/default/images/icon-quote.gif[/img]Vahrokh wrote: Death points give way too little trouble to an adv. Else, they mostly disturb when you get some and try and craft and you discover that for 30 minutes you cannot do your stuff any more. Leechers have often 10-40 death points yet they go on very well.
    Let's reduce exp gained by 10% a death point and we'll see more cautious people.

Sounds like a great idea to me [Y]
    Orophin Eluch - Elf

Disappeared without a trace....

Default Re: Deathpoints penalty

i see everyone getting 0 exp per mob allready....no not for 8 hours 10% 8hours not good not good at all and with how mobs aggro in groups omg noone would get exp anymore everyone would be quittin becuase they got sick of standing around doing nothing for 3 and 1/3 days or more becuase mobs came in huge numbers...no i agree it should be changed but not like that! as for more catouas people dragons wouldnt be able to get through RoP (you have to be reckless to take on kaa and lem) reduceing exp for dieing is not a good idea...reduceing hp by 5% ea maxing out at 45% might be but still harsh anyways so far it works and worry about it when we are not expecting major content...eventually
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketsup
    Ssafire-lvl 100 Cleric, 100 Bloodmage, 100 Mage, 100 Druid, 90 Monk, Saris
    Safiretalon-lvl 66 dragon adventurer, lvl 32 dragon crafter, lvl 14 dragon lairshaper.
    Guild: Dark Defenders
    Horizons player since: December 21st 2003

perhaps reducing xp up to 75% at incremeants of 5% per deathpoint and capping once the dp reaches 75% for the duration of the already put in place system, ocne the dp penalty has wore off people reosrt back to normal xp gain

I love it!
    Truth is absolution - Killswitch Engage
    Gusi: 100 lvls of ELAR deleted and crafting forte.
    Aquzon: 0/100 Draconic Crafter achieved in under 100 hours gameplay.
    Yuthakon: 31 Berserker and aspiring Constructor.
    Proud member of Strata on Order Realm

I hate the idea personally. It will end up harming the normal players more than it will end up doing anything to the leechers. For example: a few nights ago, myself (lvl 64) and 2 other dragons in my guild (both lvl 61) went to do the flame pygmy/ogre quest.By the time we finished, 2 of us came out with 3 or 4 DPs, the third with 1 or 2. We were being cautious, but the spawn likes to blow up at random moments. One minute you are fighting one pygmy, the next, 3 have spawned behind you without you knowing and are now attacking you. Then they move on to the next one. We were not doing anything over reaching, and with 3 of us, it really should not have been a challenge. But because the spawn behaves the way it does, we ended up with more DPs than we should have...and aggrivated.
    Another good example is helping younger dragons with their RoP. The spiral can be a great place for XP gain...but it is insane with the constant respawn. I have gained a good number of DPs just from helping hatchlings with their RoP. The Shadow Dragon can be a good source of DPs for those who get close and dont have the scale.
    In the end, all something like this would do is drive away the people we want to keep around.
    Denrath, Lunus Ancient of Order

hehehe i love dem avatar! go Ger![:P]

I like the idea. After all, you did DIE. I mean it really should have some penalty
    that people don't just laugh off "oh yea, I have 20 DP, so what". And it would
    definitely reduce the amount of low level characters standing around in places
    they have no business being, sucking up exp from high level characters killing
    huge mobs. I would only make it affect the exp from the mobs being killed
    however, not on any exp you get from completing a quest. I have always been
    of the opinion that the negatives from death points were too small, but last
    too long.

This would just hinder progress. I remember the Satyr Caves when at times we could not get anybody to come out to defend the crafters or the ones that were defending had up to 15 or more DPs. If you limit the experiance gained while under a death penalty only the very community minded ones would volunteer for the job.

The same goes in the present with the anchors. More often then not it is the same people day in and day out that will clear the resources for the crafters, some getting a few death points for their efforts. The experiance reward here is little enough as it is, lower it more by the above proposal would not benefit.

So although it may slow down the power levelling for the part of the population that is into powerlevelling it would hurt the greater portion of players on a day to day basis.
    Bori Grimbattle --->The Dwarf
    Sinistre Azazael---> The Fiend
    Adramaleck Flerious--->The Dragon

~Mystic Blades~
    ~Jambi,Order~

Keeping myself alive I have down to a fine art [:)]

You just got to know your limitations and when to run for your life hehe. Yeah sometimes you can be jumped by mobs appearing on top of you but you always have a couple of seconds to take action before they are fully loaded: Well that has been my experience anyway.

As far as heading down the spiral to kill Kaa the Shade: I was part of a group that did just that the other night. We were not a strong group by any stretch of the imagination but we succeeded in our mission and not one char received a death penalty. you just got to know what you are doing down there.

I also believe the death penalty is nowhere near severe enough but does last for maybe a few hours too long as Senkeleron was saying. So I would make the penalty more severe like reducing by a percentage the amount of XP gained whilst under the DP but would also reduce the length of time it is with you.

From all the ideas I have heard regarding this Vahrokh`s is the most appealing to me. [Y]
    Orophin Eluch - Elf

Disappeared without a trace....

How many new players would the proposal attract?

How many players would decide to stay because of it?

Would any decide that this is the straw that breaks the myloc's back and leave?

Look at the number of players remaining after a year of tightening the screws. Has this policy worked so well that it needs to be furthered?
    ____Kulamata Quality Armor___
    None Genuine without this Pawprint `',''

Achiever 86%, Explorer 60%, Socializer 46%, Killer 6%.

Gwynnifer ApHelion

I agree with Kulamata. No amount of nerfing has ever increased player numbers. I recall a large exodus with the archer nerf, and other nerfs have led to player numbers continuing to dwindle since Horizons first went live. Do we really want to add to the hemorrhaging?

We don't need nerfs -- we need purpose and content, and a fair chance for every player to achieve his/her goals, from Level 1 through whatever level is deemed to be the ultimate.

When everyone leaves, there is no game left ... instead of end-game content, we will simply have end-of-game.

And all that jazz

what the straw this would be like placeing another planet ontop of its back and breaking it almost like an ant crushed by a brick

i for one would no longer be able to play
    Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketsup
    Safiretalon-lvl 66 dragon adventurer, lvl 32 dragon crafter, lvl 14 dragon lairshaper.

Its a good idea the death penalty needs to be a bit more harsh. [Y]

And if you learn your limitations you dont need to die that often.. if it takes away 5% xp per dp up to 75% that would be pretty good, people would stop beeing afk leeching and maybe pay atention to what is going on !! [Y]
    100 Warrior |100 Guardian |100 Healer
    Unity [former Ice]

wich one would you pick ?

Vindra

I'm not a fast leveller - been playing for a year now and my highest toon is a lvl 65 Pally - but I think, everybody is able to keep away from getting too many DPs..
    Most I ever had was 17 after some ridicously funny guild hunts.. couple days crafting took care of them..

And there's always Ambrosia, ey?

Good idea in many aspects but has some problems

First off components like zombie skulls,fiery dire fangs etc are in very nasty places where mobs can spawn all over in seconds. Also roots,mezzes and stuns (do they ever miss????) can be a death trap there. making harsh DP penalties is really a tough ordeal til class balance is done

some mobs were toughened to challenge the better players and powerful classes/multiclasses but when made such they still have comps all need powerful or not. So until all classes can attain levels able to combat these mobs with a fair sucess rate to gain items they need i think increasing penalty hurts them most and others too while leechers actually wnt get hit hard. In fact it might even increase leeching as players start to do that to avoid DPs

my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarius
    And if you learn your limitations you dont need to die that often.. if it takes away 5% xp per dp up to 75% that would be pretty good, people would stop beeing afk leeching and maybe pay atention to what is going on !! [img]/Web//emoticons/emotion-21.gif[/img]
    Unfortunately with all the bugs in the game and combat system (walking dead bug, creatures not registering where they really are, lag, memory leaks, combat queue freezes etc) and the new "dynamic" spawn routines it's impossible to know your limits these days. My limits tend to be level 40 spawns for my level 77 Paladin due to the bugs mentioned above. I tend to take many, many dps from the bugs mentioned above and this "phenomenal" new spawn system.

People are blinded by all the leeching talk screaming nerf all the way. It's like cutting the rope on a mountain climber who's fallen. It may be good for what you're doing but learn to consider how it affects others people.

If there was a flawless way of getting dps only from your actions then maybe a change wouldn't be bad, but as it stands there not only isn't but never will be.

Your proposal wouldaggro the leaching problem, its like using a toaster to drive a nail. You would be better off using a hammer. Adding an experience mod to DPs only hurts the casual player. The leach will just level X% slower, therefore the leach will leach X% longer. In effect what has happened is more leaching. To stop leaching you need to change the group mob bonus, or the xp tables.

Rocinante
    Fury of Feladan

loss of that much exp would kill solo...i know my limitations but with health bar bug i die alot more cuz i can see how much hps i have also it would not kill leaching if anything it would multiply it example your level 50 your groupesd with a level 50ish rezz you gett attacked die get rezzed by the time your over you get 100 exp from the lot so you have alot of dps..and ambrosia tops out at 80 also unless you find a confectioner you could burn all your money in one 15 min hunt

Sirra

How about just limiting the ability to gain xp when grouped with another player who is X% level/rating above. This will limit or eliminate leeching if you can't get xp when grouped with someone who's say 30 levels above you. eg: level 50 takes level 20 to power level, level 20 gets no xp at all.

It's been done in other games, and although there will be an outcry, people will adapt and figure out something. The above is just a suggestion, the real numbers would have to be determined by Tulga/AE

Sounds like a good idea...

...except this would create even less of a sense of danger than the current system for us level 100 dragons. Since we are already capped, an experience penalty means nothing to us.

On the other hand, it would be cool if this was added as a penalty on top of the existing penalties. Might help dissuade carelessness when powerleveling.

Fireclaw Longtail - Chaos Shard - Ancient Lunus Dragon
    100 Dragon Adventurer / 100 Dragoncrafter / 28 million hoard

Thread Information